World 12 realms

Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Re: World 12 realms

Postby abt79 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:44 pm

Zampfeo wrote:The perception of realms could probably be improved overall. As is, most new players and even some more experienced hermits only perceive realms as some arbitrary geographic buff, not taking into account that there's actual players running it behind the scenes. Once realms get going, new players just happen to sometimes spawn in a realm and all they see is "Now entering ..." pop up every now and then. To them, realm chat seems like a game-sanctioned global chat.

This isn't C&L, so I don't want to derail, but perhaps some sort of UI that gives visitors details about the realm that makes it obvious that it's player-run like a guild and a "privilege". Or even give a new player the choice to spawn in a realm or not. Bash it into their skulls somehow that there's pros and cons to being in a realm.

I think it was World 4: my village started a "realm" before they were a thing ( we called it a kingdom ). Basically, we gave hermits and small villages "permission" to settle nearby in return for mutual protection and a local trading partners. There was a lot more interaction between our "realm" and its subjects with our little experiment. I think that's what the current iteration is missing.

To springboard off this, I do think requisite interaction between realms and their subjects is what's missing. IK we're getting currently-unknown realm changes in a few days but I hope something that encourages, say, villages to be actively part of their realms is included or added.
abt79

Postby tyrtix » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:25 pm

would be interesting to compare those data with the server population...
tyrtix

Postby wolf1000wolf » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:13 am

This whole realm thing reminds me of colonizers fighting over land while the original inhabitants suffer.

The average player / sprucecap doesn't seem to have a choice here other than moving away?
wolf1000wolf

Postby azrid » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:29 am

loftar wrote:To be sure, the issue of the realm chat is somewhat of a topic. I'd like to say that the realm chat is an optional service; that if you feel that it's mismanaged, you're no worse off than you were before realm chats were added to begin with, and that it's entirely up to the realm that owns it to manage it how they wish. However, many people (perhaps especially new players) don't seem to perceive it that way. They seem to consider the realm chat to be more a right than a privilege, and that if it doesn't work exactly like they think it should, it's a problem with the game rather than the realm they're in.

I'm not sure how to feel about that. I'm not going to add a global chat (for the same reasons that I've always stated against it), so if player perceptions about the realm chat can't be changed, perhaps we should just remove it altogether? I'd like to see how it plays out in the next world to begin with, but that's kind of where I'm at with it.

I think there is a deeper issue.
Realms and their chats have been fine as long as there are alternatives.
As soon as Pride conceded to Balders Bra the opression of noobs started.
Once there is no competition the only people left to torment are the little guys.

Globalism destroys the human spirit.
azrid

Postby MightySheep » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:37 am

the problem with realm chat is simple, if you make realm size dependent on pure autism then of course you will get realm chat moderated by autistic retards

hopefully thats already fixed in w13
MightySheep

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:39 am

"surely the venn diagram for pvpers and autistic retards has no overlap"
"surely after 3 months there will be more than one group competing for realms if it's PVP based"

"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Sevenless » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:01 pm

Not knowing how the new realm system works, knowing it's fully too late to suggest implementations before the system we know kapoofs:

The idea of small realms owned by active villages that swear fealty to larger realms seems like a way for more players to get involved. I've always wanted to be involved directly in realms, but I know that faction life optimizes the fun out of haven for me too much.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Zampfeo » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:19 pm

Sevenless wrote:Not knowing how the new realm system works, knowing it's fully too late to suggest implementations before the system we know kapoofs:

The idea of small realms owned by active villages that swear fealty to larger realms seems like a way for more players to get involved. I've always wanted to be involved directly in realms, but I know that faction life optimizes the fun out of haven for me too much.

A tiered realm system of emperors>kings>dukes>counts>barons like Crusader Kings would be quite interesting. Each with a max numbers of vassals based on charisma. Kind of like Crusader Kings. Barons being the most basic of village law speakers. Each requiring their various vassals to swear fealty (kneeling at their throne, or something) to receive authority from them and their citizens. I don't think Loftorb intends on emulating western Euro fuedalism in a pagan-themed game though.
Zampfeo

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:20 pm

Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby banok » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:51 am

Im hoping the new realm system if its fun has ways for lowly casul hermits to get involved. I dont wanna miss out if its super good, but i dont wanna be forced to group up and share my toys either

Regarding w12 its bb who dominated aka hogwarts aka odditown right? Hard to keep track

Was this just in realm or was all pvp like sieges and meteroties also dominated by this single group? Basically want a tldr of w12 without a new thread
banok

PreviousNext

Return to The Moot