Default Client, "making do" for ex-custom-client-users

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

Default Client, "making do" for ex-custom-client-users

Postby Ciego » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:04 pm

- What I do to make it work

If sound is "choppy/hesitant": I used the ":audiobuf" console command, I set to 4096
(Larger number for older sound cards, smaller number for newer cards. But a "larger number" may "crash" the game, or slow it's performance.)
(Also note that a certain occasional "stutter" may be from the game internals, unrelated to audio buffer size)
( http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Console_Commands )

To defeat the default of only being able to spin the viewpoint to 4 directions:
:cam ortho -f

To display inventory-items quality:
Adventure, Toggle, Quality (" ATQ ")
(For CONSOLE and MENU "commands", point away from chat, then type the "command")

If you need to re-display the items (Character health-display) along the top of the screen:
alt+u (twice)

To display currently held (in hands) item:
Ctl-E, or "Equipment" button at the top of the menu-box.
Then rt-click the TOOLBELT for a display of it's contents.
(I leave these open most of the time, moved to the top of my screen)

To display inventory: Tab or "Inventory" button at the top of the menu-box.

To take items from a stack: Rt-click the stack, hover mouse pointer over the box showing stack's "number of items", and "roll away from me" the mouse scroll wheel. (Also, lclk on the stack's box puts 1 item into your hand.)
By rolling the mouse wheel back and forth (mouse pointer hovering over stack's box), I can control the number of items that move between the stack and my inventory.

To take ALL the items from a stack, cabinet, crate, drying frame, tanning tub, smelter, etc:
shft+alt+rclk on stack or container.
However, shft+alt+rclk and shft+alt+lclk now seem to function as they did historically, xferring specific items to/from cabinet.

To create a stack:
lclk on a stackable item, rt-click (on PAVEMENT if it is a plantable veggie), then shift+alt+lclk drops all items applicable to that type of stack.

To drop ALL of the rclk'd item from inventory onto the ground/water:
ctl+alt+rclk on an item in inventory

Each seed-pile in inventory seems to need put into a barrel individually, neither shft+alt, nor shft-ctl seems to work. (Using ENDER client)
Same for putting coal into a furnace, such as ore smelter, holding shift keeps a coal in your hand, but these must be added individually.

loftar wrote:
Kirche wrote:this doesn't seem to actually work?

You need a properly updated client, as old clients would interpret any Ctrl-click combination as clicking through to the map without the Ctrl, so on such a client that would be the same as simply shift-clicking the object in questions. The latest client only clicks through a held item if only Ctrl is held, so that Ctrl+Shift properly counts as clicking with the held item and with Ctrl.

I arrange to have my inventory 8 items wide. So, 1-1/2 rows of coal (12) per smelter. I used mouse-wheel to pull the correct number of rows of coal, and went from smelter to smelter, dispensing 1-1/2 rows of coal by shft+lclk 12 times. A little clumsy, a little tedious.

Feeding hay, other stackable items to a food trough, ore smelter, or compost bin, make a stack on the ground, then use a wheelbarrow to pick up the stack, then feed the container. Same thing to put ore into smelters, using wheelbarrow.

To move with a BUCKET that is in my hand, but not in a "hand-slot", ctl+lclk on destination. (May take repeated pressing of ctl key before the lclk will cause your character to move to the indicated destination)
(For the first 6 months I played H&H, I did not realize that a bucket, with or without contents, can go into one of the two hand-slots)
A bucket and it's contents can be placed into a cabinet or crate.

- Things I want to do, or that don't seem to work

Settings, such as display of inventory-item Quality, display of equipment, belt seem not to be persistent, after log out, and back in.

No ability to SORT BY QUALITY, or to move ALL OF ONE TYPE ITEM to/from a stack or container (from the middle of other items in inventory), it's TEDIOUS!

A shft+b should display the hitboxes of things on the ground. This is important to placement of items & buildings.

How do I determine the season, and what day (or how much is left) of the season? What my coordinates are? (And why isn't there someplace in the forum that gives the current info?) (Maybe open a page in the FORUM, maybe called "Almanac", that is constantly updated, showing time of day, and what day, in what season, it is currently)

How do I tell at a glance if an entire crop field is ready to harvest, and/or what stage it is? (Also, the "COLORED DOTS" used by Amber, allowed precise designation of which plants I wished to harvest.)
By seeing the "growth-stage number", you could detect "patterns", showing what part of your field would grow a crop more quickly. A crop that is marginally "ready to go to the next Q-level" could be planted in small quantities into the "good ground", and re-planted there until the "Q-level" was stable enough to plant the entire field.

