On Recycling

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

On Recycling

Postby Foxiestfox » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:37 am

I never quite understood why we can`t place metal objects in a smelter and get back a bar per slot of the object, or dismantle liftable things that have metal components for some scrap metal that can then be used with an alloying crucible to obtain bars of metal. This way we could actually turn swords into plowshares, or the opposite.

I`m similarly puzzled by not being able to use liftable wooden objects (like chairs and such) to fuel at least bonfires nor burn non liftable wooden items (like cheese trays) in a kiln to produce charcoal. Also it`s a bit strange that no liftable wooden object leaves behind splintered wood that could be used as fuel upon destruction.

There might be some issues regarding how to handle quality formulas on those items, but the general idea of reutilizing the materials seems like a logical next step considering existing game mechanics, so I leave it here as a suggestion.
Foxiestfox

Re: On Recycling

Postby Arcanist » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:06 am

And feed meat to pigs and chickens :D
we need something to do with all of this sheep stuff.
Arcanist

Postby Kathdys » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:47 am

I feel like if it were possible to collect Soldier's Swords by smashing Chieftain's Statues, there would be a lot fewer of those darn statues in the world.
Kathdys

Postby Jesus_Smith_Nandez » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:20 am

Imagine: Searching down broken ruins to salvage the scrap and recycle it later, with a new "salvage" action in the adventure menu. It sure would give incentive to clean up abandoned plots and give newbies a way to get metal. Only certain items would be able to be salvaged for scrap (Bwall cornerposts, Cheiftan statues, etc.), and they would only be salvagable by newbies once they decay a certain amount.

It's an interesting idea I think.
HnH Videos
God bless
Jesus_Smith_Nandez

Postby Arcanist » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:17 pm

Jesus_Smith_Nandez wrote:Imagine: Searching down broken ruins to salvage the scrap and recycle it later, with a new "salvage" action in the adventure menu. It sure would give incentive to clean up abandoned plots and give newbies a way to get metal. Only certain items would be able to be salvaged for scrap (Bwall cornerposts, Cheiftan statues, etc.), and they would only be salvagable by newbies once they decay a certain amount.

It's an interesting idea I think.

I disagree with the walls thing, imagine on a raid if you could bash a gate to 25%, salvage the steel, bash a cp to 25%, take the wrounght, then use the metal to make a new wall, or likewise raid a place with decaying walls using no ram and no high levels of strength.
Arcanist

Postby venatorvenator » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:41 am

That's a really interesting idea. And it also solves that issue of excessive abandoned claims.

Jorbtar, could you tell us your thoughts on this?
Xcom wrote:Most good things last only a short time
venatorvenator

Postby LadyV » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:34 pm

Im not totally opposed to this with limitations. Recycled metal should be base quality of 10. We certainly don't have the modern refining techniques to make it better or equal to whatever it may have been.

Sort of the same thing with wood. Yes they can be burned but they are hardly optimal fuel. Treat it as base quality wood for any use other than what it is.

All these items may have higher quality than base but the very nature of them does not lend to reshaping or other uses. So yes a q100 sword could be melted to make a plow. But a plows metal is hardly sword worthy, thus the need to treat it as base quality. And so with that all recycled metal must be treated as such unless the game then tracks all original qualities and bloats stored info.

Wood objects like chairs are not good for coal at all. Certainly not in the quantity needed for fuel. So it should be restricted to bonfires and maybe fires.
LadyV

Postby loftar » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:03 pm

The primary reason why this isn't possible is simply that I have no good way to match an object to the "recycled output" it would yield without duplicating that information everywhere.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby windmaker » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:05 pm

loftar just make more uses to meat sheep....
Image #swag
windmaker

Postby LadyV » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:09 pm

loftar wrote:The primary reason why this isn't possible is simply that I have no good way to match an object to the "recycled output" it would yield without duplicating that information everywhere.

Fair enough.
LadyV

Return to Critique & Ideas