Mail Boxes

General discussion and socializing.

Mail Boxes

Postby Dondy » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:39 am

Someone left a note for me in my house which I didn't find for days. I knew what I had in that basket. Why would I look in it? So I didn't find the note requesting flax seeds for ages. This was disappointing. (The debacle surrounding the delivery of the flax seeds is another story. It involves getting lost, finally finding his farm, tresspassing and losing 8 hit points to find a basket to the put the seeds in and still not knowing if he every got the delivery which was probably much later than he needed it anyway.)

Another time I also went up to a different neighbour's house and left him a note in a basket in the middle of his road. I didn't know his name so I couldn't pm him and every time I wandered up to his camp he wasn't there. I think we come from different time zones. Three days later the basket I left with the note was still there and there had been no visible effort to reply, so I gave up and retrieved my letter.

Some of us have set up a system of mailboxes where we have an urn just in front of our houses to the left of the door. These are in unclaimed territory so you don't need the "Theft" skill to access them, and we are using these for mailboxes to leave each other notes such as when we are not logged on at the same time.

Rural mail delivery service has begun.
Dondy

Re: Mail Boxes

Postby ybobjoe » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:53 am

Heh not a bad idea
ybobjoe

Postby Onionfighter » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:00 am

I created one a couple days ago, though I am not sure anyone has noticed. Perhaps if there was a standard layout for mailboxes. Mine is an urn with parchment inside. Flowers are planted around the urn, sort of like this:

_ *_
* u *
_ *_

* - flowers
u - urn
_ -grass
Cheerleader
Onionfighter

Postby Peter » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:59 pm

Sounds good. I imagine a cart with baskets of parchment and small parcels driving around to deliver them... though things like the recent bandit attacks will make this tougher.
Surprise.
Peter

Postby sami1337 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:51 pm

I thought of making our own mail box too, but something you can't move would be nice.
The ones who see things differently.

You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them.
And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
sami1337

Postby Subway » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:05 pm

sami1337 wrote: I thought of making our own mail box too, but something you can't move would be nice.

Heh, make a Owen and a runestone next to it saying "<--- Put mail here"
The sausagemaker!
Subway

Postby Peter » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:08 pm

Yeah... Note that a runestone with your name by an urn would be best. If it's inside a claim and the mailman is kin, then all the better.
Surprise.
Peter

Postby Vattic » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:14 pm

I have an urn by the road going into my claim, its got a note in it saying its my mail box :P.
Vattic

Postby sami1337 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:55 pm

Subway wrote:
sami1337 wrote: I thought of making our own mail box too, but something you can't move would be nice.

Heh, make a Owen and a runestone next to it saying "<--- Put mail here"

What's an owen? Oven? Can't put anything but dough stuff in there.
The ones who see things differently.

You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them.
And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
sami1337

Postby Peter » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:03 pm

Don't you know? It's the latest fad amoungst the wealthy to pay a guy named Owen to stand around all day and collect you mail...
Surprise.
Peter

Next

Return to The Inn of Brodgar