New Map Time?

General discussion and socializing.

Re: New Map Time?

Postby Laremere » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:52 pm

I guess it all depends if they are going to implement that for the next map or not. I haven't seen them saying that it will for sure happen next reset.
Laremere

Postby Akarnael » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:10 pm

sami1337 wrote: I'd like to see the new map within a month.
I am not concerned about getting ourselves a spot. As mentioned before, there will be quite a few people wanting to live far far away. Next map is supposed to extend itself as more and more is explored.

That being said, i can't wait for rivers and nicer looking terrain.

I totally agree, river part espacially
Akarnael

Postby Peter » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:19 pm

Nice-looking randomly generated rivers could be pretty impossible...

Well, I take that back. It could hypothetically draw them, complete with shoreline, right on top of the regular map however it draws that.
But there are some serious issues nonetheless with that.

I thought we where a few more versions away from random maps...
Surprise.
Peter

Postby Raephire » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:53 pm

Claiming rocks? Rediculous. I wouldnt belong to a half assed community that is so petty.
Raephire

Postby eql » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:44 am

Peter wrote:Perhaps there should be a two day ceasefire
lame idea, first day could involve mass battles over territory, fun.
1 wrote:1: No permanent map changes can be made (no tree-chopping, no clay-digging, at very most hunting and gathering plants).

what positive affect does this have on the game world.
2 wrote:2: No permanent building (nothing other than fires, really).

refer to quote 1
no point picking the rest apart.

sandbox game shouldnt have restrictions like the ones you are suggesting.
- Adol
eql

Postby Peter » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:06 am

Huh? I meant a one-time temporary cease-fire so that people who can't be there when the server restarts don't have as large a penalty. I don't particularly think that's the best solution, just wondering what was planned.

Anyway, that wasn't the main point of my post. I'm just curious how restarts are handled and what the time-table looks like for it.
Surprise.
Peter

Postby Malicus » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:11 am

Hrm, okay, but the reason people think it's not a good idea is because it would basically make it as if the map had restarted two days later than the planned date. It's more likely to be detrimental (because they cannot make THAT date, maybe) or annoying to any given person than it is beneficial.
Malicus

Postby theTrav » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:28 am

I'm pretty sure I can see what you're aiming for there and I'm pretty sure I think it's a terrible idea. I'm also fairly certain that the dev's aren't going to put in extra effort to make the players more constrained when they could be doing fun stuff instead.

last I read Jorb was saying that while he was looking forward to the reset it was a fair while off. I doubt they'll do it before destructables, and probably not until they've nutted out pathing and auto generated maps as well.
I also think they've more or less confirmed that next map reset you will be able to make your own mines, but they won't yield decent resources unless they're in the right position (finding those positions will likely be a mini-game similar to tracking/dowsing)
theTrav

Postby loftar » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:46 am

To clear up some things:

* There isn't any coding at all required for making a new map; I could do it in five minutes if I wanted to. The reason for us wanting to make a new map is because we want to implement some new terrain features in the map generator (which remain undetermined as of yet), and I guess it wouldn't be appreciated if we changed the map before those are implemented "just because we could".
* Fog of war and endless map extension are features orthogonal to the new terrain features. We wouldn't need to make a new map to implement that, and therefore, they might make it into the game either before or after the next map swipe.
* There's no time-table for anything right now. Basically, Jorb and I get together every now and then to code, and decide (arbitrarily) at the time what we're going to do. :)
* There will most likely not be any ceasefire. We'll probably warn on the forums a few days ahead of time, though, to allow people to stick their favorite tools in their inventories to be carried on into the brave new world. We might post a partial map of it as well, to let you preview the world; we'll see about that.
* There seems to be a misconception that the current map is not completely randomly and procedurally generated. That is not true.

With that out of the way, I'm also looking forward to it. If we managed to do it right, some of the new terrain features are going to be quite cool. :)
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby theTrav » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:00 am

loftar wrote: * There seems to be a misconception that the current map is not completely randomly and procedurally generated. That is not true.

Yeah but you've annotated it fairly heavily right?
I've seen a number 3 lake near bottleneck, I've seen what look to be some straight lines of claypits, I've also noticed some crop distribution patterns that look a little as though jorb has seen a forest that looks a little like a cellular beasty and decided to give it eyes...
theTrav

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar