Homeless bandits run

Company of Dwarves seeking thief for dangerous mission. Find a group or village to play with here.

Re: Homeless bandits run

Postby FrankMcFuzz » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:53 am

When you commit a crime, your character stays logged in when you go offline with the red-handed debuff.

So no walls means that anyone with the scent can just walk up to you and murder you.

But I mean, you do you, my man.
FrankMcFuzz

Postby shubla » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:14 am

FrankMcFuzz wrote:When you commit a crime, your character stays logged in when you go offline with the red-handed debuff.

So no walls means that anyone with the scent can just walk up to you and murder you.

But I mean, you do you, my man.

You could have squads defending 24/7
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby honeythief » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:18 am

Would hiding on another continent, on a different cave level and inside a house that is located in said cave help?
I committed crimes before, but never tracked any since they'd eventually lead me to a palisade.
honeythief

Postby FrankMcFuzz » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:40 am

honeythief wrote:Would hiding on another continent, on a different cave level and inside a house that is located in said cave help?
I committed crimes before, but never tracked any since they'd eventually lead me to a palisade.

If you're going to the length of building a minehole to hide yourself, you might as well just use walls, since it's essentially doing the same thing but without a claim and in a cave. And wouldn't they be able to get you if they found the minehole? If you're going to have people tasked with guarding (see; real people taking time out of their lives to stand around protecting someone in a videogame who is asleep irl because you insist on a certain playstyle) then I think parts of your plan need a do-over. Where are you even going to get the knarr need to get to another continent, and if you're just going to use a snekkja, what's going to stop people hand bashing it if you refuse a claim?

At this point I think you'd get more RP value out of a settlement that didn't have a claim over it that you'd have to repair and keep watch over. Yeah it's tedious, but it doesn't sound any more tedious than the proposed playstyle.

But I hope you find enough people to go along with this, anyway.
FrankMcFuzz

Postby honeythief » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:06 am

FrankMcFuzz wrote:If you're going to the length of building a minehole to hide yourself, you might as well just use walls, since it's essentially doing the same thing but without a claim and in a cave. And wouldn't they be able to get you if they found the minehole?

Just steal a minehole!

FrankMcFuzz wrote:If you're going to have people tasked with guarding (see; real people taking time out of their lives to stand around protecting someone in a videogame who is asleep irl because you insist on a certain playstyle) then I think parts of your plan need a do-over.

That's Shubla's idea, i think he's too used to playing with bot servants :-(

FrankMcFuzz wrote:Where are you even going to get the knarr need to get to another continent, and if you're just going to use a snekkja, what's going to stop people hand bashing it if you refuse a claim?

Vortexes, basically "spread out across the world, hide in caves, and then regroup the next day".
That was my initial plan, but it seems that not having a hearth fire and being in the building/cave/burrow doesn't actually help you hide.

FrankMcFuzz wrote:At this point I think you'd get more RP value out of a settlement that didn't have a claim over it that you'd have to repair and keep watch over. Yeah it's tedious, but it doesn't sound any more tedious than the proposed playstyle.

But i don't want to RP, the idea of playing a pvp-based char that doesn't have a base is what caught my mind.

FrankMcFuzz wrote:But I hope you find enough people to go along with this, anyway.

Thank you, i'll most likely try this playstyle and then write a feedback here on the forum somewhere.
honeythief

Postby FrankMcFuzz » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:28 am

Okay. Now there are new issues with the plan:

99 times in 100, the minehole is going to be inside a base which is inside walls which is AGAINST the rules of engagement! Also, you say that like you can move mineholes lol. There aren't going to be many mineholes to level 2 that are unprotected but I wish you luck in finding one.

Also, ahmahgod vertexes (which I have called wormholes from here on lol). Best to not mess with these at all.

Wormholes aren't a 2-way hole. When you enter one, you will be sent to a wormhole, but re-entering it won't put you back out the first wormhole. You may never end up back at the first wormhole by using repeated wormhole travel.

Additionally, wormholes change destination somewhere around once every month or two. They are not reliable for raiding or trading.

Super additionally bonus mode, wormholes damage the boat. Unless you use a snekkja or knarr, you have a potential for death every time you go through one if you're using a dugout or rowboat with more than one person in it.

http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Whirlpool

Also, having no hearth means that if someone has placed an item near your spawn or anything, you won't spawn and in fact, will be forced to respawn anywhere in the world. This could be anything from an animal standing on your spawn, to a new tree, or someone has started building where you stood when you went to sleep. May not be an immediate issue but I can essentially promise this will happen to you eventually.
FrankMcFuzz

Postby honeythief » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:39 am

FrankMcFuzz wrote:Okay. Now there are new issues with the plan:
99 times in 100, the minehole is going to be inside a base which is inside walls which is AGAINST the rules of engagement! Also, you say that like you can move mineholes lol. There aren't going to be many mineholes to level 2 that are unprotected but I wish you luck in finding one.

I was joking.

FrankMcFuzz wrote:Also, ahmahgod wormholes. Best to not mess with these at all.

Wormholes aren't a 2-way hole. When you enter one, you will be sent to a wormhole, but re-entering it won't put you back out the first wormhole. You may never end up back at the first wormhole by using repeated wormhole travel.

Additionally, wormholes change destination somewhere around once every month or two. They are not reliable for raiding or trading.

Super additionally bonus mode, wormholes damage the boat. Unless you use a snekkja or perfect condition rowboat, you have a potential for death every time you go through one if you're using a dugout.[/quote]
Wormholes' damage scales with HP of your boat and amount of people that are in the boat. Basically, wormholes can't ever break your 100% intact boat, no one is holding you from fixing it after using a wormhole as well. You can indefinitely make dugouts and jump into wormholes or repair your rowboat with planks.
I believe that this world doesn't have too many wormholes, not long time ago i made ~30 jumps and only ended up in ~6-7 different places.

FrankMcFuzz wrote:Also, having no hearth means that if someone has placed an item near your spawn or anything, you won't spawn and in fact, will be forced to respawn anywhere in the world. This could be anything from an animal standing on your spawn, to a new tree, or someone has started building where you stood when you went to sleep.

That's one of the reasons to logout in caves. If no one is walking around said caves while you're trying to log in - you'll never encounter this problem. If you do, i think that you can keep teleporting around the world randomly until you get a decent location.

It sounds like you're interested, btw ;-)
honeythief

Postby FrankMcFuzz » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:18 am

I wouldn't call it interested, I would call it morbid curiosity lol.

Teleporting is fine, but doing it multiple times gives you a HHP wound.

"Hearth Burn
Too often spawn in wilderness without Hearth Fire.
Heals over time. -5 PSY, -3 INT penalty."

Not sure about the actual HHP damage, but -3 INT stacks up fast for nomads.
FrankMcFuzz

Postby Glorthan » Fri May 15, 2020 8:25 am

Looks like this went as well as could be expected.
Glorthan

Postby FrankMcFuzz » Mon May 18, 2020 6:51 am

Glorthan wrote:Looks like this went as well as could be expected.

Didn't you hear about the sprucecap 10 str/agi/con rage alt army? No?

Weird.
FrankMcFuzz

PreviousNext

Return to Dwarves & Thieves