Mapper 1.9 - UI tool for working with map fragments

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

Re: Mapper 1.9 - UI tool for working with map fragments

Postby Grafbredbery » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:33 pm

Amazing! Thanks for such detailed feedback!

Granger wrote:When adding ~1.5GB of tile folders in one go: Task manager showed >4GB of memory usage for the java process, endless requesters about out-of-memory, had to kill it though task manager. Adding the data in chunks (I did about 30 folders per turn in 2nd try) worked.

Looks like the problem in big amount of tile images which not released from memory.
Earlier, i planned to develop the self-cleaning image cache, but unfortunately it's still in plans.

Granger wrote:Auto-Updating from the client (Ender) seemed to work nicely, only sometimes (seem when there were more than a handfull folders in the client map foder) it forgot that I already merged / deleted a layer and pulled it again. Maybe the list to lookup what folders from client have already been processed it so short?

Currently i plan many improvements for the background tracking of the custom client's maps.

Granger wrote:==> Deleting the source folder (in game client map folder) for a layer makes it unable to merge, but is is still shown and can otherwise be manipulated in the mapper (like move it around etc.).
- Maybe when building a layer always copy the source folder into the one built for the session in the mapper directory?

Currently Mapper already copy all tiles from source folder to the project folder. The case you described is a bug certainly, and i will fix it in next version.

Granger wrote:==> Handling of thunbnails for markers has some problems, when I added some additional ones I initially put them into marker_types - when adding the first one in the options window it deleted all images I put in there (only the default ones remained.

It looks like, given the nature of the image and marker loss I experienced, the logic deciding to write default config/resource files has a defect.

There is no need to copy marker images in the marker_types folder. Mapper will do it yourself when you add new marker types via user interface. Folders "project" and "marker_types" are managed by Mapper, the app will remove all inconsistent file from them.

Granger wrote:==> Automatic backups (some dozend generations) before writing the markers.xml seems to be a good idea, and needed!
- Delete button in marker window looks to much like close button from windows (I clicked it more than once by accident), maybe another icon (trashcan) would be better?
- Display the comment field from the markers in the list please
- A way to close the marker window from keyboard would be nice
- Please a way to sort the marker types in the drop-down list, it follows no logic (is neither sorted by name, nor the order in the markers.xml file).
- Hotkey that displays the qualities next to the markers on the map would be appreciated, so one can easier grasp the situation when triangulating quality nodes
- Option to hide filtered markers on map when filtering the marker list
- Highlighting/scrolling to the active (clicked in map window) marker in the marker list would be cool
- Flashing a marker in world when hovered over by the mouse in the list, so one dosn't have to double-click it (which moves the viewpoint) to find it would be really helpful
- Ability to delete markers from the list would be a timesaver (not having to locate them on the map)
- Level 5 layer please
- Sort the layer list by name please (currently i have Base, Cave 1,3,2,4)
- When exporting (packing .zip) the option to pack (and unpack) more than one layer
- Ability to add markers (so another instance can import them even with different 0,0 of map) to the export would be great
- Ability to select an area for export and other operations like unmerge tiles (convert back into a session layer) comes into mind to deal with something that is where it dosn't belong - or you want to work on different unrelated map sections (when traveling roads for example so you just have the two ends but not the tiles in the middle)
- When adding multiple new layers (recursive directory): option to make the added layers transparent by default, or show just one of them on the map and show the next after the one shown is either merged, or moved by hand (now they are in the way and you don't see what you're doing since they stack all on the same spot)

Ok, will work harder :)
At this moment i plan big update for Mapper, stay tuned :)
And again, thanks for the feedback, it's a good motivation for further development.
Grafbredbery

Postby Granger » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:05 pm

Grafbredbery wrote:Amazing! Thanks for such detailed feedback!

Thanks for the tool!

Granger wrote:==> Handling of thunbnails for markers has some problems, when I added some additional ones I initially put them into marker_types - when adding the first one in the options window it deleted all images I put in there (only the default ones remained.

It looks like, given the nature of the image and marker loss I experienced, the logic deciding to write default config/resource files has a defect.

There is no need to copy marker images in the marker_types folder. Mapper will do it yourself when you add new marker types via user interface. Folders "project" and "marker_types" are managed by Mapper, the app will remove all inconsistent file from them.

I would understand that it populates the folder once in case it dosn't exist, but afterwards 'managed by Mapper' sounds like a road to desaster should anything happen to the variable holding the path...

Ok, will work harder :)

:)
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Granger » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:10 pm

Bug: v1.9 silently drops markers set by me, looks like it lost a complete session (in terms of program being open) by not updating the file at the end.

Suggestion: move marker data from XML file (with the problems of overwrite and corruption) to a sqlite database, so you can persist new markers instantly to disk.

[update]
Bug: adding a folder to the mapper can silently delete that folder (remove if less than x tiles option) - this is bad, since when entering a cave you add that cave folder it'll be wiped immediately and all further tiles the client wants to save into that folder are lost.

I also wonder what would happen in case you add c:\windows - please rethink this.
Granger

Postby Granger » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:07 pm

FYI: Mapper 1.9 again silently dropped a session of markers (the corresponding maps got saved).
Please fix this issue, as-is now one can't rely on it when exploring.
Granger

Postby lcy03406a » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:57 am

"Automatic update layers" does not work well with "Auto matching on adding layers". The auto-added sessions didn't go to the right place.
lcy03406a

Previous

Return to The Wizards' Tower