Ethically-Sourced Copy-Pasta Client.

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

Re: Ethical Copy-Pasta Client.

Postby shubla » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:44 pm

Astarisk wrote:please take the discussion to the previous thread (linked in the first post) or to your own thread. You are making it hard to see any issues that people may have.

Well I blame loftar for opening the discussion in this thread instead of the other.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby loftar » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:50 pm

Astarisk wrote:Here is the commit (I know its not entirely clean, please no judgement).
https://github.com/Astarisk/ethical-cop ... 384ecab723

Code cleanliness standards aside, I do think that if the whole point of this client is to clear it of what you consider to be controversial code, the changes should at least not be washed out by broad-sweeping reformatting and indentation changes.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby azrid » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:04 pm

shubla wrote:button that closes the launcher to opt out.

This is the best option make the opt out button read "opt out/close client".
Protect your idea that has helped the community more than these private client users.
I am sure they still use the world map you have made.
azrid

Postby Pills » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:53 pm

shubla wrote:
Astarisk wrote:[
I feel that should include the information being sent as oppose to being so vague. It should also include a check box that is opt-in instead of just forcing the user into it. But if that doesn't please most people they are most welcome to grab Ethical Copy-Pasta. You should keep your client updates to your thread! I wouldn't want people to confuse the two.

If somebody is blind enough not to read it while the client does it lengthy downloads, he has maybe earned his lost privacy or whatever.

Opt out will not be added, maybe button that closes the launcher for lols if something. People who want to opt out can use different clients ie. this one, and feel the heavy load on their conscience about using these services but not contributing to them.

I think you're massively misunderstanding the problem everybody has with this.

You are collecting mass information about the locations of everybody using your client and your response is "if you don't like it then fuck off" when the reality of the situation is you could spend about 5 minutes to add a tickbox in your settings to opt-out of sending you map information.

Personally i'm not against the overall idea, but refusing to have an opt-out kind of speaks volumes about the potential levels of abuse you have access to given the amount of information that is being spoonfed to you and your disregard for those concerns.
Pills

Postby shubla » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:00 pm

Pills wrote:Personally i'm not against the overall idea, but refusing to have an opt-out kind of speaks volumes about the potential levels of abuse you have access to given the amount of information that is being spoonfed to you and your disregard for those concerns.

Yes you shall all fear shubla gang, coming for your hats tonight!
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Audiosmurf » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:07 pm

shubla wrote:
Pills wrote:Personally i'm not against the overall idea, but refusing to have an opt-out kind of speaks volumes about the potential levels of abuse you have access to given the amount of information that is being spoonfed to you and your disregard for those concerns.

Yes you shall all fear shubla gang, coming for your hats tonight!

jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby ErdTod » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:26 pm

Though why wouldn't you add a tickbox to opt out, but when opted out, still collect the data? Sounds like something you'd do. Microsoft does it :P
ErdTod

Postby cherryquartz » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:59 pm

azrid wrote:
shubla wrote:button that closes the launcher to opt out.

This is the best option make the opt out button read "opt out/close client".
Protect your idea that has helped the community more than these private client users.
I am sure they still use the world map you have made.

Are you talking about the world map that he stole from Alg? That world map? The one he asks people to donate to, when Alg has never asked for a penny?

Shubla has no morals at all, more fool the people that choose to download the client.
cherryquartz

Postby azrid » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:40 pm

cherryquartz wrote:Are you talking about the world map that he stole from Alg? That world map? The one he asks people to donate to, when Alg has never asked for a penny?
Shubla has no morals at all, more fool the people that choose to download the client.

His client made it possible for the noobs to see the world map earlier. He notifies you what you are getting into when you read his client launcher.
Unconventional methods but exceptional results.
I never understood the hate for donations.
Any content creator deserves a donation button where people can throw money into its pretty common these days too.
You say steal I say improve.

Theres clearly some kind of past grudge for some of these anti shubla people. I know from experience Haven players can be very petty and unforgiving.
azrid

Postby BoxingRock » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:03 pm

azrid wrote:His client made it possible for the noobs to see the world map earlier. He notifies you what you are getting into when you read his client launcher.
Unconventional methods but exceptional results.

It also upset a lot of people because nobody suspected they would need a lawyer and a to read a ToS agreement for the first time ever while using a custom client and that so much data would be unnecessarily collected.

azrid wrote:I never understood the hate for donations.
Any content creator deserves a donation button where people can throw money into its pretty common these days too.
You say steal I say improve.

Read that again. :lol:
Shubla did not create the content, he stole it.
If you do not understand the hate for somebody who asks for money in exchange for somebody else's work perhaps you are not familiar with a common concept referred to as the law.

azrid wrote:Theres clearly some kind of past grudge for some of these anti shubla people. I know from experience Haven players can be very petty and unforgiving.

The devs have stated it nearly 100 times and the entire community recognizes that it has been shubla's top priority and practically his daily routine to upset the community with his endless forum trolling and shenanigans. If anybody is surprised that shubla is being judged as though they understand that typical shubla behaviour is generally distasteful and that this is not a 1-time incident then I would argue that these pro-shubla people are the ones with the grudge because it's simply a dishonest point of view.
"Not to say that we're in any way perfect, but for the most part, what you call "lack of communication" is simply reflective of how we develop." - loftar
BoxingRock

PreviousNext

Return to The Wizards' Tower