Don't use shubla's client(Purus Pasta), it's spyware

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

Re: Don't use shubla's client(Purus Pasta), it's spyware

Postby Pills » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:23 pm

Artemiswhb wrote:Pretty sure this goes against the GDPR, which shubla, since you're in finland; you're breaking your own laws. you could get sued for this pretty easily since a lot of players are from europe and this is public software. So i'd suggest adding an opt-out.

100% breaks it, no opt-out, EULA or privacy policy in the client and online map.

You actually could get sued for this.
Pills

Postby shubla » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:27 pm

Artemiswhb wrote:Pretty sure this goes against the GDPR, which shubla, since you're in finland; you're breaking your own laws. you could get sued for this pretty easily since a lot of players are from europe and this is public software. So i'd suggest adding an opt-out.

Guess what.

Collecting HnH maptiles does not break GDPR.

Only thing breaking them is IP addresses which are logged in web server logs. Good luck suing any small to medium sized company let alone person over ip addresses.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Pills » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:32 pm

shubla wrote:

Guess what.

Collecting HnH maptiles does not break GDPR.

Only thing breaking them is IP addresses which are logged in web server logs. Good luck suing any small to medium sized company let alone person over ip addresses.

Actually anything that can be used to identify an individual which includes things like email-addresses, user names, UNIQUE character names etc break GDPR.
Pills

Postby Audiosmurf » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:33 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:last world had an epidemic of people me extorting nabs for hats

Lol you disingenuous retard
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby iamahh » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:34 pm

damn, these freedom(tm) shills about to expatriate Shubla to a murican senate audience, so a bunch of cocaine suits can protect the children from java abuse
iamahh

Postby BoxingRock » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:38 pm

loftar wrote:
BoxingRock wrote:are you really trying to compare intrusively and dishonestly collecting data over a client to being a troll ingame?

It certainly seems true that Snail has some sort of weird vendetta against shubla, and also that the OP is unnecessarily exaggerated. Not saying that makes the remaining parts less true, but it still makes you wonder.

That's a fair analysis, but as one of the devs and a programmer you must acknowledge the dishonest and intrusive nature of shubla's client.

There are so many other options available, I think the only fair thing to do would be to remove the Purus Pasta thread from the forums and disallow it to be advertised here. He seems to be the only custom client creator who blatantly steals other people's work and then asks for money for it, as well as the only one who blatantly uses these distasteful and unethical practices.

Obviously you cannot stop him from distributing the client off of this forum platform with any great ease, but if I remember correctly, other unethical practices in the past were met with developer action of some sort.

Atleast this way you are officially not condoning his behaviour, which I think is the right precedent to set here.
"Not to say that we're in any way perfect, but for the most part, what you call "lack of communication" is simply reflective of how we develop." - loftar
BoxingRock

Postby loftar » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:47 pm

BoxingRock wrote:That's a fair analysis, but as one of the devs and a programmer you must acknowledge the dishonest and intrusive nature of shubla's client.

That was discussed over here, and finally resolved in a way that is perhaps not the way I would've done it, but I believe satisfactory enough.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Mikeyboy » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:06 pm

As a person who doesn’t really use this client it still baffles me that you’d be collecting this data without at least giving a warning to users prior to logging on their accounts/characters. I understand you want people to provide you with data as a small “fee” for using your free open source client, but let’s be real you should at least as a Dev provide a small window warning anyone that this will happen, along with providing an opt-out option. I’m sure there’s plenty of people who will happily provide you with the data willingly rather than forcefully. Aside from that it’s just sketchy as fuck to log onto a client that would instantly take my character name, location, and the people around? What if you get an offer from a faction who just wanted to reek chaos and you end up selling them / providing them with this info for a small fee? That right there is a really fucked up thing that can happen and that HAS happened I’m sure in the past, and I’m sure that’s why a lot of the community might not like it.

Edit: And even though your client is open source, some people just don’t have the knowledge nor time to read the code and double check this shit. They sort of just trust you as a dev and the community to be open about the shit they collect or what their client does for the personal gain of said dev.
Last edited by Mikeyboy on Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikeyboy

Postby BoxingRock » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:08 pm

loftar wrote:
BoxingRock wrote:That's a fair analysis, but as one of the devs and a programmer you must acknowledge the dishonest and intrusive nature of shubla's client.

That was discussed over here, and finally resolved in a way that is perhaps not the way I would've done it, but I believe satisfactory enough.

I'm afraid that shubla's argumentative and confrontational demeanor towards you and the situation in general will leave myself and many other people convinced that he was treated with some form of favouritism if he remains allowed to distribute and advertise his client on this forum. It leaves the community in a vulnerable position and leaves a lot of great people like algeralith and astarisk feeling obligated to monitor his updates at all times, which is extremely unfair to say the least.

I hope that some further action will be taken.
"Not to say that we're in any way perfect, but for the most part, what you call "lack of communication" is simply reflective of how we develop." - loftar
BoxingRock

Postby shubla » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:10 pm

Mikeyboy wrote:A, and the people around?

Client does not log people around you. OP is pulling some stuff out of his ass. Take that as you will.

What if you get an offer from a faction who just wanted to reek chaos and you end up selling them / providing them with this info for a small fee?

Taking offers. ¦]
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

PreviousNext

Return to The Wizards' Tower