Forming my own Village? Do's and Don't?

Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Re: Forming my own Village? Do's and Don't?

Postby cyrus9586 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:05 am

The only way I still had fun while running a village was when I had 4 or less others in the village.
Its already been touched upon but the whole you work for the village thing is a terrible idea in theory. No one wants to put in 8 hours to only get minor hand outs. I found letting people do their own thing worked out better. But still had issues of hey this needs to be done...Guess i better get to it...

Also a big mistake made by my first W9 chief. DO NOT MAKE PEOPLE BUY SHIT FROM EACH OTHER. He discouraged the "I have leather you need you have metal I need lets trade" No he wanted us each to have a barter stand then sell the items for coins to buy from the other persons stall...Problem was he never gave out many coins...

Honestly the best way to still have fun is just be a hermit with your own personal village. Invite a friend or two split the village in equal parts let them do them and you do you and if you need to trade there you go. Go barrow the cup of sugar from your neighbor.
Former proud Owner of Hoo Cudda De Cheese Factory W9.
Mad God of New Sheoth W14
CHEESE FOR EVERYONE!
cyrus9586

Postby Beezer12Washingbeard » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:11 am

Sounds like the line you should draw for yourself is basically, "has this become a second job with no pay or RL benefits"

Villages over a certain size seem to trend towards that. I agree with the folks saying to go hermit/semi-hermit.

By all means, build a village claim, because the benefits to doing so are very real (visitor debuff, stronger claim shield I think, etc)
Beezer12Washingbeard

Postby Hrenli » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:22 am

Beezer12Washingbeard wrote:visitor debuff

"Works" the same for pclaims as vclaims

stronger claim shield I think

The same 60000 points for pclaims and vclaims

Don't get me wrong, village claim has benefits even for a hermit. :) It's bigger (both in the initial size and in potential authority pool), it should prevent other village claims to be built just next to you etc. And current defense tactics seems to be having several extendable/overlapping claims, not just one.

As for running a real village - for me the only possible to think about option is to do it with people you already know and trust. With strangers? Naaah...
Too old to rock-n-roll, too young to die.
Hrenli

Postby Teleskop » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:54 am

This world i decided to set my own village,after being a hermit or a villager since w3
Baldarich wrote:Im writing this just to increase my post count xd

One time i visited Ozzy and i farted and he took a big vacuum cleaner and sucked the fart into a big container with an inhalation mask attached to it and i asked why would he need such thing and he said he likes to smell farts
Teleskop

Postby CSPAN » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:17 pm

Being a VL is stressful. It can be difficult to please everyone, and it's impossible to get everything right the first time around.
Never change fundamental aspects of your little society, unless totally necessary, after you've already set the precedent. The more lenient you are to flexibility on some of these said fundamentals will only result in more turmoil socially, so make your rules and carve them into stone.
If your village is big enough, it's good to share authority. If you are a no lifer like I was, then you'll naturally want to take over everything if its rate of improvement doesn't meet your personal desires. Imposing on other peoples "duties" will upset them, and can give them a feeling of being ineffective, making them leave or quit.
Be organized. Use google slides, graphs, and chat programs.
Set up meetings. Take criticism well.
Communicate with villagers. Naturally you're going to have favorites, other members might form small cliques. This is all natural, but always put in an effort to hear everyone's concerns.
Leechers will happen, usually in the form of players that aren't very active. Acknowledge these players behavior, and determine if you can spin their role into something as close to useful as you can. If not they have to go. If you're really feeling spicy, build a space for those players to play nearby. For example, in our village layout, we had a designated portion of the base for new villagers (for security), and a place for people who weren't resourcefully useful for the main village, in a way gates/locks prevented them from entering important parts of the village.
Give important roles to those that are most active. It might hurt peoples feelings, but if someone wants a role and can do it better/faster, give it to them. You'll notice laziness no matter how abundant, adds up. Resulting in loss of quality gain, making your village less valuable as time goes on.
The more valuable your goods are, the better your players are (debatable), and makes relations with other villages/factions easier to create.
Good natural resources go a LONG way, don't put a lot of effort into a camp if it doesn't have something worthwhile nearby, because if you're actively resource hunting, you will not stay very long.
Don't let drama (it will happen no matter what you do) consume your village, dispel it as fast as you can.
Pretend to be female.
LS of Twin Lakes BIG TRUCKS
CSPAN

Postby iamahh » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:32 pm

my hermit village was engulfed by Dis realm, but i never had trouble, only advantages from buff... granted it was not a huge bot village... botters are the only problem in HH, people with bots can do whatever they want to you... that stats thread had no ancestors chars 2 week old at 1900 STR... it's just a matter of luck, and trying to pass unnoticed by them... otherwise you're good as ded
iamahh

Previous

Return to The Moot