Do 'factions' really need all these crazy bonuses?

Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Re: Do 'factions' really need all these crazy bonuses?

Postby HasseKebab » Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:21 pm

nyaanyaa wrote:... I was wondering why do the strongest people need buffs to become stronger? Yes, you can say I'm complaining that life is unfair but why is there a game element to further the gap between the haves and have-nots? This is absurd.

If you read the bottom part of the buff text you'll notice that everyone within the claim benefit from this which makes it quite fair imo.
HasseKebab

Postby Apocoreo » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:29 pm

I think the issue is realms are already have the ability to obtain the resources needed for buffs as the strongest, then the buffs make them even stronger. I don't see how the people around them getting the buff matters, it doesn't mean they're able to compete with them.

Realms will not give a shit about the little guys around them, unless there is a powergaming incentive to do so. Snail make it abundantly clear last world that basic ass bots are worth more to them than the average player.

I suggest realms be tied further to authority, or more to the point xp. They could be infinitely increasing like everything else in this damnable game, so even hermits are slowly contributing to their realm growing in strength. We may see realms competing over populations, trying to win players over, convince them to move to their realm to improve their buffs and get an edge on the foe.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:38 pm

realms bad, game would be better without them
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Sevenless » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:32 pm

Apocoreo wrote:convince them to move to their realm to improve their buffs and get an edge on the foe.

I think that was already part of the idea behind realms. It's just villages take hundreds upon hundreds of manhours to build. Hermitages dozens, but hermits tend to have more restricted playtimes anyway. It's so expensive to move most people will quit/wait for next world if they're forced to for some reason once midgame sets in.

I don't think it's a good idea to make a mechanic with the expectation that players will move home base to take advantage of it. It's too counter to the sedentary life haven encourages atm.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Apocoreo » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:58 am

Sevenless wrote:It's too counter to the sedentary life haven encourages atm.

Agreed. Perhaps in addition, if more Thingwalls are allowed to be challenged at once. Heathlings could participate more in changing or maintaining the realm that controls their province.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby ogey » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:05 pm

Sevenless wrote:
Apocoreo wrote:convince them to move to their realm to improve their buffs and get an edge on the foe.

I think that was already part of the idea behind realms. It's just villages take hundreds upon hundreds of manhours to build. Hermitages dozens, but hermits tend to have more restricted playtimes anyway. It's so expensive to move most people will quit/wait for next world if they're forced to for some reason once midgame sets in.

I don't think it's a good idea to make a mechanic with the expectation that players will move home base to take advantage of it. It's too counter to the sedentary life haven encourages atm.

Rather than encourage people to move to a realm, it could encourage factions to expand their borders over big villages in order to receive the EXP/Authority/whatever from them and obtain even better buffs. The problem that might arise from making contributions from non-faction members relevant to factions will be that continuously raiding and murdering poor saps not involved in wars but living within a rival realm's borders could become legit strategy and not just occasional dickassery.
ogey

Postby Apocoreo » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:59 am

ogey wrote: The problem that might arise from making contributions from non-faction members relevant to factions will be that continuously raiding and murdering poor saps not involved in wars but living within a rival realm's borders could become legit strategy and not just occasional dickassery.

I think the balance lies in making thing walls easier to take than a wall.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby Reiber » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:35 am

ogey wrote:
Sevenless wrote:

Rather than encourage people to move to a realm, it could encourage factions to expand their borders over big villages in order to receive the EXP/Authority/whatever from them and obtain even better buffs. The problem that might arise from making contributions from non-faction members relevant to factions will be that continuously raiding and murdering poor saps not involved in wars but living within a rival realm's borders could become legit strategy and not just occasional dickassery.

well if that creates an reason for realmowners to actually care about nurture,protect and exploit there peons that would benefit the intention behind realms aswell as more closely would mirror real world "balancing" ,

but i fear any system trying to achieve that will inevitably end in masses of dead spuces , and some authoroty botfarms
Reiber

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:31 pm

Reiber wrote:some authoroty botfarms

Been there, done that: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=51156
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Previous

Return to The Moot