Alas, My Gentle Quince Tree

Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Alas, My Gentle Quince Tree

Postby DoverianDragoon » Sun May 09, 2021 11:52 pm

So, I guess I understand why chopping down quest trees and chipping quest stones is a thing for those that actively pvp (or just want to troll, I guess). But still... my poor quest quince. What did she ever do to deserve this murder? Many a time I'd head out to greet her at some other trees behest, or bring her some squirrel, or raid an anthill for her and then come back to tell her of my adventures while eating one of her fruits and resting in her shade.

And now... now, she is gone. Her voice, once a gentle whisper on the wind, shall never be heard again. Hearthlings truly can be such cruel creatures.

Farewell, sister quince. I'll plant a successor where you once stood. And since your murderer left your stump and your shorn trunk behind, I'll use them to build something in your memory.
DoverianDragoon

Re: Alas, My Gentle Quince Tree

Postby ogey » Mon May 10, 2021 12:05 am

Was this quince tree in a small island in deep ocean?
ogey

Postby DoverianDragoon » Mon May 10, 2021 12:09 am

No, she grew along a forest path, though near enough to a lake shore that she could hear the swans and ducks at times.
DoverianDragoon

Postby springyb » Mon May 10, 2021 5:03 am

It could have been an accident.

It could also have been because she raised local dandelion quality 10 times in a row and people were sick of her shit.
springyb

Postby DoverianDragoon » Mon May 10, 2021 5:56 am

Oh, it was no accident. There's been a rash of questgivers getting offed in my area; my neighbors have reported several such trees chopped and stones chipped. And one of my fellow villagers had been going around and paving the 4 squares around quest trees so they were easy to find, and this darling quince was among those so respected. If I hadn't heard this then I might think it was an accident, but given that context I think it's safe to rule out accidental chopping.

I suppose if she raised the dandelion q that much I'd be pretty mad at her, too!
DoverianDragoon

Postby MagicManICT » Mon May 10, 2021 6:40 am

DoverianDragoon wrote:Oh, it was no accident. There's been a rash of questgivers getting offed in my area; my neighbors have reported several such trees chopped and stones chipped. And one of my fellow villagers had been going around and paving the 4 squares around quest trees so they were easy to find, and this darling quince was among those so respected. If I hadn't heard this then I might think it was an accident, but given that context I think it's safe to rule out accidental chopping.

I suppose if she raised the dandelion q that much I'd be pretty mad at her, too!

Lesson for today: don't make tree and rock spirits easy to spot.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby VDZ » Mon May 10, 2021 6:45 pm

DoverianDragoon wrote:And one of my fellow villagers had been going around and paving the 4 squares around quest trees so they were easy to find

So there was an accomplice on the inside?
VDZ

Postby DoverianDragoon » Tue May 11, 2021 3:38 am

MagicManICT wrote:Lesson for today: don't make tree and rock spirits easy to spot.

Yep. If you value a questgiver, hide it or guard it - though if someone wanted to go hunting for such spirits, all they'd have to do is start picking up quests in the area... every bit of deterrent helps.

VDZ wrote:So there was an accomplice on the inside?

Nah, he just hasn't played in a while and wasn't aware people did this. Once he heard about it he immediately told us to stop those to dirt if we saw them. But I didn't get to this one fast enough.
DoverianDragoon

Postby WowGain » Tue May 11, 2021 12:33 pm

there ought to be some sort of crime related to killing questgivers since it can take someone less than a few hours to potentially nuke the credos for multiple thingwall provinces of players, a massive setback which has literally no means of actually preventing or discouraging it besides that its just an asshole thing to do because it universally harms everyone with no upsides
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby ogey » Tue May 11, 2021 1:31 pm

WowGain wrote:there ought to be some sort of crime related to killing questgivers since it can take someone less than a few hours to potentially nuke the credos for multiple thingwall provinces of players, a massive setback which has literally no means of actually preventing or discouraging it besides that its just an asshole thing to do because it universally harms everyone with no upsides

The problem is that you could be chopping down a quest giver without knowing it's a quest giver. In my old base there was a pine tree that I was going to chop down when someone walked up saying they were on a quest for it. I also planted a mayflower tree nearby to later chop down but ended up receiving a quest from it.
ogey

Next

Return to The Moot