How hard is it to code this?

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

Re: How hard is it to code this?

Postby Granger » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:46 pm

Astarisk wrote:Java, C#, Python, and Javascript are the big ones if you plan to make a career of it. All depends on what type of programming you are expecting to do once you make a career out of it. Depending on what you want to do I can recommend a few of my favorite reads.

The language itself isn't the real issue (as it mainly is semantics) as the problem is in the need to understand the concepts and how to apply them.
A good programmer can pick up nearly any new language (sans brainfuck and similar monstrosities) in a short timespan, so it effectively dosn't matter with what you start.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Astarisk » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:55 pm

Granger wrote:
Astarisk wrote:Java, C#, Python, and Javascript are the big ones if you plan to make a career of it. All depends on what type of programming you are expecting to do once you make a career out of it. Depending on what you want to do I can recommend a few of my favorite reads.

The language itself isn't the real issue (as it mainly is semantics) as the problem is in the need to understand the concepts and how to apply them.
A good programmer can pick up nearly any new language (sans brainfuck and similar monstrosities) in a short timespan, so it effectively dosn't matter with what you start.

That all may be true, but its also hard to beat someone who says they've been programming in these languages for years, oppose to someone who says they are willing to learn it. Breaking into the field for a career can be tough.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby shubla » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:17 pm

Granger wrote:A good programmer can pick up nearly any new language (sans brainfuck and similar monstrosities) in a short timespan, so it effectively dosn't matter with what you start.

It depends what kind of programmer(job). Even a good programmer wont suddenly become excellent with some new language, some languages have big differences (like assembly and java). If the job requires absolute advanced expertise of c++ as it is used for all projects and stuff in that company, and you have only coded in java and python, its not really a job that you can take.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Granger » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:30 am

While you're right about this, the opposite is also true.

Nevertheless: the topic is about starting to learn. So we're a good step away from absolute advanced expertise, I think it's safe to say that we're on the opposite side of the journey... Thus it might be a good idea to hold off with the pointer arithmetic and unsafe direct memory access (not to speak about stuff like having to implement memory management or meta templates) for the beginning until the basics are there, else the experience will be quite unfun.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby APXEOLOG » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:01 am

I'd say that Javascript is the way to start (because it is everywhere), while it is not the best choice of 'typical' language (i would not recommend studying OOP based on prototypes)
W10 Meme Plot | W9 Mantis Garden | W8 Core | W7 Ofir | W6 the City of Dis | W5 Vitterstad | W4 A.D. | W3 Mirniy
jorb wrote:All your characters will be deleted, and I will level every village any one of them were ever members of.
APXEOLOG

Postby Undefined » Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:45 pm

APXEOLOG wrote:I'd say that Javascript is the way to start (because it is everywhere), while it is not the best choice of 'typical' language (i would not recommend studying OOP based on prototypes)

This.
Ignore people shitting on JS and evangelizing like they actually know what they're talking about, it's a good starting point for you to learn the more important aspects of core CS and a powerful tool you can make immediate and demonstrable use of.
Undefined

Postby 524u » Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:20 pm

APXEOLOG wrote:I'd say that Javascript is the way to start (because it is everywhere), while it is not the best choice of 'typical' language (i would not recommend studying OOP based on prototypes)

After JavaScript, you can always learn TypeScript.
There are more jobs which require TypeScript, rather than plain JavaScript
B)
524u

Previous

Return to The Wizards' Tower