default client crash when opening a specific chest

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

default client crash when opening a specific chest

Postby tztfzf5tt » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:07 pm

its repeatable, other chests work fine. sadly i cant remember whats inside the chest, operating systemis linux mint 20.1, java is openjdk version "11.0.10"

java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: Blit operation out of bounds: (34, 34)+(-6, -6) on (28, 28)
at haven.PUtils.blit(PUtils.java:146)
at haven.res.gfx.invobjs.gems.gemstone.Gemstone.construct(gemstone.cjava:85)
at haven.res.gfx.invobjs.gems.gemstone.Gemstone.<init>(gemstone.cjava:24)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:62)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:490)
at haven.Utils.construct(Utils.java:1498)
at haven.GSprite$FactMaker$1.create(GSprite.java:63)
at haven.GSprite.create(GSprite.java:88)
at haven.GItem.spr(GItem.java:142)
at haven.WItem.draw(WItem.java:174)
at haven.Widget.draw(Widget.java:746)
at haven.Widget.draw(Widget.java:751)
at haven.Inventory.draw(Inventory.java:72)
at haven.Window.draw(Window.java:188)
at haven.GameUI.draw(GameUI.java:873)
at haven.RootWidget.draw(RootWidget.java:68)
at haven.UI.draw(UI.java:221)
at haven.JOGLPanel.display(JOGLPanel.java:459)
at haven.JOGLPanel.run(JOGLPanel.java:539)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834)
tztfzf5tt

Re: default client crash when opening a specific chest

Postby vatas » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:38 pm

My knowledge about crash reports is limited at best, but circumstances you described lead me to believe the chest contains an item that makes the client crash for some reason.

Again, my knowledge is limited but I'm pretty sure this has to do with .res file associated with the item missing or being corrupt. Since you're playing with default client, latter must be the case. (Or there's some serious server-wide bug with that item, which seems unlikely.)

You can try exporting your map to create a backup .hmap file of it (that can be later imported back), then delete your cache folder. (On my machine using Windows, C:\Users\vatas\.haven and in Linux it should be simply be .haven in Home directory.)

This has the effect of requiring the client to download every .res file again when encountering related items/objects, hopefully including a correct one for the item in the chest. Downsides should only include items being rendered temporarily with placeholder "?" -icon when seeing them first time after deleting cache. I don't remember how objects in the game world are handled in this case, but since everybody with fresh client has to go through it anyway, it shouldn't be too serious.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby tztfzf5tt » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:55 pm

good guess, thank you, i just deleted all haven files i found and now its working again
tztfzf5tt

Postby Phaen » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:49 pm

I'm dying to know... what was in the chest?
Phaen

Postby Meanz » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:49 am

Phaen wrote:I'm dying to know... what was in the chest?

The crash report says "at haven.res.gfx.invobjs.gems.gemstone.Gemstone.construct(gemstone.cjava:85)"
So I'm assuming it's a gem of some sort.

If you dissect the crash report further, you can also see that it references code via reflection.
And since we know that resources can also contain code which is loaded "lazily" we can assume that the code that failed lies in a resource file.
Meanz

Postby tztfzf5tt » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:26 pm

indeed there where a few gems inside :-)
tztfzf5tt

Return to The Wizards' Tower