Will this game ...

Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Re: Will this game ...

Postby Flameturtle » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:12 pm

sircamel wrote: stuff

I just wanted to say, this is great.
Flamturtle's Haven & Hearth 2.0 Combat Guide! http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40466 - Remade for its 5th Anniversary!
PM to Contact.
Flameturtle

Postby Southpaw » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:18 pm

sircamel wrote:
razfen wrote:The weak will always be at the mercy of the strong.

You are literally writing this as a semi-intelligent person on a burning planet destroyed by nonsense employment. Inhabited by billions of impoverished people. Your very biosphere and society are collapsing and global panic will set in very soon.

But little "razfen" is posting big words on a forum of a virtual game world.

You deserve a medal for your intellectual capacity and your sense of existential humor. :P

Just an interesting observation from a person that loves to observe subcultures. ;-)

what the fuck is this weird sociopath shit

get less stupid, stupid.
jaws hat enthusiast, entrepreneur, avid appreciator of the arts
Southpaw

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:33 pm

ITT: Pseudo-intellectualism gets one-uped by psuedo-psuedo-intellectualism.

@original author: does such a game exist that has open world pvp and no random ganking?
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby razfen » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:27 pm

sircamel wrote:

You are literally writing this as a semi-intelligent person on a burning planet destroyed by nonsense employment. Inhabited by billions of impoverished people. Your very biosphere and society are collapsing and global panic will set in very soon.

You deserve a medal for your intellectual capacity and your sense of existential humor. :P

Just an interesting observation from a person that loves to observe subcultures. ;-)

Okay snail, i get it, i stole your group's line, you can stop sockpuppetting now.
MagicManICT wrote:Not really any purpose of this thread other than to get a simple answer that some of you special children don't seem to know how to give. Everyone's got to be a fukkin comedian....
razfen

Postby Southpaw » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:42 pm

razfen wrote:Okay snail, i get it, i stole your group's line, you can stop sockpuppetting now.

The weak will always be at the mercy of the forum shitpost.
jaws hat enthusiast, entrepreneur, avid appreciator of the arts
Southpaw

Postby Zeler » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:49 pm

die noobs dieeeee
Zeler

Postby Audiosmurf » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:06 pm

sircamel wrote:

Der Carebear
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby Virs » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:44 pm

At least you know where you belong, razpedal.
Virs

Postby Zampfeo » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:57 pm

MagicManICT wrote:@original author: does such a game exist that has open world pvp and no random ganking?

It depends on your definition of random I guess. There's plenty of open world pvp games which discourage kill-on-sight gameplay. Even Haven does it to an extent. When you gank in Haven, you're committing to a short period where you cannot teleport. There's the scent and nidbane system as well, but those are pretty inconsequential in the current iteration of the game. Other games operate on a flag system where PVPers get a red flag which prevent access to some things like certain cities. Eve has its bounty system and high-sec zones. Most open world pvp games use some combination of the two and have a varying degree of kill-on-sight gameplay. These things culminate into some sort of balance between a PVPer's incentive to gank and the loss that the ganked person receives from it, because that is also important to this discussion. I.e. kill-on-sight gameplay is not so bad if the loss on death is not so bad like in Runescape's Wilderness.

This balance in haven is quite extreme because there is nothing stopping a semi-established player from completely wiping any spruce cap without a dry palisade aside from a ~1 hour window where they cannot teleport. Worst case scenario, 4 days of a spruce cap setting a claim, collecting and drying hides, tanning, and starting their palisade can be flushed down the drain in just 30m and the only thing stopping it from happening is the mercy of other players or their inability to find the spruce cap. This experience improves once a player can secure their hearthfire, production infrastructure, and bury their own bodies(though, there's still the possibility of especially devious gankers bashing your body).

From an accessibility point of view, this is pretty terrible gameplay, but I don't get the impression that Loftar or Jorb care about that, so it's meaningless to discuss how this gameplay experience could be "improved".

sircamel wrote:... ever evolve beyond people randomly killing people? I played for 4 days as a hermit, explored the map looking for bones and 3 players just killed me out of the blue, without saying a word and threw my body into the river. But it really helps with only playing this for 3 days every world. :P See you in 2022!

For better or for worse, your first week will be the most dangerous. Once you get your palisade, you can start playing farmville like everyone else. I'd give it another go, else you'll be doomed to repeat this cycle every world. A few tips .. go somewhere where there are no big village, swamps, or mountains, find a dead end cave, place your hearthfire here, block the cave entrance with a claim, tan enough leather for a palisade, place another claim where you want to settle, and build your palisade once it's claimed. Then pray no one comes to bash it for the next 24 hours.
Zampfeo

Postby VDZ » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:49 pm

Zampfeo wrote:block the cave entrance with a claim

A claim at the entrance is a dead giveaway that there's something to loot/grief in there. Get an active claim on the inside of the cave first (out of sight from the entrance), and only once that's active and you have a locked fence (so people will have to commit vandalism to even see if there's anything worth stealing) should you try to claim the outside of the cave. (Also, until you claim it, do not leave any objects or items near the entrance, either outside or inside. Make it seem like a normal, natural cave nobody is interested in.)
VDZ

PreviousNext

Return to The Moot