No client works

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

Re: No client works

Postby netro8 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:45 am

vatas wrote:Image

I did that already, opens the window and closes it again within a second
netro8

Postby loftar » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:31 pm

netro8 wrote:I did that already, opens the window and closes it again within a second

That is weird. If it neither displays an error properly nor leaves an hs_err_pid report behind as MagicManICT suggested, I'm not sure what is going on. Is there any possibility that you could try running it in a command-line window to see if it prints anything useful?
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby netro8 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:45 pm

loftar wrote:
netro8 wrote:I did that already, opens the window and closes it again within a second

That is weird. If it neither displays an error properly nor leaves an hs_err_pid report behind as MagicManICT suggested, I'm not sure what is going on. Is there any possibility that you could try running it in a command-line window to see if it prints anything useful?

If you could guide me, I could probably manage to do that, but like I said, I'm not really that much of a wizard when it comes to computers!
netro8

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:34 pm

netro8 wrote:If you could guide me, I could probably manage to do that, but like I said, I'm not really that much of a wizard when it comes to computers!

• Save (or move) autohaven.jar to your desktop for convenience
  • Open a command line interface in windows. Open the "Run..." dialog with right-click>Start>Run or Winkey+r. Type cmd.exe into the Run dialog and hit enter.
  • to note: you can copy/paste any text from other locations into the command window. If it's a valid command, just hit enter and it will process. Also, don't copy/paste any of the quotes with the commands to enter.
  • By default, you should open a command line with the home directory of your user/account location. enter into the command line "cd desktop." (If you didn't move autohaven.jar to your desktop, you'll need to find where it saved and change drives or change directories to there.) Hit enter
  • You can launch Haven by entering the following: "java.exe -jar autohaven.jar". Assuming Java installed properly and set up proper environment variables so it can be run from any directory (this is default behavior anymore, but doesn't always get set up properly for various reasons),
[/list]
Now, if the launcher exits for any reason, text should be dumped into the command console you have open. You can copy and paste it to the forum. (note, you need to select the text with the mouse, and then right-click>copy. ctrl+c to copy doesn't work in a console window as it has another use.)

If you get an error like "java.exe could not be found," you'll need to provide Windows directions on where to launch Java from. Open File Explorer, find where you installed java at. The executable will be in a folder called "jre<ver_num>/bin". You can click the address bar, copy to the clipboard, paste it into the command window, then type "/java.exe -jar autohaven.jar." You should get something that looks like "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_281\bin\java.exe -jar autohaven.jar". I'm a bit rusty on Windows tech support myself, so if it doesn't work, I apologize beforehand. I think I'm forgetting something here, but maybe not.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby netro8 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:57 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
netro8 wrote:If you could guide me, I could probably manage to do that, but like I said, I'm not really that much of a wizard when it comes to computers!

• Save (or move) autohaven.jar to your desktop for convenience
  • Open a command line interface in windows. Open the "Run..." dialog with right-click>Start>Run or Winkey+r. Type cmd.exe into the Run dialog and hit enter.
  • to note: you can copy/paste any text from other locations into the command window. If it's a valid command, just hit enter and it will process. Also, don't copy/paste any of the quotes with the commands to enter.
  • By default, you should open a command line with the home directory of your user/account location. enter into the command line "cd desktop." (If you didn't move autohaven.jar to your desktop, you'll need to find where it saved and change drives or change directories to there.) Hit enter
  • You can launch Haven by entering the following: "java.exe -jar autohaven.jar". Assuming Java installed properly and set up proper environment variables so it can be run from any directory (this is default behavior anymore, but doesn't always get set up properly for various reasons),
[/list]
Now, if the launcher exits for any reason, text should be dumped into the command console you have open. You can copy and paste it to the forum. (note, you need to select the text with the mouse, and then right-click>copy. ctrl+c to copy doesn't work in a console window as it has another use.)

If you get an error like "java.exe could not be found," you'll need to provide Windows directions on where to launch Java from. Open File Explorer, find where you installed java at. The executable will be in a folder called "jre<ver_num>/bin". You can click the address bar, copy to the clipboard, paste it into the command window, then type "/java.exe -jar autohaven.jar." You should get something that looks like "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_281\bin\java.exe -jar autohaven.jar". I'm a bit rusty on Windows tech support myself, so if it doesn't work, I apologize beforehand. I think I'm forgetting something here, but maybe not.

I can play with the default client this way it seems. I got the login screen open at least. Will try more later. Busy watching some TV with the wife. Will post more later
netro8

Postby Ciego » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:26 pm

cool.
Last edited by Ciego on Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ciego

Postby netro8 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:06 pm

Ciego wrote:There is nothing so complicated that another voice giving just the opposite advice can't make it more complicated.

So let me try.

This is havenandhearth dot com.

Go up to the top and hit "Home".

There's a yellow and red "Play" button, click that.

You should be in the default client.

The ENDER and ARD-UNSTABLE are two of my personal favorite clients.

Make a "games" folder on your desktop (or if you're complicated, make it somewhere more complicated).

Make a folder within that, one for Ender, one for Ard.

Go to the Wizard's Tower forum of this website and find the thread about Ender, click the link in the first post, and the file that is downloaded to your download folder, drag it to the "Ender" folder, then click it.

You should be in the Ender Client.

Click here: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=69566
then click on the first link, and the zip file it downloads, extract-all into your ARD folder, then go click the run dot bat file, and you should be in a very usable ARD client.

Uhm, doing what you described first is what I have been trying to. Did not work. What MagicManICT wrote helped me enough to at least run the default client!

MagicManICT, Thanks alot btw!
netro8

Postby loftar » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:32 am

netro8 wrote:I can play with the default client this way it seems. I got the login screen open at least. Will try more later. Busy watching some TV with the wife. Will post more later

That probably means you have some weird misconfiguration in file-type associations. No idea why that would be the case, but reinstalling Java could conceivably help if you don't want to go on launching the game from the command-line.

Many thanks to MagicManICT for providing helpful instructions, also!
loftar

Postby netro8 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:41 am

loftar wrote:
netro8 wrote:I can play with the default client this way it seems. I got the login screen open at least. Will try more later. Busy watching some TV with the wife. Will post more later

That probably means you have some weird misconfiguration in file-type associations. No idea why that would be the case, but reinstalling Java could conceivably help if you don't want to go on launching the game from the command-line.

Many thanks to MagicManICT for providing helpful instructions, also!

Could it be that I have installed java twice on top of eachother?

If I have to keep launching the game from the command window, I will, because I want to play the new world =)
netro8

Postby loftar » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:46 am

netro8 wrote:Could it be that I have installed java twice on top of eachother?

Normally, Java is well equipped to handle multiple versions being installed simultaneously. If I were you, I'd try uninstalling all the Java version I've got installed and try reinstalling it from scratch.
loftar

PreviousNext

Return to The Wizards' Tower