Game feedback: enjoyable up until you get ganked

Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Game feedback: enjoyable up until you get ganked

Postby Mabinogion » Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:28 pm

Good bits:

Level of detail
Exploration
Slow pace
Ability to progress while offline
Fits well with a haphazard working schedule (e.g. really enjoyed foraging stints during my breaks)
One of the few complex games that would work reasonably well on my old laptop.
Was good stress relief tool... until it wasn't.

Bad bits:

Having several months worth of progress wiped off by someone who is playing the game called 'how many players I can kill before reset?', and who

- boasted reaching this high level (5k+ STR) through bots
- tried to get me to spend real cash to get a purchasable hat off me in game.

Extortion veering into real money I certainly did not appreciate. :|

Basically, unless you were in a group of veterans who powerlevelled at the start of reset to try to withstand the 'let's kill for fun because we're overpowered, bored and can' gang, you are basically screwed, especially later in the game. Any progress you make is meaningless and being a lone hermit or a new player is as useless as trying to build up a base with a group.

I was playing with 3-4 friends. None of them will be returning now, because - it is one thing to lose in a fair contest where there is actually a possibility of survival, it is another where the loss is a foregone conclusion.

From the dev point of view - I understand the reluctance to police and micromanage or to do away with the PvP and danger aspect, however, I believe as things stand there is a considerable lack of balance. I suppose I am typing this feedback in part because I appreciate the level of thought and detail they put into the game, despite current very unfortunate disbalances.

Suggestions:

I realise a separate PvE (alongside a PvP) server has been suggested and rejected in the past, but perhaps it can be revisited, with some PvE danger fine-tuning (like making nights and winters or certain areas more dangerous).

From what I have seen, plenty of people would really enjoy just crafting, building and not getting killed by dangerous beasties.

A possible alternative is non-PVP zones, but with designed slower progress or lacking certain more 'spicy' features of the PvP areas.

Making it physically impossible for players to kill one another if the difference in their stats is too vast (like 30str / 10 UC vs 5000 str / ??? UC).

Making PvP an opt-in choice once STR/CON & combat skills reach a certain minimal level.

--------------------

Anyway, even if such changes are considered, implementation is unlikely in any near future. I'll check out Project Zombiod in the meantime: from what I've seen it is a lot less deadly and ultimately futile. ;)
Mabinogion

Re: Game feedback: enjoyable up until you get ganked

Postby tegoplplpl » Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:46 pm

Maybe after months of playing you should finish your wall
tegoplplpl

Postby iamahh » Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:49 pm

yeah, game is too deep, the more you put effort in, the less pvp is attractive for casuals

surviving as a hermit is still doable, but the precautions are not obvious at all, and you still need some luck

when I join a Starblast io match, in 30 min I can mine, upgrade, choose ships, fight solo or group, thats pvp for most people, but you can't do this in haven without some special game mode or server
iamahh

Postby Mabinogion » Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:58 pm

Are you saying that gates with steel locks on would have stopped you?

Yes, I could have quit my job just so that I could spend enough time to put up a wall and gates faster, which would end up being useless anyway. You went through the steel lock of the main house in the matter of seconds. Would have been exactly same: it's all the victim's fault for being there and being weaker - the bottom line of all your arguments.

Who exactly benefits form you trying to force people to buy game hats for real money just to hand them over to you? It is not only yourself that you potentially make look bad with this. Food for thought there.
Mabinogion

Postby telum12 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:59 pm

tegoplplpl wrote:Image
Maybe after months of playing you should finish your wall

Hly shit OP you're literally retarded. You're playing an open-world pvp game where you need walls to protect your base. You got killed because you didn't have wall. You whine about losing months of progress. Building a wall takes like 30 minutes. What were you doing all those months.

This is your fault. You're not going to get any sympathy when you're this dumb.
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:03 pm

He's exploring alchemy with the angels now
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby tegoplplpl » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:07 pm

Mabinogion wrote:Are you saying that gates with steel locks on would have stopped you?

Yes, lock on palisade/brickwall (even wooden lock)is unlockpickable and when you put lock on houses/other stuff its based off your stats.Please don't make suggestions how game should be when you have no idea how it already works
tegoplplpl

Postby Mabinogion » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:30 pm

As the other poster said, this is certainly not a game for a casual or a relatively new player.

The only reason I posted at all is because I have actually enjoyed it for a while. There is no need to have a go at me for sharing my experience or even making suggestions. You are, unsurprisingly, happy with status quo, I, and probably quite a few others, think it could be improved.

I think this thread at the least should be helpful to a few future players who may read it to either put up a wall very quickly, assuming they have RL resources to invest in this, or know exactly what awaits them if they do not and have the choice to save themselves the negative experience and wasted time to begin with.

So - something positive out of the unpleasantness, one may hope.

And yeah, bot use and real money item extortion is still bad form, regardless of any other circumstance.
Mabinogion

Postby strpk0 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:49 pm

Mabinogion wrote:I think this thread at the least should be helpful to a few future players who may read it to either put up a wall very quickly, assuming they have RL resources to invest in this, or know exactly what awaits them if they do not and have the choice to save themselves the negative experience and wasted time to begin with.

My man, a palisade takes 20 minutes to set up. Put some wooden locks on the visitor gates, wait for the walls to dry and you're safe from most players as long as you don't leave a **MASSIVE GAPING HOLE** in them.
Let me assure you, even the newest player to the game atleast asks questions or figures out that walls are important on their own. This thread helps no one, and this is nothing but your own fault.

You're a delusional and stubborn moron, and I'm extremely surprised it took this long for someone to murder you.
Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

Postby WowGain » Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:35 pm

what even is the skillgap anymore at this point
knowing how to make a rectangle meta
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain