Somebody was stealing from me

Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Re: Somebody was stealing from me

Postby dullah » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:58 pm

I don't see any obvious flaw that could explain the robbery.
A few advices :
You should never have master keys with you or inside your claim, make an alt and securely store theses with him.
Make visitor airlocked entrances, opening towards the outside. The exterior gate is a normal one, and the interior one should be a visitor.
Replace your locks asap with a new lock/mastery key pair, throw your exisiting ones.

There could be only 2 things happenning that coudl explain the theft, in both cases, you don't have enough perception * int to see the scents (make sure you are tracking scents in the toggle menu) :
- you lost a copy of your master key, someone came in and robbed you
- you let the gates openened, that can happen sometimes.
dullah

Postby longfeather » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:00 pm

A slave key can only open the gate from the inside. Meaning if you drop it or die with it outside of your base, players cannot use it to get in. If you can open a gate from the outside of the base with a slavekey, then either there is no lock on that gate or it is facing the wrong direction. If it falls inside the base, then it is facing the wrong way.
longfeather

Postby Veliaf » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:02 pm

Kaios wrote:
Veliaf wrote:The point being that I never made slave keys. Probably shouldn't in a case of more security, but they weren't made and the Master Keys I have for both of them.

Yeah that’s quite the risk carrying around the master keys which is why you need the airlock with gates that open both outward and inward so only a slave key is required. After applying a new lock to a gate right click the master key on to all your other locks before applying them so you end up with only one master key instead of multiple. A master key opens a gate from either side regardless of which way it opens plus can be used to replicate or change locks so you should be very careful not to let the master get stolen.

I would still try opening your gates without any key in your inventory to ensure they are both locked.

Well I know about if it has multiple, that's why I name them, but I've made very sure, that both gates had locks in them, before I put the new ones.
Veliaf

Postby Veliaf » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:07 pm

dullah wrote:I don't see any obvious flaw that could explain the robbery.
A few advices :
You should never have master keys with you or inside your claim, make an alt and securely store theses with him.
Make visitor airlocked entrances, opening towards the outside. The exterior gate is a normal one, and the interior one should be a visitor.
Replace your locks asap with a new lock/mastery key pair, throw your exisiting ones.

There could be only 2 things happenning that coudl explain the theft, in both cases, you don't have enough perception * int to see the scents (make sure you are tracking scents in the toggle menu) :
- you lost a copy of your master key, someone came in and robbed you
- you let the gates openened, that can happen sometimes.

Well I know that I have tracking turned on and I see nothing. Even with 29 perception and 36 intelligence. Like I said, I know about the whole airlock and slave key thing, but I didn't want to bother to do it now.
Veliaf

Postby SmackMcBacon » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:21 pm

Either you or your friend forgot to close the gate, that's how you got robbed.
SmackMcBacon

Postby Veliaf » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:26 pm

Well I'm preettty sure the gates weren't left open at all. Tho earlier on this forum someone said that I was supposedly claiming Heart of Woods, which is a very lucky guess to be honest.
Veliaf

Postby SmackMcBacon » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:28 pm

Veliaf wrote:Well I'm preettty sure the gates weren't left open at all..

And I'm pretty sure they were.
SmackMcBacon

Postby Veliaf » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:31 pm

Well regardless if I somehow left the gate open, somebody still stole from me with Trespassing skill on my claim, to pettily steal leather and such from me, which was poor quality.
Veliaf

Postby dullah » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:31 pm

well it's sad, there must be some human error but god knows who and what.
If you are on Western continent, feel free to PM me and i'll try to replace some of the stuff which was stolen.
dullah

Postby Haho9 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:13 pm

Veliaf wrote:Image

Well here's the base. As I've explained before, the claim doesn't go up to the Heart, all gates have locks, no visitor gates and all Hearth Fires belong to me, my friend and my alt. My friend hasn't played and I've asked him and trust him with the keys, still with him (He's too dumb to be able to make new ones, introduced him to the game).

You can quite clearly see that your gate to the outside opens inward (EDIT) my bad, its backwards. The garden gate opens inward. point still stands though, as the garden is not palisaded (/EDIT). Someone with a slave key can gain access easily. Both gates need to be positioned like the gate to your garden area. I would suggest alt-vaulting all valuables/ items you don't want stolen until you can either bash and rebuild the gate properly, or encircle your base with another palisade layer with the gates properly built.
Haho9

PreviousNext

Return to The Moot