Nearly Killed cause "bug abuse"

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

Nearly Killed cause "bug abuse"

Postby CrashM3 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:45 pm

I was traveling and questing, minding my own business.
And then I saw something on the map and after that, insta crash. Tried to close the game, no chance, window went white and I got a error message in the upper left corner with "An Error Acured" or so.
I checked the Task Manager and saw that the java App was using something like +16 GB Ram or so. Killed the task, rejoined the game and saw 7 ppl dancing around me (I had ~10 hard HP left or so) and my loot was lying on the ground.
I was able to port back to HF, but yeah. Never had a crash like that before, feels a little bit "forced"...

Just as Info:

Using EnderClient, latest update (v03.04.2021 20:14)
venatorvenator wrote:I just found it funny that while almost everyone says they dislike village rules a German comes wanting more of it. Living up to the stereotype:)
CrashM3

Re: Nearly Killed cause "bug abuse"

Postby Pills » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:49 pm

CrashM3 wrote:I was traveling and questing, minding my own business.
And then I saw something on the map and after that, insta crash. Tried to close the game, no chance, window went white and I got a error message in the upper left corner with "An Error Acured" or so.
I checked the Task Manager and saw that the java App was using something like +16 GB Ram or so. Killed the task, rejoined the game and saw 7 ppl dancing around me (I had ~10 hard HP left or so) and my loot was lying on the ground.
I was able to port back to HF, but yeah. Never had a crash like that before, feels a little bit "forced"...

Just as Info:

Sounds like they know exactly what they were doing tbh. Everybody involved in this should be banned from the game.
Pills

Postby Ardennesss » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:53 pm

Pills wrote:

Just as Info:

Sounds like they know exactly what they were doing tbh. Everybody involved in this should be banned from the game.
Given the recent Shubla thread, good luck.

If you got a crash report, I'd send that to Ender so he can fix the cause - not much else that can be done than that.
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby Pills » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:59 pm

Ardennesss wrote:
Pills wrote:

Just as Info:

Given the recent Shubla thread, good luck.

If you got a crash report, I'd send that to Ender so he can fix the cause - not much else that can be done than that.

People abusing bugs like that shouldn't be allowed to play the game regardless of other things going on.
Pills

Postby maze » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:32 pm

Ardennesss wrote:~

you seem to forget the last time people did this. Jorb nuked their towns.
Unless they report it to jorb now and get a pink dev cape.
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Postby loftar » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:31 am

I looked into this. I can see from the logs OP being attacked and knocked out, and then timing out and logging back in, so that seems to check out so far. I also looked into the people attacking him, however, and while they have been attacking other people as well, I cannot see any indication of any of them timing out and logging back in or otherwise crashing, so unlikely as though it may sound, I think I'm forced to conclude for now that it really was a weird coincidence. Please keep me updated if anything to the contrary is observed.

CrashM3 wrote:and I got a error message in the upper left corner with "An Error Acured" or so.

If there was an error report in there, it would've really helped to have it.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Pills » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:23 am

loftar wrote:I looked into this. I can see from the logs OP being attacked and knocked out, and then timing out and logging back in, so that seems to check out so far. I also looked into the people attacking him, however, and while they have been attacking other people as well, I cannot see any indication of any of them timing out and logging back in or otherwise crashing, so unlikely as though it may sound, I think I'm forced to conclude for now that it really was a weird coincidence. Please keep me updated if anything to the contrary is observed.

CrashM3 wrote:and I got a error message in the upper left corner with "An Error Acured" or so.

It could be that they know of an exploit in other clients and have since patched it in theirs so they wouldn't be affected and would only crash other clients.

Edit: I misread what you wrote, i thought you meant no indication of the attackers timing out*
Pills

Postby shubla » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:33 am

This is completely allowed these days. Literally no consequences. Some people have admitted to kill multiple people by crashing them last world by trading hats etc. and of course not disclosing this bug to devs. And they got no punishment. So feel free to abuse all bugs and never tell devs about them so they wont be fixed and you won't be punished, even if you bragged about your achievements later on!
loftar wrote:

Something something collecting errors from custom clients :D
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby CrashM3 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:38 pm

loftar wrote:I looked into this. I can see from the logs OP being attacked and knocked out, and then timing out and logging back in, so that seems to check out so far. I also looked into the people attacking him, however, and while they have been attacking other people as well, I cannot see any indication of any of them timing out and logging back in or otherwise crashing, so unlikely as though it may sound, I think I'm forced to conclude for now that it really was a weird coincidence. Please keep me updated if anything to the contrary is observed.

Is the Bug Report saved anywhere, loftar?
venatorvenator wrote:I just found it funny that while almost everyone says they dislike village rules a German comes wanting more of it. Living up to the stereotype:)
CrashM3

Postby loftar » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:56 pm

CrashM3 wrote:Is the Bug Report saved anywhere, loftar?

Crash reports that are sent to me are saved, but since there is none from your account, I can only assume that your custom client didn't send it to me. (Which in and of itself I do recommend, since they clog up my error logs with information that often aren't my bugs to begin with, and even when they are, I often cannot debug them directly since the line numbers don't match up, and I often don't even have a way to know what client to look at.) I don't know whether Ender has his own error receiver which saves them.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Next

Return to The Wizards' Tower