There should be North with a much longer winter :P

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

There should be North with a much longer winter :P

Postby Lorefin » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:34 am

I've downloaded Autohaven by a mistake after entering the forum and decided to ekhm run around there and there to check what's going on in haven.... so as I'm skiing and fishing, catching rabbits and snowflakes - it's kinda cool to play with all the snow around, Im glad I spawned in winter haha

If there was a global map with the northern winterland on it, I'd settle there without any farms etc. :D At first I was about to say PERMA WINTER and from time to time I'd made travels south to gather some forageables

But in scandinavian mythos, people rarely lived like eskimoo, more like the further north you go, the weaker summers and tougher winters you get..

So perhaps after you enter some area northern areas, the winter is much much longer.
But it'd be still cool if the top of the map was still like perma where your igloos wouldnt melt and you could live in igloos instead of houses :D
Lorefin

Re: There should be North with a much longer winter :P

Postby Antvgr » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:43 am

I have been told that originally winters were longer, but some people cried and they were shortened. Would be cool if winters became long again. Coolest atmosphere among seasons.
Antvgr

Postby Massa » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:14 pm

Antvgr wrote:I have been told that originally winters were longer, but some people cried and they were shortened. Would be cool if winters became long again. Coolest atmosphere among seasons.

ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby The_Blode » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:28 pm

Antvgr wrote:I have been told that originally winters were longer, but some people cried and they were shortened. Would be cool if winters became long again. Coolest atmosphere among seasons.

Good take only possible from someone who isn't brainpoisoned by 4000 hours on the forums
*cough cough*
The_Blode

Postby abt79 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:28 pm

Winter is cool from the perspective of a larper who’s played the game maybe 3 hours but spent many hours fantasizing about how cool winter could be in theory - the devs, for example.

On the other hand, winter is bullshit that makes the game more tedious and breaks certain key facets of gameplay, from the perspective of players who have experienced the way it affects core gameplay loops firsthand even once. And who can recognize the developers’ pattern of “add neat larp shit and fix it 5 years later if ever” enough to know scuttling or at least lessening the mechanic is better than waiting who knows how long for it to reach a playable state.

So I agree(!) with the above poster, in a sense: “make winter longer” is a good take that can only come from someone whose brain hasn’t been poisoned by playing Haven and Hearth.

Tangentially: the shortening of winter a few years ago can be seen either as an admission that quality of life features improve the Gameplay in a Game more than adding tedious and unfun bloat regardless of larp potential…or as an acceptance of defeat by devs who’ve long since lost the passion for their passion project and figure they might as well cater to the audience their competitive PVP game has accrued. An exercise for the reader.
abt79

Postby Lorefin » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:02 pm

Yes that's why I said there should be a small patch of northern land for larpers :)
Lorefin

Postby Kamekono » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:25 am

Here we have a saying: "It's neither meat nor fish", which you use to describe something that doesn't really fit in any category.

Most videogames use winter in one of two ways:
1. As ambience. Landscapes turning white, snow falling from the sky, and maybe some unimportant seasonal item is added. In this kind of games, it doesn't matter if it's winter or not.
2. As a challenge. Cold temperatures and lack of food sources being usually the main ones. You need a shelter with a fire to survive, and plenty of food saved up and processed in previous seasons.

In Haven, winter is not just ambience, but it's not a challenge either. The food system is not survival-based, and there's no temperature mechanics.

So while I enjoy the snow and the idea of seasons, I think the devs have to make a decision: either go back and remove seasonality and other season-related mechanics, or embrace move Haven toward a more survival-style kind of gameplay.
Kamekono

Postby D0fuz15 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:42 am

I think winter is good enough as it is in this point, the thing is... since this is a game you just dont want it to be "pretty", you have to get something out of it too, they should focus more on adding stuff that rewards the player in certain seasons, winter included, that way you have a purpose for seasons and also some profit for playing that season.
Maybe some fishes that only spawn at winter, or add some animals that only spawn in winter, maybe variants of them something useful.
Good idea!
D0fuz15

Postby Dawidio123 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:08 am

Okay, radical thought, remove winter completely in all world but add that larpy region in the north where the larpers can go and enjoy all the cool things it provides (uhm, ermine? ig)
Ingame: Shaki
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
Dawidio123

Postby Luno » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:39 pm

Skiis bad
Luno

Return to Critique & Ideas