No client works

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

No client works

Postby netro8 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:30 pm

Hey guys.

So I have tried to get H&H to work like it did a few years ago, but I cannot get it to actually start.
Once I downloaded the file and opened it, it just opened the same file for download again, and again.

So I forced windows to open it in java, but that does nothing. It runs it for less than a second, and then exits it.

Anyone got any idea what I need to do to get this to work? I want to play again!

Thanks!
netro8

Re: No client works

Postby vatas » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:57 pm

Which version of Java are you using? Most people use java 8, but 11 and 15 seem to work too, 15 might stutter less due to superior Garbage Collection (reallocating RAM that's no longer used.)

(Edit: the Garbage Collection I was talking about needs to be enabled with custom JVM argument "-XX:+UseZGC" otherwise same GBC as in Java 11 is used.)
Last edited by vatas on Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby loftar » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:02 pm

netro8 wrote:Once I downloaded the file and opened it, it just opened the same file for download again, and again.

What does that even mean? Also what is the file, more precisely?
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby netro8 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:41 pm

[/quote]What does that even mean? Also what is the file, more precisely?[/quote]

It means exactly that.
I download the file, and open it. That starts up the download of the exact same file.

The file you download to actually start the game. Then one you get when you press the play button up top on the page
Last edited by netro8 on Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
netro8

Postby netro8 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:42 pm

vatas wrote:Which version of Java are you using? Most people use java 8, but 11 and 15 seem to work too, 15 might stutter less due to superior Garbage Collection (reallocating RAM that's no longer used.)

(Edit: the Garbage Collection I was talking about needs to be enabled with custom JVM argument "-XX:+UseZGC" otherwise same GBC as in Java 11 is used.)

Version 8, update 281
netro8

Postby loftar » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:56 pm

netro8 wrote:It means exactly that.
I download the file, and open it. That starts up the download of the exact same file.

Well, I mean, normally when you download a file, that happens in the web browser. Are you saying that running the downloaded file opens up the web browser to download it again?

netro8 wrote:The file you download to actually start the game. Then one you get when you press the play button up top on the page

So "autohaven.jar", just to be sure?
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby netro8 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:25 am

loftar wrote:
netro8 wrote:It means exactly that.

Well, I mean, normally when you download a file, that happens in the web browser. Are you saying that running the downloaded file opens up the web browser to download it again?

netro8 wrote:The file you download to actually start the game. Then one you get when you press the play button up top on the page

So "autohaven.jar", just to be sure?

Yes, when I open the downloaded file, it opens mozilla and downloads it again, and again
netro8

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:21 am

netro8 wrote:Once I downloaded the file and opened it, it just opened the same file for download again, and again.

This part sounds like an improper configuration in the browser, Java installed incorrectly, or an otherwise improper file association in Windows.

So I forced windows to open it in java, but that does nothing. It runs it for less than a second, and then exits it.

Have a crash log from when you did force it to run in Java? If one got saved to your hard drive, it should be called 'hs_err_pid.log". Typically it is in the same folder you installed Java to, but may end up other locations on your hard drive if it has been reconfigured. Still may not rule out other issues.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby netro8 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:15 am

There is no crash log that I can find anywhere.
I'm also not that tech savvy when it comes to windows 10, so I really dont have much of a clue what I can do to fix this.
netro8

Postby vatas » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:38 am

The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Next

Return to The Wizards' Tower