Alas, My Gentle Quince Tree

Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Re: Alas, My Gentle Quince Tree

Postby VDZ » Tue May 11, 2021 8:51 pm

WowGain wrote:there ought to be some sort of crime related to killing questgivers since it can take someone less than a few hours to [kill questgivers]

It's not that easy. You don't get your first quest until you've played for a while, and getting any additional ones after claiming your first victim costs quite a bit of XP. All in all, conscious killing of questgivers takes a lot of time unless they're marked by other players. (Furthermore, as far as I'm aware killing questgivers does not reduce the number of questgivers in the area - the spirit just moves to another tree/rock.)

ogey wrote:I also planted a mayflower tree nearby to later chop down but ended up receiving a quest from it.

Interesting, this is the first time I've heard about a player getting a quest from a planted tree.
VDZ

Postby MagicManICT » Wed May 12, 2021 1:00 am

VDZ wrote:It's not that easy. You don't get your first quest until you've played for a while, and getting any additional ones after claiming your first victim costs quite a bit of XP. All in all, conscious killing of questgivers takes a lot of time unless they're marked by other players. (Furthermore, as far as I'm aware killing questgivers does not reduce the number of questgivers in the area - the spirit just moves to another tree/rock.)

You do keep getting whispers if you have no quests, but if I understand right, the timer keeps getting longer and longer each time you abandon one. Last time I tested the timer was w10, and it took abandoning dozens of quests to lengthy it any significant time. Things have changed since then, though.

VDZ wrote:Interesting, this is the first time I've heard about a player getting a quest from a planted tree.

First time YOU'VE heard about it. ;) FWIW, jorb has hinted at this. (One wonders if a quality tree would give better quality quest rewards... :twisted:
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby The_Lich_King » Wed May 12, 2021 4:50 am

MagicManICT wrote:
VDZ wrote:It's not that easy. You don't get your first quest until you've played for a while, and getting any additional ones after claiming your first victim costs quite a bit of XP. All in all, conscious killing of questgivers takes a lot of time unless they're marked by other players. (Furthermore, as far as I'm aware killing questgivers does not reduce the number of questgivers in the area - the spirit just moves to another tree/rock.)

You do keep getting whispers if you have no quests, but if I understand right, the timer keeps getting longer and longer each time you abandon one. Last time I tested the timer was w10, and it took abandoning dozens of quests to lengthy it any significant time. Things have changed since then, though.

VDZ wrote:Interesting, this is the first time I've heard about a player getting a quest from a planted tree.

First time YOU'VE heard about it. ;) FWIW, jorb has hinted at this. (One wonders if a quality tree would give better quality quest rewards... :twisted:

Time to design a scientific experiment.

Somebody should plant a Q 10 tree, then plant the highest Q tree they can, then abandon quest givers until the two planted trees become quest givers... then compare the results.
Ysh wrote: I think you are jordancoles. You saying this for throwing off of track to make me thinking I am jordancoles.

Onep wrote: If I had to choose between drowning you and savoring every moment as your face desperately gasps for air beneath the brine or saving the planet, I'd choose you everytime.
The_Lich_King

Postby VDZ » Wed May 12, 2021 5:20 am

MagicManICT wrote:

First time YOU'VE heard about it. ;) FWIW, jorb has hinted at this.

Yes, I've heard hints and speculation, but this is the first time I've seen it actually confirmed.
VDZ

Postby mvgulik » Wed May 12, 2021 7:02 am

The_Lich_King wrote:Somebody should plant a Q 10 tree, then plant the highest Q tree they can, then abandon quest givers until the two planted trees become quest givers... then compare the results.

lol, yea. never mind all the other nearby tree's and boulders.
mvgulik

Postby WowGain » Wed May 12, 2021 10:27 am

VDZ wrote:
WowGain wrote:there ought to be some sort of crime related to killing questgivers since it can take someone less than a few hours to [kill questgivers]
It's not that easy. You don't get your first quest until you've played for a while, and getting any additional ones after claiming your first victim costs quite a bit of XP. All in all, conscious killing of questgivers takes a lot of time unless they're marked by other players. (Furthermore, as far as I'm aware killing questgivers does not reduce the number of questgivers in the area - the spirit just moves to another tree/rock.)

its piss easy
a group of about 3 people killed 20-something quest givers within 5 or 6 hours just last week in my area. It was every single quest tree within nearly 3 provinces, and none of them were marked.
it doesn't reduce the total amount but it does cause literally everyone who had a quest from that tree (including credo quests) to then fail that quest and potentially be set back on a credo as if they had abandoned.
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby ogey » Wed May 12, 2021 11:02 am

I don't know if it's relevant but the tree I planted was seed straight to the ground. I don't think using a treeplanter's pot will magically invalidate your tree from becoming a quest giver but who knows.
ogey

Postby Kolrim » Sun May 23, 2021 7:44 am

DoverianDragoon wrote:
I suppose if she raised the dandelion q that much I'd be pretty mad at her, too!

Why would dandelion q being high be a bad thing?
Kolrim

Postby mvgulik » Sun May 23, 2021 8:15 am

DoverianDragoon wrote:[Sarcasm] I suppose if she raised the dandelion q that much I'd be pretty mad at her, too! [/Sarcasm]
mvgulik

Postby DoverianDragoon » Sun May 23, 2021 8:52 am

Kolrim wrote:
DoverianDragoon wrote:
I suppose if she raised the dandelion q that much I'd be pretty mad at her, too!

Why would dandelion q being high be a bad thing?

Eh... it's not that high dandelion q would be bad. It's that there are so many quest rewards one would rather receive. But I liked this tree for her name and her location and for how often I'd be sent to see her. She was just... a nice tree.
DoverianDragoon

PreviousNext

Return to The Moot