Don't use shubla's client(Purus Pasta), it's spyware

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

Re: Don't use shubla's client(Purus Pasta), it's spyware

Postby Undefined » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:45 am

Perhaps checkbox could be added to not send location data, but that is a bit dumb I think, because ordinary user has no easy way to check if the checkbox even works etc. etc. nearly equivalent trust is still needed.

Everything you say is true, but a simple checkbox of "contribute to global public map (Note: this will expose your current location but will not be displayed publically)" alongside options to set your own endpoint server and mapping options would be absolutely tolerated by most people and not cause this sort of distaste.
You could even just not send current location along with the map tiles in which case 90% of the argument against what you do is moot.
The main issue is not that you have to be trusted anyway, the main issue is that you default to doing something, that can easily be seen as nefarious, completely silently that the player has no knowledge of, this literally makes the code untrustworthy. Regular players may not know about it and that's precisely the reason it's untrustworthy, it opens questions about what else is going on.

Edit: I actually really like your idea of using this to build a global map, but I think it needs to be managed better.
Last edited by Undefined on Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Undefined

Postby meus » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:46 am

shubla wrote:deduce players locations

They're everywhere :D

And having the map almost 95% revealed one day after world start still shows how many people actually use your client and want to help build the map. So - good job, I guess, and thanks!
meus

Postby shubla » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:48 am

Undefined wrote:Everything you say is true, but a simple checkbox of "contribute to global public map (Note: this will expose your current location but will not be displayed publically)" alongside options to set your own endpoint server and mapping options would be absolutely tolerated by most people and not cause this sort of distaste.

Yes disabling it would be easy, but if it was possible to disable it, everyone will disable it. Kind of like those cookie notifications you know? Why would you press "yes", like ever? Even though not all cookies are bad. God forbid if it was disabled by default!

Opt out is to not use my client. Case closed.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Undefined » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:49 am

meus wrote:And having the map almost 95% revealed one day after world start still shows how many people actually use your client and want to help build the map. So - good job, I guess, and thanks!

No it doesn't, if everyone who contributed knew they were doing so then this would be true, but this thread's very existence is because they don't.
Undefined

Postby Vraatjuh » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:50 am

An idea would be to let people be able to opt-in to send tiles, but reward them by doing it.
Like Giving them their own map trough vatsul.com/hnhmap/{marker} if they are willing to share map tiles.

I'm sure plenty of people would still send in map tiles, because the it's really an easy and accessible way to get your own map with markers up for you and your friends.
But it would also give people who don't want to share their map tiles the option to only use the basic client.

Edit: I do think you should add a disclaimer by default in your thread that map tiles are shared publicly.
Vraatjuh

Postby shubla » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:52 am

Vraatjuh wrote:Probably a good idea would be to let people be able to opt-in to send tiles, but reward them by doing it.
Like Giving them their own map trough vatsul.com/hnhmap/{marker} if they are willing to share map tiles.

This is already possible, and many people have contacted me to have their own maps. They are not generated by default though, to avoid generating maps that no one will use.

Vraatjuh wrote:I'm sure plenty of people would still send in map tiles, because the it's really an easy and accessible way to get your own map with markers up for you and your friends.

Some people yeah, but majority of people do not need their own private map.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Undefined » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:55 am

shubla wrote:Yes disabling it would be easy, but if it was possible to disable it, everyone will disable it. Kind of like those cookie notifications you know? Why would you press "yes", like ever? Even though not all cookies are bad. God forbid if it was disabled by default!

Opt out is to not use my client. Case closed.

Why do you think we have cookie notifications?

Just wow. I don't think you understand what a terrible statement and stance to not only privacy but the design of anything in general, that is to have. It's your choice dude, just makes you an absolute twat with a client I recommend no-one uses in its present state.
Undefined

Postby dafels » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:59 am

I'm sure if you create a one-time popup in your client that explains the purpose of sending the data and a option to disable it, there will be still a enough people who will share their maps and nothing will be done wrong.
Forcing people to do so is the worst thing you can do in such case, it borders on spyware
dafels

Postby Baldarich » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:13 am

dont worry guys only retards and nabs use shublas crypto mining client, who cares if some poor finnish student with bpd too much free time and no friends uses some hermits location to steal his q18 chanterelles and maybe kill him considering shubla cant kill a fox without bots
Teleskop wrote:if the chance to win a lottery is 1 to 1 000 000 it doesnt mean im any closer to winning after buying 1 000 000 tickets
Baldarich

Postby Ardennesss » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:19 am

O hey Shubla is still doing the same thing he's been doing for 3 years now and suddenly the community cares because he took one step too far over the line.
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

PreviousNext

Return to The Wizards' Tower