Bratwurst and Bier Chronicles

Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Bratwurst and Bier Chronicles

Postby kill5link » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:42 pm

This is a topic about the tales of the German thieving crew.

We play the game as we did in every world, by journeying the world and taking stuff. We are what you might call professionals at what we do.
Unlike factions or some other groups, we don't openly attack bases to get in, but rather use our wits to pay attention to our surroundings and exploit the weakspots that other people leave in their bases.
This means that in the best case scenarios, the victims never realize we were there. Almost impossible to do nowadays because of so many reasons.
I am going to share some of the biggest mistakes people make at the end of this post, since people have become very laid back on security of their bases with every world since Haven turned to Hafen...

This playstyle requires a certain amount of discretion as people of all kinds don't take kindly to this profession, from the average joe to the big factions. : )
Typically in previous worlds we used to transport stolen goods to an intermediary base until the scents on the goods wore off, so that a connection to the actual perpetrators could not be made.
This time around though, there is not as much of a need, due to how sieging "works". Bad reputation means nothing since we never had a reputation among the community anyway, like ghosts we just mostly never existed on the radar and tried to stay away from anything that draws attention. We decided to show off some of our loot and share some of the happenings now.

We've traveled around the world a bit within our month of playtime and ended up in some curious and cool places.

Tymas seems to have hired someone to pave some art. Very nice : )

We've always made a habit of collecting trophies. Anything funny we found in bases or some piece of history made for a nice trophy. Here are parchments we found in some bases.

After just a few undertakings, as it always is, our base quickly got stuffed to the point where you don't know where to put all the stuff.

Here are some of the interiors. Absolutely nothing you see were crafted by us : )

Glowing ambers are best for display cases.

Of course the game is not just about looting bases. This world we even finished some dungeons

and found that luring wolf packs to animals you want to hunt is a neat noob-hunting way for next worlds.

There was a funny encounter with some attackers. While I studied my claim on another character, the pali became bashable despite being "active", so the attackers bashed the pali and one of the houses.
They seemed more interested in the exquisite chests than in me, so I was able to escape.

And these last images says more than i can write here. We also documented our journey on some parchments this time. As a bonus, we figured for the first time we'd try to actively siege a base and see how it goes. Everyone but me lost interest in the siege after a few days and I was the only one left still trying to get in : )

Remember kids, crime doesn't pay :D

My cool winter siege outfit.

As promised, here are the top mistakes ppl made with their bases.

• Using hills as pali-replacement. Anyone can just jump into your base over the hill.
  • Building mineholes into houses. Never ends well. You either forget to secure inside the mine or around the house. Always.
  • Building several floors of mineholes deep, but skip the securing of 1 floor because no natural cave gallery leads to your MH...anyone can just build their MH next to yours or chip a bit. It's not a big effort for the attacker.
  • Building minehole in your base without a wall and visitor gate. Usually when there is no natural cave nearby. Eventually there will be a cave though...and even if not, a MH on floor 1 doesn't cost much.
  • Instead of building a pali and then build the brick outside/inside of the pali, you decide to bash your pali to build the brick exactly where the pali was. Very bad idea. Time-consuming, you can't control cascading of pali and so many things out of your control.
  • Not claiming your entire plot, especially the walls. You will not get notified when sieged and you won't be able to track who bashed your wall in.
  • Building a too large base! You don't need it. The bigger your base, the higher the chance you will not check on every corner of the base for an attack. Even worse with several floors.
  • Hanging up your keys inside of your base. Dumbest tip I've ever seen in the guides, coles must have deliberately gave bad advice to make ppl easier to steal from. Anything that's of value especially keys should always be vaulted on your characters, so that even if someone breaks into your base you dont lose all your bases and ships. There was even 1 base that had their key in a house and the pali only came after the house...
  • Leaving your visitor gates open while not claiming all your base. If you forget to claim EVERYTHING in your base, just 1 unclaimed tile in your base and anyone can get the visitor debuff off. Your visitor gates become useless.
  • Leaving valuable stuff outside your walls, like some silly bait trap. You wouldn't believe the stuff people leave outside their walls for anyone to take, from rings to dragon helmets

I'm sure some botters will whine about how it's the end of the world so nobody cares about their in-game stuff anymore anyway, but it's the other way around.
Exactly because the world has been going for a while now, will actual players come out to play the game actively.
This is because the botters have finished with their childish little feuds. And (as in every world) they stop playing around this time because they get bored.
The perfect time for real players to play the game as it's intended to because most of the cheaters are gone.

