World 12 realms

Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Re: World 12 realms

Postby jacob232 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:40 pm

loftar wrote:
azrid wrote:Have these to dispel your illusion.

For that one in particular, see this.

So Snuggle is trolling everyone in realm chat? I mean i personally have never cared about the botting issue. In fact the botting issue has never made me mad....only inspires me to try to learn scripting (albeit my procrastination still wins out to this day)
so this one time at band camp.............
jacob232

Postby azrid » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:56 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:It doesn't prove your point about crime alts and teleportation xd

I prefer to make my crime alts where I have study tables and curios already prebuilt. Im sure other gentlemen do as well.
The main point was also that removing exploits from the game is good and people use crime alts to play the game.
SnuggleSnail wrote:Those vandal alts were made in those safepalis, and never left for the entire life of the server.

No one was accusing you of being smart in the original thread.

Leaving in security holes to your game just because the biggest nerd doesn't use it is pretty stupid.
azrid

Postby crowe » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:21 am

jacob232 wrote:So Snuggle is trolling everyone in realm chat? I mean i personally have never cared about the botting issue. In fact the botting issue has never made me mad....only inspires me to try to learn scripting (albeit my procrastination still wins out to this day)

Doesn't really matter though its the point his chat BOTS are hurting population.
crowe

Postby Burinn » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:39 am

crowe wrote:Doesn't really matter though its the point his chat BOTS are hurting population.

Why would you tell on yourself like that.

You read "CLAY PIT BOT NUMBER 395" and think it's real? There's nothing wrong with not understanding bots or how they work, but how could you possibly fall for that. I mean come on.
sabinati wrote:do you expect me to just check the forum constantly, fuck off
Burinn

Postby Mashadar » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:52 pm

Burinn wrote:Why would you tell on yourself like that.

You read "CLAY PIT BOT NUMBER 395" and think it's real? There's nothing wrong with not understanding bots or how they work, but how could you possibly fall for that. I mean come on.

?
The issue here is that the bot (and the autobans) made realm chat unusable. What little social interaction can be derived from realm chat is usually the only thing that keeps players from quitting after the initial phase of the world. Without it, you're left with a single-player game with pointless grind and without even so much as a "save game" feature.
Mashadar

Postby loftar » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:19 pm

To be sure, the issue of the realm chat is somewhat of a topic. I'd like to say that the realm chat is an optional service; that if you feel that it's mismanaged, you're no worse off than you were before realm chats were added to begin with, and that it's entirely up to the realm that owns it to manage it how they wish. However, many people (perhaps especially new players) don't seem to perceive it that way. They seem to consider the realm chat to be more a right than a privilege, and that if it doesn't work exactly like they think it should, it's a problem with the game rather than the realm they're in.

I'm not sure how to feel about that. I'm not going to add a global chat (for the same reasons that I've always stated against it), so if player perceptions about the realm chat can't be changed, perhaps we should just remove it altogether? I'd like to see how it plays out in the next world to begin with, but that's kind of where I'm at with it.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby vatas » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:27 pm

I think in the most blatant cases players would be at least bit happier if there would simply be a way to opt-out of realm chat, if you can't type it and it's filled with bot spam.

(Other than not entering the realm.)
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby loftar » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:30 pm

vatas wrote:I think in the most blatant cases players would be at least bit happier if there would simply be a way to opt-out of realm chat, if you can't type it and it's filled with bot spam.

Perhaps, but then again, you can already opt out of it by simply not clicking on it, no?
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:51 pm

loftar wrote:I'm not going to add a global chat (for the same reasons that I've always stated against it)

It was really clear to me Balder's Bra chat pre-slowmode significantly improved the experience of the plebs. It was the first time a realm really functioned as a global chat, because it was big enough to encompass almost everybody. The chat was a pretty big part of why I wanted to be global, because I know basically everybody wants a global chat, and it upsets people a lot more to give them something they want and take it away, than never give them the thing they want.

If your concern is immersion, I think nabs tabbing out to the wiki every 10 seconds is more immersion breaking than a global chat would be, or tabbing into discord every 10 seconds as most people do. If you're concerned about needing to moderate it, I think using an account ID instead of buddy ID for it and giving people the ability to ignore accounts client side would be sufficient.

I think immersion or what have you is very important in a single-player game, but in an MMO you're supposed to play for hundreds if not thousands of hours... The social experience is simply the most important part of the game for most people. I really think supporting especially the plebs to be able to interact with each other is a big deal.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Zampfeo » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:42 pm

loftar wrote:To be sure, the issue of the realm chat is somewhat of a topic. I'd like to say that the realm chat is an optional service; that if you feel that it's mismanaged, you're no worse off than you were before realm chats were added to begin with, and that it's entirely up to the realm that owns it to manage it how they wish. However, many people (perhaps especially new players) don't seem to perceive it that way. They seem to consider the realm chat to be more a right than a privilege, and that if it doesn't work exactly like they think it should, it's a problem with the game rather than the realm they're in.

I'm not sure how to feel about that. I'm not going to add a global chat (for the same reasons that I've always stated against it), so if player perceptions about the realm chat can't be changed, perhaps we should just remove it altogether? I'd like to see how it plays out in the next world to begin with, but that's kind of where I'm at with it.

The perception of realms could probably be improved overall. As is, most new players and even some more experienced hermits only perceive realms as some arbitrary geographic buff, not taking into account that there's actual players running it behind the scenes. Once realms get going, new players just happen to sometimes spawn in a realm and all they see is "Now entering ..." pop up every now and then. To them, realm chat seems like a game-sanctioned global chat.

This isn't C&L, so I don't want to derail, but perhaps some sort of UI that gives visitors details about the realm that makes it obvious that it's player-run like a guild and a "privilege". Or even give a new player the choice to spawn in a realm or not. Bash it into their skulls somehow that there's pros and cons to being in a realm.

I think it was World 4: my village started a "realm" before they were a thing ( we called it a kingdom ). Basically, we gave hermits and small villages "permission" to settle nearby in return for mutual protection and a local trading partners. There was a lot more interaction between our "realm" and its subjects with our little experiment. I think that's what the current iteration is missing.
Zampfeo

PreviousNext

Return to The Moot