Working on a new client

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

Re: Working on a new client

Postby noindyfikator » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:17 pm

Bruv, can't you learn unity? You will do everything 10 times faster than with LWJGL/LIBGDX and with 100% more performance and code maintenance.
Rewriting current client with unity is like ~6 months of full time work (with learning the framework)
W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Postby Limitless0 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:47 pm

If you want a unity client and it's "only" six months of full time work, make one yourself. This will not be a unity client.
Limitless0

Postby noindyfikator » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:41 pm

So you will waste your time making another crap
W11 - The Friend Zone
W13 - Monke
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Postby telum12 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:51 pm

Limitless0 wrote:You're right, it wouldn't be automatic.
And the JOGL betas straight up don't work, so If I want to actually play the game I have to move to a different framework.
So I guess the short answer is: I don't expect to merge loftars changes very easily

Idk what you’re doing but last I checked it was running a 2.4 rc built like 3 months ago…
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby telum12 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:58 pm

noindyfikator wrote:So you will waste your time making another crap

You have literally zero idea what you’re talking about. Are you Monke’s client dev? I hope not for their sake…

OP you should probably take a look at the “Resource” class. Be very careful about Manor changes to the client because the following things will happen frequently:

- a new res starts interacting with something you changed and breaks the client in random ways

- loftar changes some message buffer that screws your over, possibly hidden is some ad-hoc res widget spawning

Overwriting res is dangerous because it will likely break when randomly updated.

The devs are zero help here and don’t let you know when they change things.

Swapping the OpenGL lib seems scary given how Loftar uses things. Don’t expect things to work like you’d expect from normal projects. If you want to know what I mean take a look as his shader Java code (yup, you heard me right).

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

telum12

Postby noindyfikator » Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:07 pm

telum12 wrote:
noindyfikator wrote:You have literally zero idea what you’re talking about. Are you Monke’s client dev? I hope not for their sake.

No, hafen code is not enjoyable to spend time after work on it.

I am just saying, if he go with library (not framework, I know libgdx is framework but comparing to unity it's a baby), he will resign after some time. Why? If he want to rewrite this client, he will spend really A LOT of time on it, getting cancer over and over again trying to rewrite existing code to another crap.
W11 - The Friend Zone
W13 - Monke
noindyfikator

Postby Limitless0 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:30 pm

I mean, the client code is a mess, you’re right.
Limitless0

Postby telum12 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:03 pm

noindyfikator wrote:
telum12 wrote:
noindyfikator wrote:You have literally zero idea what you’re talking about. Are you Monke’s client dev? I hope not for their sake.

No, hafen code is not enjoyable to spend time after work on it.

I am just saying, if he go with library (not framework, I know libgdx is framework but comparing to unity it's a baby), he will resign after some time. Why? If he want to rewrite this client, he will spend really A LOT of time on it, getting cancer over and over again trying to rewrite existing code to another crap.

Oh okay yeah. Please explain to me how you'll handle running res files in your Unity client, and how this will simplify your life...

telum12

Postby Elizaberry » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:39 pm

A mac client is sorely needed OP. I dont have much technical knowledge but would be more than thrilled to have some options as a die hard macker.
Elizaberry

Postby nikitron » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:59 pm

Before someone starts building a new client, please think about how you will transfer updates and keep your client up to date. This is a very big problem, since you cannot change the current code, but write a new one somewhere. It doesn't matter if it's Unity, LWJGL, JOGL - you need to decide this first.

Migration from JOGL to LWJGL currently is impossible - because you need to somehow get rid of AWT. There are a lot of hooks and mixing of jogl and AWT, it's hell.

Maybe, If Lofrtar will support you, you can help to implement modules and do some small refactoring in current client. But I don't know, start sins 2008 year we have only 5 new contributors with 11 commits (if GitHub is right)
nikitron

PreviousNext

Return to The Wizards' Tower