Don't use shubla's client(Purus Pasta), it's spyware

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

Re: Don't use shubla's client(Purus Pasta), it's spyware

Postby azrid » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:58 am

Snail is afraid someone is coming for his world main villain spot.
If the world is to have a villain I would rather have one that gives us a good working client and an actual explored world map(the other one is just borders of continents right now).
Your group could probably give the people all that as well.
All you gave the community last world was extortion.

If this thread was genuine it would come off better if you didn't have people from your group post the first replies.
Just a little tip.
azrid

Postby Astarisk » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:03 am

shubla wrote:
Characters positions are indeed sent to the map server, along with name and hat, they're used for player icons. They are not saved for more than a few seconds, nor used by anyone else than users of the map with the specific token itself.
They can be accessed by the randomly generated token in the client, when private map generation is enabled.

So you force-opt in your users to send potentially sensitive data related to where they are at in the world. This data includes their position, character name, marker data and even their hat res. Quite frankly this is entirely disingenuous. None of that data is needed to contribute to a world map. Further more, to re-iterate the above point this is forced upon the user. It is not an opt-in process, nor is there even a way to opt out of it. It is by definition spyware. The only barrier you have presented to the security of such information gathering is to just "trust" that you hold the data for only a few seconds. To drive this even further it is also an abuse of the bandwidth for those who may have data caps -- and issues to anyone who has a weak connection as it can induce lag and frequent disconnects by sending unnecessary data.

Characters positions are indeed sent to the map server, along with name and hat, they're used for player icons. They are not saved for more than a few seconds, nor used by anyone else than users of the map with the specific token itself.
They can be accessed by the randomly generated token in the client, when private map generation is enabled.

shubla wrote:
Every player that's around you
Every player that's around you
Your kin's character names
The hat of every player around you

None of this is true, not sure why OP is lieing, maybe he is just too bad to read the code properly ¦]

This bit is true, After looking at the code it does not send the player information around you, though this can be changed by the simple flip of a boolean in any future update of the client. I wouldn't let this distract you from the aforementioned information that is being sent. Which I think bares repeating This information gathering is forced-in and not opt-in and this it is indeed being sent for everyone who uses it.

To add on to the point once again. You are trusting someone who forces his users to have these features enabled by default to not abuse the data you give him. There is no way to opt-out of any of this.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby shubla » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:19 am

Astarisk wrote:So you force-opt in your users to send potentially sensitive data related to where they are at in the world. This data includes their position, character name, marker data and even their hat res. Quite frankly this is entirely disingenuous. None of that data is needed to contribute to a world map. Further more, to re-iterate the above point this is forced upon the user. It is not an opt-in process, nor is there even a way to opt out of it. It is by definition spyware. The only barrier you have presented to the security of such information gathering is to just "trust" that you hold the data for only a few seconds. To drive this even further it is also an abuse of the bandwidth for those who may have data caps -- and issues to anyone who has a weak connection as it can induce lag and frequent disconnects by sending unnecessary data.

No one is forced to use my client, so people can opt out of that.
User should already have maybe one of the strongest trusts towards me, because they are voluntarily running an executable mystery program downloaded from my servers.
There is no need to worry, just put your tin foil hat in your head a bit stronger.

Astarisk wrote:After looking at the code it does not send the player information around you, though this can be changed by the simple flip of a boolean in any future update of the client.

But what makes you think in the first place that the client sent to users is the same which code is in the git repository? It is, don't get me wrong, but in theory I could send in any code which already has god knows what "features". And that is the risk that all people take with custom clients in this game. The most dangerous clients are those which are given by new users to the community, I have maybe 5 years or something history of having a custom client, so its low risk.(point being that it doesnt matter if I can enable something by switching one boolean)

I give the client out for free, open source. The least people can do is contribute back to the community by improving world map, the food site etc.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby mulamishne » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:27 am

I give the client out for free, open source. The least people can do is contribute back to the community by improving world map, the food site etc.

If you're expecting for people to contribute towards the map and food service, it isn't exactly free is it? You are providing a service and expecting a service back in exchange.
Haven and Hearth discord (by far the most popular, we even banned the Retards, Pedophiles and dumb Wiki-admins): https://discord.com/invite/rb3Ufnvwxf
mulamishne

Postby Undefined » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:29 am

I don't like what you did to the mapping service. It should be a voluntary thing not sent to your own central server, while not a keylogger - this is a cheap and blatant way for you to not only build a global map but also obtain the live location of anyone using your client in-game, even if you don't use it for that, you should know by now that people aren't going to like that.
The original auto-mapper system is great because it gives you total integration into a backend server that is entirely under your own control.

While this code is in the client I would recommend no-one use it. Make it a toggle, default to off, explain what it does.
Undefined

Postby mamotromico » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:32 am

Yeah I don't see why the hell would the map would need actual positions by default, that was not at all explained previously, just that it was sending tiles.
mamotromico

Postby shubla » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:33 am

mulamishne wrote:

If you're expecting for people to contribute towards the map and food service, it isn't exactly free is it? You are providing a service and expecting a service back in exchange.

Well, true. but its rather small price, and not to my personal advantage, but the community.

Undefined wrote:I don't like what you did to the mapping service. It should be a voluntary thing not sent to your own central server, while not a keylogger - this is a cheap and blatant way for you to not only build a global map but also obtain the live location of anyone using your client in-game, even if you don't use it for that, you should know by now that people aren't going to like that.
The original auto-mapper system is great because it gives you total integration into a backend server that is entirely under your own control.

While this code is in the client I would recommend no-one use it. Make it a toggle, default to off, explain what it does.

The code is actually same as was used in last world for my private map. Map server was reworked to get all working but the client part was not really touched, so it is what it is. Perhaps checkbox could be added to not send location data, but that is a bit dumb I think, because ordinary user has no easy way to check if the checkbox even works etc. etc. nearly equivalent trust is still needed.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
shubla

Postby dafels » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:34 am

This ain't looking good Shuble. There should be a possibility to opt out sending this information and it should be off by default, then I don't see any wrongdoing anymore. If you really don't care about this information, then it should be pretty easy for you to make the option to opt out right otherwise it is very suspicious?
dafels

Postby shubla » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:38 am

dafels wrote:This ain't looking good Shuble. There should be a possibility to opt out sending this information and it should be off by default, then I don't see any wrongdoing anymore. If you don't care about this information, then it should be pretty easy for you to make the option to opt out right?

But then no one would send tiles, not even those who would be OK with it. Look at odditown map. Its based on volunteers, and it didn't map even nearly the whole world last time, even though the world lasted more than 1 year.

Haters gonna hate, use ender or something! Will probs add toggle to disable sending player locations in next update at least, even though its quite silly as I said earlier.
shubla

Postby shubla » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:41 am

Its mentioned on purus pasta thread but I'll mention it here again:

Only oldest tiles sent are included in the map, so there will not be any villages, if the tile was sent before there was a village.
Do you think that I would not protect the sprucecaps that use the client from evil gankers?

Delay to publishing map was also used, so you cannot deduce players locations.
shubla

PreviousNext

Return to The Wizards' Tower