Don't use shubla's client(Purus Pasta), it's spyware

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

Re: Purus client - spyware, avoid it, evidence here

Postby SnuggleSnail » Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:58 am

You don't need to contribute anecdotal evidence that Shubla's client is spy-ware. A dozen different trustworthy devs in the community have read his code and confirmed it. He tried to hide it, but it's unarguably and plain to see.

I would never trust Shubla (anybody) with that kind of thing, but even if you do (why???) it sets a horrible precedent that you can put a bunch of trackers in your public client, lie about/not disclose them, abuse your live map of the exact locations of most players or whatever other feature that completely ruins the integrity of the game, and nothing bad will happen even if by your incompetence it somehow gets found. Like, the devs will continue letting you publicly distribute your client on their platform knowing full well it's malicious spy-ware. It baffles me to my core.

It's only a matter of time before something catastrophic happens if it hasn't been ongoing already. I feel like most people won't grasp how dumb this actually is. If you have a friend in software dev and you tell them about this shit they probably will assume you're lying/misinformed because it's stupid to the point of being more over the top than parody. Genuinely retarded.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby MadNomad » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:36 am

remember that he will know what hat you are wearing, this is VERY SENTISITIVE information :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MadNomad

Postby Nightdawg » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:45 am

MadNomad wrote:remember that he will know what hat you are wearing, this is VERY SENTISITIVE information :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Knowing every player's base location, their current location when they are outside of their base, their name, the hat they're wearing (*as an instant identifier once you gank them*), is pretty sensitive. :roll:

But I guess some of you never leave your bases for more than 7 minutes to gather blueberries and hunt 2 bats lmao
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby MadNomad » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:47 am

Nightdawg wrote:Knowing every player's hat they're wearing is pretty sensitive. :roll:

Didn't I just say the same? :) ;)

Nightdawg wrote:But I guess some of you never leave your bases for more than 7 minutes to gather blueberries and hunt 2 bats lmao

how did you know :?: that's exactly how I play the game :!: :o
MadNomad

Postby DonVelD » Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:19 pm

MadNomad wrote:
Nightdawg wrote:Knowing every player's hat they're wearing is pretty sensitive. :roll:

Didn't I just say the same? :) ;)

Nightdawg wrote:But I guess some of you never leave your bases for more than 7 minutes to gather blueberries and hunt 2 bats lmao

how did you know :?: that's exactly how I play the game :!: :o

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby WowGain » Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:29 am

MadNomad wrote:remember that he will know what hat you are wearing, this is VERY SENTISITIVE information :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Re: Don't use shubla's client(Purus Pasta), it's spyware

Postby SnuggleSnail » Fri May 06, 2022 6:42 am

Hey I just noticed this and what the fuck? I don't have any past personal grievances with Shubla. I've spoken to him exactly 1 time outside of the forum(no PMs) and it was just 2 minutes of siege banter. It's crazy to me one of you would write that considering there couldn't possibly be a reason to think that other than Shubla telling you so?

Also, the hell do you mean disputed? Its been verified by like 20 different impartial 3rd parties. In this thread. The code is right there. You can read it.

It's still so insane to me that this client is still allowed in the wizard's tower, and Shubla hasn't been IP banned. A stark reminder of complete developer apathy.

SnuggleSnail wrote:ye, lots of other clients have an opt in to send map tiles for such a service. None of the other public clients send NEARLY as much data as Shubla's forces you to send.

Also, just for posterity I wanna point out I was wrong here about how Alg collected his data. AFAIK this was never built into any public clients, and you needed to manually run a separate program to collect data for projects like odditown's map
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
SnuggleSnail

Postby darma » Fri May 06, 2022 11:07 am

Good information in this thread but is there any other client with scripting available?
If not then it sounds to me like a lot of people that probably have access to other clients with scripting (maybe I remember wrong but I read somewhere that every major faction has its client with scripting) are trying to convince the rest of us to not use the only scriptable client available to us :)
darma

Postby Audiosmurf » Fri May 06, 2022 12:15 pm

It's such a joke to see you of all people railing to get someone banned. :roll:
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby SnuggleSnail » Fri May 06, 2022 1:34 pm

Audiosmurf wrote:It's such a joke to see you of all people railing to get someone banned. :roll:

I can understand why you wouldn't see me in the most positive light, I want to play the game like an asshole for fun - but nothing I've ever done has been remotely to to the damaging to game's integrity as somebody having a live map of >50% of the player-base is. Even if he was upfront about it I would say it's one of the worst things somebody could rly do.

But he wasn't upfront about it. There was no reasonable way an average user would even know it was happening until a third party called it out, to which Shubla's response (obviously by the mod edit) was to quietly ask mods to remove/discredit the call-out.

I don't rly agree with you on most things, but I don't rly think of you as a retard or a blatant troll. If you can unironically sit there and say Shubla putting this level of spy-ware in his client isn't INSANELY BAD, like arguably worst thing a haven player has done within the context of the game IDK how I can ever take you seriously again.

darma wrote:Good information in this thread but is there any other client with scripting available?
If not then it sounds to me like a lot of people that probably have access to other clients with scripting (maybe I remember wrong but I read somewhere that every major faction has its client with scripting) are trying to convince the rest of us to not use the only scriptable client available to us :)

One of the programmers from this thread who took the effort to reconfirm OP released a version of Shubla's that is spyware free, or approx. There is also a version of Ardennes client that is technically publicly available, but I'm not sure exactly where to get it - I would guess asking on the haven discord would yield results

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=70172
SnuggleSnail

PreviousNext

Return to The Wizards' Tower