Core overheats while playing H&H for some reason

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

Core overheats while playing H&H for some reason

Postby Alince » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:35 pm

The tittle says it, some additional information is that my laptop shutsdown cause of overheating after a few hours of gameplay for some reason.
Laptop specs:
Device name HP Pavilon Laptop 15
Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Nvidia card GeForce MX450

would appreciate it if someone could tell me why the tempeture rises so much, thanks in advance
Alince

Re: Core overheats while playing H&H for some reason

Postby Audiosmurf » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:36 pm

Default client?
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby loftar » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:37 pm

Audiosmurf wrote:Default client?

I don't think it matters what client, or even game, it is. The system shouldn't be overheating regardless, even if you run a power virus. If I were OP, I'd check for dust build-up or old, bad thermal compound, or something like it.

You may also want to check so that the client is actually running on your MX450, though. In some of these mixed iGPU/nVidia systems, it seems that whatever subsystem it is that selects the GPU defaults to run Java programs on the iGPU. While it still shouldn't matter, concentrating the thermal load on the CPU chip alone could certainly make it heat up more than if the dGPU takes the graphics load.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Alince » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:19 pm

loftar wrote:
Audiosmurf wrote:Default client?

I don't think it matters what client, or even game, it is. The system shouldn't be overheating regardless, even if you run a power virus. If I were OP, I'd check for dust build-up or old, bad thermal compound, or something like it.

You may also want to check so that the client is actually running on your MX450, though. In some of these mixed iGPU/nVidia systems, it seems that whatever subsystem it is that selects the GPU defaults to run Java programs on the iGPU. While it still shouldn't matter, concentrating the thermal load on the CPU chip alone could certainly make it heat up more than if the dGPU takes the graphics load.

Its not Dust(Cleaned it with air pressure just now anyway), the Laptop is relatively new, as far as the Nvidia card, I dont know why but the Intel I7 core is heating up instead for some reason, the Nvidia Control Panel is set to High performance as far as I know, any advice?
Edit(Battery is also set to high performance)
Alince

Postby loftar » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:50 pm

Alince wrote:the Laptop is relatively new, as far as the Nvidia card, I dont know why but the Intel I7 core is heating up instead for some reason

I'm not quite sure how to parse this sentence, but if you're saying that the CPU is heating up while the GPU isn't, I'd double-check what I said about the client potentially running on the iGPU instead.

That being said, even if that's the case, that's still not an excuse for having the CPU overheat. As I said, it shouldn't be overheating even if you were running a power virus. If the cooling system, including the heatsink itself and any air channels around it, really are clean, and you think it's new enough that there shouldn't be any worries about old thermal paste, I'd honestly start considering getting some sort of warranty repair or even replacement.
loftar

Postby telum12 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:41 am

Laptops are not able to keep CPUs cool enough to run it at high capacity. There is a bug in one of the intel cpu monitor drivers which does not set the CPU into thermal throttling which causes premature shutdown when the CPU reaches 100 degrees. Googling this issue (should) lead you to the name of this driver, which you can downgrade to fix the issue.

There are also some software from intel to debug and stress test your CPU which will tell you at which points your CPU is doing a normal throttle and the a thermal throttle. If the CPU is actually reaching thermal throttling and still has this issue, something is definitely faulty (gap in your paste or something like that).

Also, make sure to try out a non-default client, as they generally run smoother, though I think the only good one at the moment is Ender's. Just make sure to check the settings and disable certain animations, enable simple foraging, limit your FPS, hide trees and so on. If you weren't limiting FPS that is probably the largest contributor, as the game is very CPU-driven and have some CPU optimization issues on the public clients.
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby loftar » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:58 am

telum12 wrote:There is a bug in one of the intel cpu monitor drivers which does not set the CPU into thermal throttling which causes premature shutdown when the CPU reaches 100 degrees. Googling this issue (should) lead you to the name of this driver, which you can downgrade to fix the issue.

I hate to doubt you, but citation needed. Throttling tends to be implemented in the hardware, not in drivers.
loftar

Postby Alince » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:25 am

I noticed something, apparently when I take out the charger all of a sudden im solid 50c temperature for some reason, does this help pin point the issue?
just to elaborate further I been playing all this time with this temperature now that the charger is out, but the battery doesnt last long enough for me to play consistently like this
Alince

Postby telum12 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:27 am

loftar wrote:
telum12 wrote:There is a bug in one of the intel cpu monitor drivers which does not set the CPU into thermal throttling which causes premature shutdown when the CPU reaches 100 degrees. Googling this issue (should) lead you to the name of this driver, which you can downgrade to fix the issue.

I hate to doubt you, but citation needed. Throttling tends to be implemented in the hardware, not in drivers.

This was an issue in "Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Driver." The actual thermal shutdown is still fixed in hardware afaik, but the drivers are able to mess around with some of the throttling paramaters afaik. I'm sure they've fixed it by now, so OP might try updating their intel drivers instead of downgrading.

I had this issue on my old work laptop that was caused by a specific version update on this driver.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

telum12

Postby telum12 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:28 am

Alince wrote:I noticed something, apparently when I take out the charger all of a sudden im solid 50c temperature for some reason, does this help pin point the issue?
just to elaborate further I been playing all this time with this temperature now that the charger is out, but the battery doesnt last long enough for me to play consistently like this

You might have a faulty battery. Is there any bloating around the battery? Should probably get that checked out.

telum12

Next

Return to The Wizards' Tower