New Map Time?

General discussion and socializing.

New Map Time?

Postby Peter » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:42 pm

While I'm quite pleased with my distant settlement, I realize that the current world is getting a little crowded and exhausted; there are no unclaimed rocks or trees within an hour's walk of the ROG. And there are only two wild plants, and so many stumps...

How often will the world be made anew?
What happens when it is refreshed? I know that the first thing that will happen is several hundred old hands logging on and immediately conquering the immediate area of the ring, fighting over closeby settling places and trees...

Perhaps there should be a two day ceasefire, whereby:
1: No permanent map changes can be made (no tree-chopping, no clay-digging, at very most hunting and gathering plants).
2: No permanent building (nothing other than fires, really).
3: Hearthfires are free; potentially food is as well.
4: Some crafting is OK, (chipped stone and branches are free, and axes can be made if not really used for much).
5: HHP damage is off, SHP is on.

During this time, everybody has a chance to log on and find a place, talk, see where others have settled and join friends, and even fight to some extent. Then, when the ceasefire ends, the settlement can begin in earnest.

So, I'm not really saying that the world needs to be reset, more of wondering how it will be handled. On a side note, what will have to be done (in terms of coding) for the new world to be made?
Surprise.
Peter

Re: New Map Time?

Postby Potjeh » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:48 pm

I'm not so sure that people will fight for real estate around RoB. I know that I will try to get as far away from it as possible, and I have a hunch that most residents of Bottleneck will do the same.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby shockedfrog » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:54 pm

I don't think this kind of ceasefire/nerfed game is a good idea, I think people will want to just get straight into the normal building and fighting and arguing. :) However, assuming the world will be expanding a bit, it might be nice to have a (small) number of different starting locations instead of everyone starting in the absolute middle and moving out.
shockedfrog

Postby Peter » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:56 pm

I suppose you're right, Potjeh; so what about anywhere that looks like a good place to settle? Like, a spot with a stream and forest somewhere near a swamp? How do you prevent time-zone related unfairness?
One way or annother, a way to prevent land rushes would be a good idea.

EDIT:
Forgot to ask; what happens to LP from chars? Do they just get teleported to the new world? Do you get a full refund? Do they die, and you get a refund based on the Change\tradition slider? Do you start from scratch?
Last edited by Peter on Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surprise.
Peter

Postby Potjeh » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:58 pm

Frankly, I think land rushes will be great fun. It'll be like the old West. So what if somebody claimed a piece of land you had your eyes on? In wilderness, might makes right.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby shockedfrog » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:00 pm

There are going to be plenty of good-enough places. If someone else gets a place you really want first, then you have to live without it, or somehow convince them to let you have it.
shockedfrog

Postby Malicus » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:21 pm

I -would- like to see a map reset sometime, but I don't want it to be until the normal means of creating a mine is implemented. That way, if I decide I don't like a place, I can just move somewhere else without bothering the devs.

Also, I think the ceasefire is a bad idea. Only the new players will want to settle near the RoB. I expect that the experienced ones will want to get as far away as they can handle.
Malicus

Postby sami1337 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:29 pm

I'd like to see the new map within a month.
I am not concerned about getting ourselves a spot. As mentioned before, there will be quite a few people wanting to live far far away. Next map is supposed to extend itself as more and more is explored.

That being said, i can't wait for rivers and nicer looking terrain.
The ones who see things differently.

You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them.
And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
sami1337

Postby Laremere » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:44 pm

I think that it wouldn't be a problem for the devs to post a map of the world before they turn it on. If that happens, people can talk about where they want to go.
Laremere

Postby sami1337 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:47 pm

Laremere wrote:I think that it wouldn't be a problem for the devs to post a map of the world before they turn it on. If that happens, people can talk about where they want to go.

No because if i am not mistaken the next map will feature fog of war and a map system with exploration. That and an "endless" generated map.
The ones who see things differently.

You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them.
And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
sami1337

Next

Return to The Inn of Brodgar