3x LP until same LP after death

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Carrot on a stick idea for hafen

Postby Woot » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:03 pm

While the rich getting richer is a reality of haven and hearth, that doesn't mean you have to add to it with your stupid ideas that only benefit you and your type of player.
Like I said, you are framing it as a good thing for the masses, but mechanically, that's bullshit. and it hurts more than it helps.

Bad idea is bad.
To: Woot
deffinitely, best fight i've ever gotten
Thanks man.
Woot

Postby overtyped » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:53 pm

Woot wrote:While the rich getting richer is a reality of haven and hearth, that doesn't mean you have to add to it with your stupid ideas that only benefit you and your type of player.
Like I said, you are framing it as a good thing for the masses, but mechanically, that's bullshit. and it hurts more than it helps.

Bad idea is bad.

Right.. because being able to catch back up faster when you die is a bad thing.
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Postby Woot » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:39 pm

Completely ignoring my point is also bad.
Thanks man.
Woot

Postby Fharlanghn » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:59 pm

Thors never has a point.

He's been utterly pointless since World 4, and his only claim to fame was hurting the group that eventually became Bearcrest.
Fharlanghn

Postby overtyped » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:11 am

Fharlanghn wrote:Thors never has a point.

He's been utterly pointless since World 4, and his only claim to fame was hurting the group that eventually became Bearcrest.

Bob dole completely forgot about bearcrest, it brings back fond memories.

Woot.. I am now going to explain this as simply as possible that even you can grasp this.
Lets pretend LP is marbles.
One person has 3 marbles, and another person has 4 marbles.
Both people die with 100 marbles of LP.
The player with 4 marbles will catch up faster than the person with 3 marbles. So what?

So... Woot now that you have figured out 2+2=4 Do you have any real refutations for me?
overtyped

Postby Woot » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:09 am

Yeah I do, Dunno if you are just trolling or not, or if it's a language barrier, But I've state my point multiple times, but let's try it with marbles.

Child A has 6 marbles
Child B has 30.

If the table both children are playing on is tipped over, The schoolteacher will give three marbles each ever minute until they have as many as they had before
One minute goes by, Child A is given three marbles, Child B is given three marbles.
Another goes by, same thing. leaving both children with 6 marbles.

Then another minute goes by, child A receives one marble, bringing him to 7 and child B receives another 3, making him have 9
then 8, 12
then 9,15
then 10,18
then 11,21
then 12,24
then 13,27
then 14,30

So, the child with 6 marbles before the table was flipped only reaped triple marble time twice, wheras the child who had 30 marbles to begin with got to benefit from it ten whole times before returning to one marble for each minute.

But let's look at it as it is now for 10 turns.

Child A has 6 marbles
Child B has 30.

The table is flipped over, now both children have no marbles
Teacher gives marbles 1,1
etc etc

What you are suggesting effectively nullifies the one great equalizer between the haves and the have nots. Death.
Thanks man.
Woot

Postby overtyped » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:50 am

Woot wrote:What you are suggesting effectively nullifies the one great equalizer between the haves and the have nots. Death.

Ok i see what you are saying. You are saying death equalizes? How about this then.
Let's say everyone in the game has the same amount of lp gain and 1 year into the world, every warrior has the same amount of lp (1 year of lp is 2000 unarmed)
Now, every villages warriors have died 1 year into the world all at once, except one village. Why should any of those dead warriors bother playing anymore if they have no incentive or way to catch up?

My idea doesn't solve the issue I just presented, but it gives people who have been killed reason to play. They can get back their 2000 unarmed in 1/3 the time, THUS EQUALIZATION.

I know of course the game doesn't run in this perfect scenario, some people have more time/better curios, but at least the people who died will have a reason to keep trying.
overtyped

Postby Woot » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:54 am

You make a point about keeping people playing, There should be a system for that, but that's solving on problem, at the expense of making another problem much much worse.
Thanks man.
Woot

Postby overtyped » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:57 am

Woot wrote:You make a point about keeping people playing, There should be a system for that, but that's solving on problem, at the expense of making another problem much much worse.

Then I guess it just comes down to differing opinions. I don't see how the current system is better, and they do this catchup mechanism in other games already with permadeath. One good example is the mmo "Dofus" on the hardcore server oto mustam. If they didn't have that 3x exp increase until reaching the level you died at, i would of never kept playing after dying at lvl 150.
overtyped

Postby Woot » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:06 am

While I never played that game, I think I can spot the problem in your logic.
That game seems to have a lot of Player vs Environment(Ai monsters and such) and the triple XP is to prevent you from having to play through the same old content to get back where you were.

That is not the case in haven, there are only three aggro monsters, boar bear, and trolls, and anyone can evade those fairly easily most of the time.
Your biggest threat in haven has always been other players.

So it's like comparing purple and the letter B to see which number is higher.
It just doesn't compute.
Thanks man.
Woot

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas