Time for a Wiki?

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Time for a Wiki?

Postby Peter » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:20 am

I for one would like a consistent place to look for information. A forum is ok, but disorganized and often out of date, especially with such a rapidly changing game.
A wiki would be a great place for this information, and allow for such things as a player-updated map.

At the very least, one result of such a project would be to decrease the number of newbs like me asking (sometimes literally) "How I mine 4 fish?"
Or you could at least have one URL to respond to them with while using the well worn DF-pro phrase "read the wiki".
Surprise.
Peter

Re: Time for a Wiki?

Postby Laremere » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:22 am

The devs have stated that they're generally against the idea of a wiki, as it would ruin some of the game's atmosphere of discovering things.
Laremere

Postby Peter » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:39 am

Such as "discovering" that you have no defenses at all from foxes until you buy several skills?
At the very least there should be a collection of the UI information and in-game documentation, for instance, what it is that skills actually do; especially since many skills don't even have in-game documentation at all (though such write-ups are, of course, coming).

Then there's miscellaneous stuff like needing to right-click on fires to use them to cook, and the complex, arcane rituals needed to plant a tree sapling.
Just things like that.

If it's really that big a deal, you can put spoiler tags on 'er.
And really I do understand the idea of keeping a sense of exploration in the game, but there's the pragmatic side of allowing players to choose how much they want to explore and how much they want to... succeed.
Surprise.
Peter

Postby Laremere » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:46 am

That information can be found on the forum with searching. A wiki would make information almost too easy to find, and would take the fun out of discovering things. Also, things will become more apparent ingame as the game gets finished, and a wiki wouldn't die without people complaining because they're already dependent on it.
Laremere

Postby loftar » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:54 am

I'm not too fond of the idea of an "official" wiki. Of course, I wouldn't mind if someone set up a wiki of their own. Either way, I don't think that "official" information about the game should come through the web resources. Rather, we're attempting to get a quest system running, that can be used for tutorial purposes.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Return to Critique & Ideas