Forming my own Village? Do's and Don't?

Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Forming my own Village? Do's and Don't?

Postby FurryDave5 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:25 am

I've decided that after enough time under a somewhat oppressive leader, that I am going to go out and with similar-minded and supportive people, I will form my own village under the sun of World 10. But, being new to village running and lawspeaking, I need advice. Please help me out.
Heroes get remembered but legends never die, follow your heart kid, and you'll never go wrong.
-Babe Ruth
FurryDave5

Re: Forming my own Village? Do's and Don't?

Postby spawningmink » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:45 am

dont settle under dis claim and get ready to get fucked by factions
ChildhoodObossite wrote:I actually lowkey admire Frosty, sometimes he can be a really cool guy

spawningmink
Under curfew

Postby Jesus_Smith_Nandez » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:57 am

yeah dis is evil
HnH Videos
God bless
Jesus_Smith_Nandez

Postby GamingRAM » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:32 am

FurryDave5 wrote:I've decided that after enough time under a somewhat oppressive leader, that I am going to go out and with similar-minded and supportive people, I will form my own village under the sun of World 10. But, being new to village running and lawspeaking, I need advice. Please help me out.

First meet up with all your friends (Wilderness Beacons are useful for this if they haven't spawned yet. You can also rush Carpentry for this early on) and make a camp. You'll need to get your stats up and get some metal tools. You will be terraforming A LOT to make your village, so having a good axe, a shovel, and pickaxe will make your life much, much easier.
Also get the following:
- All the seeds. All of them. (At least all the crop seeds + Mulberries).
- A bunch of bee-hives to make wax. Hardened Leather for Travel Sacks is helpful in almost every way.

Before you settle down and create your village, you'll want to search around first for a good spot. Things to look for include:
- Good Quality Soil. (This isn't necessary anymore due to the compost bins, but still helpful early on).
- Good Water Q node. Raising Water Q in a well sucks ass. So unless you can get a Knarr to stockpile on high quality water some distance way, you should consider settling near a high quality water node.
- Localized Resources. Heartwood Trees and Geysers are great. Reduced Travel Weariness for charterstones and brimstone for matches is a wonderful thing.
- Large area of shallow water. You can get a lot of clay this way, which will be useful in making bricks for a brickwall, and later on paved roads (should you want to make them).

Out of the things I mentioned, the only thing that's really "required" is the Water Quality, the village doesn't have to directly "next" to it if you have a Knarr (or at least of time on your hands with row boats)

Every village should have at least the following:
- A farmer
- A cook
Without those two you'll probably starve or have shitty stats.

You might also want to consider having the following:
- A Un-Load Area, a place filled with plenty of space and cloth crates where people can dump off their random junk to be organized later.
- A message board. A small place (probably near the center or close to the unload area) where people can leave notes for each other or to the whole village. All you need is cloth crates and parchment (animal hide). This is useful to communicate between different play hours.
- A House of Curiosity. A house fill of curiosities to get LP. Somebody will have to make a constant stream of curiosities, and this someone will probably be you.

Once you're really settled down and things are going smoothly, you should next consider these ideas:
- Charter Stone / Magic-Gate thingy. Having quick access to other villages, friends, and market places will be very useful to getting materials you can't normally get where-ever you settled. You'll also want everyone to have their own bed so they get rid of the Travel-Weariness debuff whilst their offline. It will also be useful to have settled near a Heartwood Tree.
- Make your own Market! Assuming you have steel at this point, you are thriving, and have excess stuff, and other neighbors living nearby, why not sell back stuff to those who are not residents?
- Road systems. Both paved and teleporting.

And remember, have fun! Be creative! Make Art Work. Do Brick Art. Hold festivals. Play music. Have snowball fights. At the end of the day this is still a video game.
World 12: Quit at some point.
World 11: Community Fair Worker
World 10: Co-Founder of the Northern Kingdom, Resident of Emerald City, Founder and Mayor of the Hole of Glory, RamZ's Art Emporium at CF, Member of the CFL Rams.
World 9: Founder of SnoopVille, Resident of Emerald City
World 7: Hermit and Neighbor to a dead Korean
GamingRAM

Postby Adder1234 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:39 am

If you're starting at the beginning of the new world, a palisade and village claim is vital. If you can't make a village claim, a personal claim with all permissions works, too.
Adder1234

Postby NOOBY93 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:33 am

Dos and don'ts of making a new village instead of joining one: Do not, don't
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Postby jordancoles » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:16 am

Don't
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Sevenless » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:15 pm

Since the hard assets of running a village are established, here's the more social elements I found useful:

Somebody will have to make a constant stream of curiosities, and this someone will probably be you.

Other than jordancoles comment, which I agree with heartily, this one becomes a big stickler. Aim to provide moderate effort, long term effect curios as a village and tell everyone the spammable curios they need to make themselves. Spammable curio creation as a village leader will kill you inside.

Be reasonable with demands of for the village time vs for personal time. The village needs work, but if you burn out your hard workers (yourself included) the village will not last long. It takes a balance, the exact ratio depends a lot on your needs.

Communist villages don't usually work (those that do become super powers with the right people, but trust me you won't have that kind of playerbase), but purely capitalist villages falter as well. Make sure to keep an eye on distributed resources so that leeches can't hurt you too much. They're going to exist, rather than fight about it try to design your systems to limit how much damage they cause. Obviously if it gets too bad, kick them. But in the meantime don't let them sap too many resources before you catch on.

You will likely arbitrate a large number of disputes. It's going to suck, so be prepared for it.

Overall, running a village is rarely fun. If things go pretty well at first and you get tired of it, the enjoyment of all your ingame friends now depends on you continuing to grind. Quit and you ruin a chunk of their gameplay usually, replacement leaders are pretty rare.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Mafious » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:38 am

hermit, or join someone, villages are a pain in the ass, if you can't kick someones ass IRL don't trust him on your village. factions and other villages will fuck you up or not depending on their mood and plans in relation to your area. you should try to have good diplomatic relations with other villages factions, in case AD raids you can ask DIS for help, or the other way around. same deal with neighboring villages. good trading relations are gold, access to good q clay or water is awesome, and someone may even trade you hq seeds.
https://strawpoll.com/xh2d3zr2 if you give a fuck about mining vote on this. Make mining great again! Bring back old supports.
Mafious

Postby julian12it » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:23 am

Don't have autism, get connections, be nice and get strong.
julian12it

Next

Return to The Moot