Minimal UI res file

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

Minimal UI res file

Postby Undefined » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:45 pm

Hi all,

I've been tinkering with the res files and changing the UI to make it cleaner and more to my liking. There's still a whole bunch of things I want to do eventually but I figure it's in a nice enough condition to share with anyone else who dislikes the messiness of the default interface.
To use it simply download the builtin-res.jar file located here: http://protectorworld.com/files/hnh/builtin-res.jar
then overwrite the one in your client directory, it should work with all the current custom clients I don't think any of them modify the res files yet, I'm sure they will eventually but I haven't actually decided which I want to use myself yet, the battle of the custom clients is fun to watch. Once I have I'll get better co-ordinates for placements.

Currently I've modified the main UI and main ui buttons, minimized the pop up windows and replaced the teeny tiny close button with something chunkier, I've also replaced the giant vision blocking hourglass with a nice little spinner.

Here's an example of the interface as it stands: http://protectorworld.com/images/minimal-ui.jpg
Example is installed on top of Amber client, hence the weird floating map button arrangement.

Last edited by Undefined on Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Undefined

Re: Modifying res files

Postby ElGato » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:13 pm

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5853
Begin here. This tool is very old but still works for what you are needing. Download hafen-res and extract it into a folder, put tool in folder and run it. When you are done editing, use tool to remake it.

EDIT: www.havenandhearth.com/java/hafen-res.jar Here is hafen-res file you need.
burgingham wrote:We are all Gato, and Gato is Delamore of course. Goons blablabla...

Caradon wrote:Gato, the anti-ghandi

Sabinati wrote:yeah we're gonna kill you gato!!!
ElGato

Postby Undefined » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:45 pm

Thanks, as old as it is the tool still works well. I've been playing with it for a couple of hours, made a good start on cleaning the UI a little :)
All the little needless doodads were irritating me endlessly.

http://protectorworld.com/images/start-ui.jpg
Undefined

Postby borka » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:01 am

nice work - looks a bit cleaned up modern style ;)
borka

Postby Undefined » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:20 am

I'm going to do a few more tweaks over the next few days and will share the res files. The current stuff was all in the inbuilt res file.

The big thing I'd love to do is, and I'm sure I'm not alone in my burning desire, is to replace the default UI font, I've not got a clue how to achieve that yet though.
Undefined

Postby ElGato » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:34 am

Undefined wrote:I'm going to do a few more tweaks over the next few days and will share the res files. The current stuff was all in the inbuilt res file.

The big thing I'd love to do is, and I'm sure I'm not alone in my burning desire, is to replace the default UI font, I've not got a clue how to achieve that yet though.

I would assume that the font is in the code and not in any res files
burgingham wrote:We are all Gato, and Gato is Delamore of course. Goons blablabla...

Caradon wrote:Gato, the anti-ghandi

Sabinati wrote:yeah we're gonna kill you gato!!!
ElGato

Postby SovietUnion » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:45 am

ElGato wrote:
Undefined wrote:I'm going to do a few more tweaks over the next few days and will share the res files. The current stuff was all in the inbuilt res file.

I would assume that the font is in the code and not in any res files

I can confirm that the font is set in the client code. The name of buttons and labels is just a string in the source code, no specific image or res. I still haven't found where the font is specified.
Notable characters: Cpt. Danko, Kng. Danko

LS of MorningWood (as of W7)
North Star market owner (W11)
King of North Star Kingdom & Market (W12)
LS of MorningWood (W13), quit early cause reasons
Open village of North Star (W14)

"Not really. But meh.. who needs proper communication anyways"
SovietUnion

Postby Undefined » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:48 am

It's definitely stored in the inbuilt res file as a non image layer. I haven't really checked the source yet, I plan to eventually but I figure someone far better versed with Java will create a modded client way quicker than I could. :D
Undefined

Postby Usernm » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:52 am

But you can share your changed res?
Sorry for my english, I am from Russia and use soviet one. :)
Usernm

Postby Undefined » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:24 pm

Made a few more tweaks, it's going to be a while before I tackle overhauling the pop up windows etc due to work load and wanting to actually play some, but I'll get to them eventually.
If anyone wants to use it you can download it from here: http://protectorworld.com/files/hnh/builtin-res.jar
Just replace the file in whatever standalone client you're using. won't impact anything else other than replacing elements of the base interface.
Undefined

Next

Return to The Wizards' Tower