Total destruction

Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Total destruction

Postby Zarpen » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:19 pm

Do people regularly just destroy everything anybody creates here?
I was quite surprised when I started a few days ago (mind you I have no idea what I'm doing total noob) after I saw Nook's stream on this game and it looked fun but, ... now I'm not sure or did I miss some rule why this ok
Zarpen

Re: Total destruction

Postby MrBunzy » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:28 pm

The weak will always be at the mercy of the strong.
(once and futue king btw)
MrBunzy

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:29 pm

It's an open-world sandbox game. It's an open PvP game. Here's the link to the official statement: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44710#p581073

edit: Just to note: Haven can be a very beautiful game, but at the same time it is a very brutal game. Sometimes players get lucky and their first experience is the interesting part of the game, sometimes they get unlucky and they run into the ugly part of the game. This is true of new players and the vets. The only advantage the vets have is recognizing a bad situation before it gets to the ugliest stages.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby VDZ » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:30 pm

Mechanics exist to deter vandals from destroying your stuff. If you have an active claim, only players with the appropriate crime skills can steal/wreck stuff, and doing so will leave crime scents which can be tracked to find the perpetrator. It also applies a temporary debuff to them that prevents them from doing certain things (most notably they can't just teleport home immediately after committing crimes); this further dissuades them from committing crimes unless the result is worth it. Once you have a palisade up and it's dried, people will need to siege you to vandalize/steal your stuff, which is a massive hassle and people will only do it if they really hate you (e.g. you stole/wrecked their stuff) or you have very valuable stuff (which you won't).

As for why it's designed like this, the developers posted a stickied thread in The Inn of Brodgar detailing the reasons. It's worth a read as it's a very different perspective from what most games go for.
VDZ

Postby hazzor » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:35 pm

it's worth knowing that your content is the open world survival, a lot of other folk's content is you guys.
Oh boy, here I go cheesemaking again...
hazzor

Postby sMartins » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:15 pm

Also decay Is a thing without a claim to prevent It.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby ogey » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:05 pm

Some people will. Meet your neighbors early and chat a bit to get a feel for what they're like. Not only will you be more at ease, you'll possibly gain allies or trading partners. As a sprucecap with little wealth, you will generally be left alone unless you settle too close to other people or things that they want to use themselves but some are just plain evil which is why it's a good idea to get to know the people who live in the area before you decide to throw down a claim.
ogey

Postby Zarpen » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:06 pm

I'm sorry I'm really new to this game ... I discovered the claim but it said something like it needs 1 day before it is active so I logged out before it was active ... I didn't know that 1 log cabin and 6 planted trees were so valuable to someone ... I'm just disappointed that's all ...
by the way thank you all for the pointers and advice I'll try to read the tips
Zarpen

Postby lwdragon » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:18 pm

Can be that you started your hermitage too close to some big village, and they think you are threat, or just dont want neighbors. But anyway this game full of griefers, so dont be surprised when such things happen.
lwdragon

Postby Zarpen » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:24 pm

I do recognize my folly in starting this thread ... anyway I do invite anyone who meets me to say hi and stop by for an apple and if I do block your grand design please let me know by placing a sign or talking to me ... I strive to be reasonable
sorry for the drama ...
Zarpen

Next

Return to The Moot