[suggestion] Scents provide a buff

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: [suggestion] Scents provide a buff

Postby Qeeet » Mon May 04, 2015 8:51 am

burgingham wrote:I still don't see the point though. Why does anyone need a buff from gathering scents? There has to be a good reason for a suggestion. Just because it is possible does not suffice.

We can play tetris with one type of brick. We do not need another bricks, even if it is possible

burgingham wrote:Scents are a completely neutral way to indicate someone has performed a certain action. There is no inherent moral measurement involved and I am quite certain that is what your idea indicates. For some reason you have the notion a tracker should be rewarded for tracking and a perpetrator punished for being tracked when there is really no reason apparent for that kind of imbalance.

Let's say I want to go ranger path, I want to see all scents, I put lp into exploration. With such lp spent not on au or mc I would have 0 chances against perpetrator.
I see a balance here, you see imbalance. Let's discuss.
I would like to remind you I am not forcing to do this, ok? The subforum is called Critique&Ideas.
Qeeet

Re: [suggestion] Scents provide a buff

Postby Patchouli_Knowledge » Mon May 04, 2015 9:42 am

Qeeet wrote:We can play tetris with one type of brick. We do not need another bricks, even if it is possible

Qeeet wrote:Let's say I want to go ranger path, I want to see all scents, I put lp into exploration. With such lp spent not on au or mc I would have 0 chances against perpetrator.
I see a balance here, you see imbalance. Let's discuss.
I would like to remind you I am not forcing to do this, ok? The subforum is called Critique&Ideas.

Playing Tetris with the long block alone or squares alone is pointless so different combination shapes is required to throw some variation. Combat buffs to scents has no benefits to the tracking mechanics, in fact it is detrimental to rangers as it can be exploited.

1a. Make an minor alt that is cheap enough that you can easily produce but decent enough that you can genuinely wreck havoc on a victim.
1b. Alternatively, provoke an enemy faction's tracker to cause disruption or even leaving a ram for later attacks.
2. Tracker gets scents, goes over to where the alt is. Put the alt behind a brick wall so that it actually requires effort and mains to get in. No amount of scent buffs will allow you to get in there, only strength and vandalism.
3. Tracker kills alt.
4. Now I have an advantage over the said tracker as my faction has a bunch of murder scents on the tracker.

The target faction is in a lose/lose position. If they do not hunt for the perpetrator alt, it will continue to cause harm, or in scenario b, they may end up failing to find the rain resulting in them getting raided; but if they do, they leave scents for the enemy faction to gain a buff against that individual (as if being tracked is not a disadvantage enough as it already is).

You are still required to take into mind to criticisms to your suggestions to actually be taken seriously. Otherwise, people will simply ignore any C&I thread with your name on it. Some of us may be harsh on it (I try not to be) but there is a basis on why it is criticized.
-=The law of inverse desire=- The chances of dropping what you want is the reciprocal of how much you want it.
Patchouli_Knowledge

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas