mailbox? what about a postoffice?

General discussion and socializing.

Re: mailbox? what about a postoffice?

Postby Phalene » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:53 pm

Hm, I'd been wandering around making post boxes for people. No reason why both can't co-exist, though!
Phalene

Postby Ferinex » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:11 am

I think what would work best is this:

Every community has a designated postal person(s). You write your letter, and give it to a postal person when they are online. The postal person then organizes the letters and delivers them (perhaps every other day, or taking turns with other people). When one postal person arrives in another town they either give the letters to the postal people there for delivery to their recipient; or directly give them to the recipient. The postal person can then log out at the end of their journey and be instantly teleported back to their starting town (maybe even taking an inventory full of letters with them).

No post office is really needed.

I think the key thing here is never leaving the letters unattended. If you leave them in an urn or chest, something bad is GOING to happen. Someone will steal them, or walk off with the urns/chests. People can not be there to monitor the PO 24/7, and therefore it will not work. As long as they are either in the author's, postman's, or recipients inventories/wagons, they are as safe as they are going to get.
i guess they never miss huh
Ferinex

Postby sami1337 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:02 pm

Ferinex wrote:I think what would work best is this:

Every community has a designated postal person(s). You write your letter, and give it to a postal person when they are online. The postal person then organizes the letters and delivers them (perhaps every other day, or taking turns with other people). When one postal person arrives in another town they either give the letters to the postal people there for delivery to their recipient; or directly give them to the recipient. The postal person can then log out at the end of their journey and be instantly teleported back to their starting town (maybe even taking an inventory full of letters with them).

No post office is really needed.

I think the key thing here is never leaving the letters unattended. If you leave them in an urn or chest, something bad is GOING to happen. Someone will steal them, or walk off with the urns/chests. People can not be there to monitor the PO 24/7, and therefore it will not work. As long as they are either in the author's, postman's, or recipients inventories/wagons, they are as safe as they are going to get.

If you do that every town needs a dedicated person for brining mail..Which is not going to happen. Hence the offices.
The ones who see things differently.

You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them.
And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
sami1337

Postby Potjeh » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:20 pm

I think that a single postman is enough for the whole world right now. I'd do it myself, but I can't get my character to look like Kevin Costner :P
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby sami1337 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:35 pm

A single postman..haha anyone taking up that task.. :geek:

You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them.
sami1337

Postby Potjeh » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:34 pm

If it paid well enough, it'd be a perfect job for someone that likes to travel a lot.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Ferinex » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:53 pm

sami1337 wrote:If you do that every town needs a dedicated person for brining mail..Which is not going to happen. Hence the offices.

Why can't that happen? It doesn't take longer than like 15-20 minutes to travel from the great northern forest down to laketown by road.
i guess they never miss huh
Ferinex

Postby Jfloyd » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:57 pm

It'd also encourage city to city trade more often, because if you have to run to a city to get your mail, you might as well get other supplies as well.
"When I grow up, I want to be just like Kaka" -James Floyd, on growing up.
Jfloyd

Postby Krantarin » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:15 pm

I suppose we'd pay on delivery? I mean, perhaps it would be a required wrought iron coin or two, plus a bit more as a tip at the senders' discretion.
A Lurker from the days when Laketown was on the frontier and Bottleneck was the military superpower.
Krantarin

Postby sami1337 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:37 pm

Ferinex wrote:
sami1337 wrote:If you do that every town needs a dedicated person for brining mail..Which is not going to happen. Hence the offices.

Why can't that happen? It doesn't take longer than like 15-20 minutes to travel from the great northern forest down to laketown by road.

Yeah although it's "just" a 5minute walk. I would rather do something useful like hunting. Which is why i like the post office idea. Short walk for the sender to the office. A not too long walk from office to office. And picking up mail is a short walk as well.

sami1337

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar