Working on a new client

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

Re: Working on a new client

Postby iamahh » Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:07 pm

noindyfikator wrote:
iamahh wrote:join the Modders discord, may find something there

it's dead discord

if you want memes and chitchat, yes

but if you want to search the backlog or ask something, may be useful
iamahh

Postby Procne » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:23 pm

How exactly do you want to split it into modules and then keep maintaining and merging in the changes made by loftar in default client?
Procne

Postby Limitless0 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:33 pm

You're right, it wouldn't be automatic.
And the JOGL betas straight up don't work, so If I want to actually play the game I have to move to a different framework.
So I guess the short answer is: I don't expect to merge loftars changes very easily
Limitless0

Postby noindyfikator » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:48 pm

Do you know it will be like a full time job to make something really useable?
W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Postby Procne » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:55 am

I was actually thinking of using aspect J to "inject" or straight up replace logic in default client without having to touch the default code. It'd be insanely hacky and quite nasty (I hate aspect programming, especially when about to use it for anything more than someboilerplate stuff like logging, but in this case I see it as lesser evil), but if you make some nice "hooks" this way you would be able to add your own tweaks, and not worry about merging loftar's changes that much.
Procne

Postby noindyfikator » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:32 am

Looks like u better leave this project if you want to add aspects to Hafen code xD
W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Postby vatas » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:12 pm

Wonder if it would be more cost-effective to spend the time on freelance coding instead, and use that money to buy Loftar the specific type of Mac he would need to test/compile the Mac version?
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Limitless0 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:13 pm

I've been messing around with code, and here's what's new:

JOGL straight up doesn't work. I've spent many, many hours trying to make it work. Short of becoming an active maintainer for JOGL, there's nothing I can do.
I'm going to spend the next day or so messing around with LWJGL, as I've never used it before. Then I'll come back, see if I can get something running, and decide where to go from there.

What I am not going to do is give Loftar money for a Mac and hope he makes a usable client. JOGL is broken, he'd have to rewrite it too. I'm also not going to add aspects to the client code.

I am not 100% sure on sharing my source code either. I could be convinced, but for what is looking like a huge project I'd like to maintain some sort of ownership over it, you know?
Limitless0

Postby Nightdawg » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:26 pm

Limitless0 wrote:What I am not going to do is give Loftar money for a Mac and hope he makes a usable client.

It's ok, he's trying his best with the current one.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Limitless0 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:31 pm

Nightdawg wrote:It's ok, he's trying his best with the current one.

You miss my point, JOGL itself is broken for the new Macs, if he wanted to get the client working on them he'd have to either contribute to JOGL or migrate to some other library. Both of which are time intensive options that have no immediate upside apart from client works on tiny percentage more computers now.
Limitless0

PreviousNext

Return to The Wizards' Tower