Don't use shubla's client(Purus Pasta), it's spyware

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

Re: Don't use shubla's client(Purus Pasta), it's spyware

Postby VDZ » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:14 am

To people claiming this violates GDPR: Disregarding the matter of whether this data is even GDPR-protected, Shubla is not a company. GDPR only applies to business ventures:
This Regulation does not apply to the processing of personal data by a natural person in the course of a purely personal or household activity and thus with no connection to a professional or commercial activity. Personal or household activities could include correspondence and the holding of addresses, or social networking and online activity undertaken within the context of such activities. However, this Regulation applies to controllers or processors which provide the means for processing personal data for such personal or household activities.

He's not selling the client, and getting advantages in an online game is not a professional activity.

Slapacookie wrote:Y'all be complaining on something that has an easy fix. Just use a different client, the maker doesnt have to put in an opt-out since there are other clients for you to use, he holds no monopoly.

Well, the big issue is that people didn't know there was anything they'd want to opt-out from by not using said client, so they didn't even get that chance to 'opt-out'.
VDZ

Postby WowGain » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:29 am

shubla didnt you like, post an entire thread where you abused mechanics to snekkja hunt sprucecaps by the dozens at the start of last world

why exactly should anyone trust you with this data
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby pawnchito » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:49 am

WowGain wrote:shubla didnt you like, post an entire thread where you abused mechanics to snekkja hunt sprucecaps by the dozens at the start of last world

why exactly should anyone trust you with this data

Didn't that result in a change in the game that protects the nabs? Didnt he even warn about the use of such mechanics before he went out of his way to murder randos? Sorta sounds like ya'll are slinging shit out of context regardless of this incident cuz you have a vendetta against him.
pawnchito

Postby Pills » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:09 am

VDZ wrote:He's not selling the client, and getting advantages in an online game is not a professional activity.

Actually mate...

"However, this Regulation applies to controllers or processors which provide the means for processing personal data for such personal or household activities."

Literally processing personal data, therefor it counts. If you can access the map from any country which requires GDPR without any restrictions then there must be a policy in place for people to agree to.
Pills

Postby tripp » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:23 am

so the boy who is only famous because he goes on a sprucecap murder spree is warning us about spyware?
how interesting
tripp

Postby Astarisk » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:31 am

tripp wrote:so the boy who is only famous because he goes on a sprucecap murder spree is warning us about spyware?
how interesting

Which one? I can't quite tell who you are referring to - each one has their own history of killing sprucecaps. I know one's made a compilation video of their killings.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby tripp » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:40 am

Astarisk wrote:
tripp wrote:so the boy who is only famous because he goes on a sprucecap murder spree is warning us about spyware?
how interesting

Which one? I can't quite tell who you are referring to - each one has their own history of killing sprucecaps. I know one's made a compilation video of their killings.

i mean theres no angels here....
tripp

Postby Procne » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:14 am

On one hand Shubla might be having best intentions in his mind - providing good map, client and food tool to the community. Maybe there are no malicious intentions here. Maybe.

However, some thing are still pretty shady, especially considering the haven community, and how far will some go to gain the advantage.
The things that made me decide to NOT use the client:
- as already stated, sending map tiles without consent. With a vague promise that they might be hidden / made private. However they would still be sent, and god knows what the server owner would do with them.
- the fact the client was made available the day new world launched. When many people were desperate for a working client, with little time for the community to go through client's code and check if there is any malware in it.
- custom mapping logic. Which is incompatible with the logic in amber or algeralith's uploader. Perhaps so that noone can easily modify the client to send the tiles to some other map server?
- the extra data sent to the server (markers, hats), that server doesn't need right now. There's another vague promise that they are not used in a bad way. But the data is stored there already and if Shubla changes his mind it can be used / sold.

I'm not following haven politics much, but even I know Shubla is quite controversial person, so I preferred to stay with default client and not risk it.

As for GDPR - for it to apply there must be some data which allow you to identify specific individual. IP address does not qualify, unless you can link it to some other data, like names, address, ssn etc.
So stop this GDPR discussion, it's silly.
Procne

Postby Zentetsuken » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:19 am

how interesting

I'm not sure how these 2 things are related in your mind in any way?

Does somebody's actions in a video game make their ability to help identify spyware less valid?
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
Zentetsuken

Postby Astarisk » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:04 am

tripp wrote:
Astarisk wrote:
how interesting

i mean theres no angels here....

It's a bit weird to point out only one sides demons whilst ignoring the others is it not?

Procne wrote:As for GDPR - for it to apply there must be some data which allow you to identify specific individual. IP address does not qualify, unless you can link it to some other data, like names, address, ssn etc.
So stop this GDPR discussion, it's silly.

I concur, the GDPR argument is silly as currently no one really understands the scope of it or what it really covers. Rulings need to start emerging before any sense can be made of it all. In this post there is plenty of other arguments that can be made rather than trying to throw the GDPR at someone.

Although speaking of identifiable information, Shubla's post towards me seems to strike some weirdness.
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=70172&start=60#p876429
Shubla wrote:Changes are not invasive in any way.
People like you are literally using my map, but then doing stuff like this. :shock:
Your client will not need support because there is no demand for it. come off your cloud castle and stop wasting your time on this piece of crap.
Though I am honored to have made yet again so awesome client that it took only 1 day to get some forks from it

I'm not sure what makes him think I would be using his map - or people like me in general unless he is looking at some identifiable information :roll: Its just an overall odd statement to me.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

PreviousNext

Return to The Wizards' Tower