I hope you enjoyed the tale for what it's worth. Just as it was the first time our group shared its story on here, it might also be the last time.
This is an outstanding case where we wanted to show off our exploits for once. We've done other crazy cues in earlier worlds that we never shared and we felt that this time it'd be a waste not to share some.
kill5link

Re: Bratwurst and Bier Chronicles

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:08 pm

Thanks for the great post and the great tips. A couple of these points amaze me, especially about the part about using cliffs. I'm amazed people still have not noticed you can climb cliffs This was a legacy issue, too, because people would bug through gaps in the palisade and cliff. I'm also surprised about people not walling up and extending their claims underground.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Sollar » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:17 pm

Felix must be the only one still playing the game ...
Sollar

Postby Lyrroth » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:01 pm

• Using hills as pali-replacement. Anyone can just jump into your base over the hill.
  • Building mineholes into houses. Never ends well. You either forget to secure inside the mine or around the house. Always.
  • Building several floors of mineholes deep, but skip the securing of 1 floor because no natural cave gallery leads to your MH...anyone can just build their MH next to yours or chip a bit. It's not a big effort for the attacker.
  • Building minehole in your base without a wall and visitor gate. Usually when there is no natural cave nearby. Eventually there will be a cave though...and even if not, a MH on floor 1 doesn't cost much.
  • Instead of building a pali and then build the brick outside/inside of the pali, you decide to bash your pali to build the brick exactly where the pali was. Very bad idea. Time-consuming, you can't control cascading of pali and so many things out of your control.
  • Not claiming your entire plot, especially the walls. You will not get notified when sieged and you won't be able to track who bashed your wall in.
  • Building a too large base! You don't need it. The bigger your base, the higher the chance you will not check on every corner of the base for an attack. Even worse with several floors.
  • Hanging up your keys inside of your base. Dumbest tip I've ever seen in the guides, coles must have deliberately gave bad advice to make ppl easier to steal from. Anything that's of value especially keys should always be vaulted on your characters, so that even if someone breaks into your base you dont lose all your bases and ships. There was even 1 base that had their key in a house and the pali only came after the house...
  • Leaving your visitor gates open while not claiming all your base. If you forget to claim EVERYTHING in your base, just 1 unclaimed tile in your base and anyone can get the visitor debuff off. Your visitor gates become useless.
  • Leaving valuable stuff outside your walls, like some silly bait trap. You wouldn't believe the stuff people leave outside their walls for anyone to take, from rings to dragon helmets

1. legacy guys mostly doing this mistake bad old habits
2. probably noobs not pros who did not experienced pain of loss
3. 2.
4. 2.
5. it mostly comes from people who are dumb enough to be stubborn on their way of playing. countless of Times i adviced people in game not to do that and they usually reacted like a child who got their lollipop take away. it ends in two ways either they learn it hard way or quit the game. game is not at fault, they are.
6. 2.
7. true but it depends on numer of players and their activity. big places usually were crowded with people but if just one guy was left in ghost town i doubt they will shrink
8. keys on walls is considered meta gaming and a lot of people dont like metagaming regardless of how good or bad it is. and it breaks immersion for some. not done by pros
9. 2.
10. no its called people being nice. usually there is free stuff runestone or something. its done on purpouse.

dunno why you came with stupid ass botting argument here that has no relevancy for anything you said but okay. they still are there. they were persistent for world 10 and will be for world 11. you ment people who stopped playing or play with such attitidute that they dont mind your breaking in and ending their suffering.
Lyrroth

Postby kill5link » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:01 pm

Lyrroth wrote:10. no its called people being nice. usually there is free stuff runestone or something. its done on purpouse.

If that was the case, they would put it outside of a claim.
Instead of outside of their walls, but within their claim. It's just negligence.

Lyrroth wrote:dunno why you came with stupid ass botting argument here that has no relevancy for anything you said but okay. they still are there. they were persistent for world 10 and will be for world 11. you ment people who stopped playing or play with such attitidute that they dont mind your breaking in and ending their suffering.

It's relevant alright. Botters are the prevalent cancer throughout the game. The people "who stopped playing" and those botters who still play are no different in that regard.
But obviously the activity and the count of botters & bots goes down as a world progresses compared to the number of players.
kill5link

Postby borka » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:22 am

kill5link wrote:
Lyrroth wrote:10. no its called people being nice. usually there is free stuff runestone or something. its done on purpouse.

Instead of outside of their walls, but within their claim. It's just negligence.

You have neighbours you trust and want them to give stuff but they're play at different times, drop it on claim, give them rights to grab ... could be also just a wastepit ... or someone raided/took over and placed stuff to fetch later ...

kill5link wrote:within our month of playtime

You sound like someone who knows how to cheat his fun in this game ;)
Java 8 - manually downloads - good to check for actual versions url here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head Feed your head
borka

Postby iamahh » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:54 am

this is quality gameplay, I also think this is when the world is best for exploring
iamahh

Postby Lyrroth » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:43 pm

kill5link wrote:

no different people different ways of more save or unsafe free stuff left for anyone or certain people to take.
Lyrroth wrote:dunno why you came with stupid ass botting argument here that has no relevancy for anything you said but okay. they still are there. they were persistent for world 10 and will be for world 11. you ment people who stopped playing or play with such attitidute that they dont mind your breaking in and ending their suffering.

It's relevant alright. Botters are the prevalent cancer throughout the game. The people "who stopped playing" and those botters who still play are no different in that regard.
But obviously the activity and the count of botters & bots goes down as a world progresses compared to the number of players.

yeah but how can you know you robbed a hand making peasant or a botter? most of botters are persistant from start to finish or go away together with villages they work for and some arent even aware they play with a botter yet you would know that? i mean that bringing topic of bots to your topic not make it only for you to look stupid it made it also less enjoyable. theres no logical reason to bring it other than rant
Lyrroth

Postby vatas » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:53 am

Could you do a neutral and independent assessment of the security at Ocean Store?
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Return to The Moot