"Hourglass Progress indicators" are not very helpful when repairing a Palisade wall-segment, and some other activities.

Ability to toggle a "farmer-view" of trees (Displays a miniature "tree-graphic"), for purposes of planting/harvesting.

Can't Set up a hotkey to quickly display the contents of the belt ("Equipment" button at the top of the menu-box, then rclk the belt that is equipped). Can't set keybindings for menu/button items that require "RCLK". (?)

Can't display the radius of food troughs, and bee skeps? (Other than the workaround of temporarily starting to build one.)

(2/26/2021 - abandoning the "default client", going to the ENDER CLIENT)
Last edited by Ciego on Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:38 am, edited 49 times in total.
Ciego

Re: Default Client, "making do" for ex-custom-client-users

Postby iamahh » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:06 pm

- moving while holding something is Ctrl key (sometimes Alt+Ctrl allows interacting while holding)

- shift+rclick grabs all stockpile

- tile mining time is random, can't predict

- crops you get used to it, right click around, use grids(Ctrl+G), eventually you'll know it takes 1 or 2 days for some stuff, some flowers indicates its not ready yet

- hourglass also gets predictable with time, you'll know which one is the 25% and then account for your lag

you can also put belt in a hotkey to avoid some clicks
iamahh

Postby Ciego » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:28 pm

iamahh wrote:- you can also put belt in a hotkey to avoid some clicks

Thank you for the response/ideas.

I don't think we can key-bind for menu items that require a rclk.
Last edited by Ciego on Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:17 am, edited 5 times in total.
Ciego

Postby iamahh » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:20 pm

at least on default client Ctrl + Lclick moves while holding an item

maybe there's a lag or some weird bug that may require you to click more, but I'm not sure
iamahh

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:06 pm

Ciego wrote:Each seed-pile in inventory seems to need put into a barrel individually, the alt+ctl seems not to work. Also, putting coal into a furnace, such as ore smelter, holding shit keeps a coal in your hand, but these must be added individually, alt+ctl not working. (However, the ORE can be moved between inventory and ore-smelter using mouse-wheel.) It is TEDIOUS to COUNT the pieces of coal, rather than being able to tell the stack I wish to have precisely 12 pieces, then holding 1 piece, alt+ctl+lclick a smelter to have all 12 pieces loaded into the smelter.

Since you mentioned using workarounds... Best I can suggest here is to make a stockpile of stones near your smelters with x number of stone. X being inventory capacity - 12 (or 9 with credo). When you need to refuel, pick up the stone, then fill the rest with coal. You then always have the correct number of coal in your pack. Keep a coal stockpile at each smelter so you don't have to wander too far to refill your pockets after each stop. Takes little extra effort to set up and maintain. It also doesn't eliminate the multiple clicking on a smelter to fill it. I believe a request has been made to fix that, but it might have been lost in the shuffle.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby BigCountry » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:07 pm

Without the custom clients this game is RIP. Which should tell the devs - you need a better client :D
BigCountry

Postby nutarum » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:10 pm

Oh, i have learned a few things from this post, thanks!
nutarum

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:13 pm

BigCountry wrote:Without the custom clients this game is RIP. Which should tell the devs - you need a better client :D

Ender is still available, which is about where we were for over two full worlds. I believe a few of the private clients still work, and quite possibly have updated to the new render branch. Amber just became the popular one because of some of the added bells and whistles.

Ciego made this thread for people who don't want to or can't run Ender and still want to play. I think your complaint is legitimate, so I don't want to Hel it, but please don't shit on a thread that is useful for some. Please make specific requests or general complaints over in C&I. Thanks.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Ciego » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:14 am

iamahh wrote:at least on default client Ctrl + Lclick moves while holding an item

maybe there's a lag or some weird bug that may require you to click more, but I'm not sure

Thanks iamahh !!! I reset all my keybindings, and ctl+lclk moved me while holding an item! But works intermittently, not reliable.

Ender Client: This forum thread not meant to disparage any of the clients. I DO need to explore Ender. But I was under the impression it had not yet upgraded to the new graphics, and I was sort of answering Jorb's request for analysis of the default client, with suggestions. Much appreciate the input/comments - all.
Ciego

Postby BigCountry » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:51 pm

How do I toggle walk/run? I have only played this game with Amber. With Amber it was simply shift+q w e r

Running Ender client now.

Ctrl + R, Shift + Ctrl + R Change walk/run speed. Cycles from 1 to 4, from 4 to 1

Is not working.

Shift + Ctrl + R puts me in limp mode. And I cannot get out of it.

Thanks!
Last edited by BigCountry on Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
BigCountry

Next

Return to The Wizards' Tower