Keeping new players from quiting after kill

Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Keeping new players from quiting after kill

Postby Dr3amt » Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:59 pm

So I read the "Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong)" forum post about how wrong and dumb new players are, ehum :shock: , I mean , how to properly secure yourself. :D

No but seriously. How are new players gonna want to stick with this game if every time they fall victim to "unwanted pvp"/not property secured claim/not fully understood game mechanics/what ever you want to call it, they get to hear they are the problem? :roll: That they fucked up/are retarted/dont understand/did wrong ?

I honestly don't understand the tone here. I remember first time I was killed as a noob, it was super frustrating. But I kept playing. If I would have expressed my emotions here on the forum when that happend tho I'm not that sure I would had been continue playing. :? I mean, the majority of replies back from you guys to the new player ganks/kills I've seen are often very mocking, laughing, rude and insulting. Like calling new player "retard" or "idiot" for now even building a wall. :shock: I don't understand.

It makes me think tho.. I was streaming Haven recently and was stream sniped and killed on claim (no palisade yep) and I hate stream snipers so I did not take that very well. But the dood sniping me did something amazing. I've been stream sniped several other times in some other games (hate it, cowards, pathetic) and most of the time the sniper dont say anything on Twitch and just leave. Or they deliver one sentence, like a punch line, then leave. But this stream sniper in Haven, after he said on Twitch "take this as a lesson. you should hide your minimap" I was sure he was gonna leave. Or stay with dumber shit to say. And yeah he stayed. But he stayed quite. He listened. To my Swedish tipsy insults and salt. Without arguing back. I felt done with this world in Haven but then he started encourage me to keep playing. To not rage quit (which I was close to do). He said stuff like "keep playing", "become stronger", "not quit". Kinda lika a stream sniping Haven Yoda.

And he was right. All along. I resented his stream sniping to find me but everything he said made sense. It was super weird, but it kept me playing. I wanted to keep playing, I wanted to become stronger. Then he dumped a boar and some bigger animals next to my claim which was a bit sus .... -.- .... maybe sorry gifts .... -.- ..... idk..... -.- .... im just gonna use inspect tool ... -.- ... PLING :o Boar corpse :o Quality 200 something something ?! :o Didn't knew stuff could be that high QL :o Cool! Then he showed me a couple of end game gilding items which was lightyears better than my taproot lacings . :3

The reason why I told this is becuase this is how I wish this forum could be a little like. More listen to the clueless new players then talk back at them. Stay friendly and understanding about what they are experiencing. Help new players when they are lost and confused, salty and think the game is broken and the chances are greater for them to stick around/come back.

(Keep in mind im writing this from my view of what I've read. Everyone here does not fall into the negative new player feedback issue i want to highlight. I've a couple of very understanding and not insulting replies too <3)
Dr3amt

Re: Keeping new players from quiting after kill

Postby bumfrog » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:05 pm

Nothing could be crueler than encouraging newbies to keep playing
bumfrog
Under curfew

Postby Zentetsuken » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:23 pm

sorry but I think you must have misunderstood something, it's clear to me that you just don't understand

the problem is that you thought that this game was meant to be enjoyed by new players and that is objectively incorrect

if the game was meant to be enjoyed by new players there would be a reasonable amount of documentation on mechanics that are inherently unintuitive and that is simply not that case

this game is actually just a sandbox for jaded autistic veterans

I'm going to be honest with you, nobody even know how new people find this game, there hasn't been a dime put in to advertising in the last decade

but here you are, another retard idiot, logging in for no other reason than to be unsuspecting pvp fodder for the jaded veterans

my suggestion to you is to either quit or stick around for 5-10 years and maybe the tables will turn in your favor and one day YOU can take advantage of retard idiots who accidently stumble upon this game
Zentetsuken

Postby sMartins » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:41 pm

Good choice, good luck and have fun in the land of the hearth!
This is a wonderful game and more players deserve to know about it.
Greetings
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby DonVelD » Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:21 am

the forums might look hostile just because most of the times the op either babyrages, did something stupid and doesnt want to admit it & instead tries to suggest changes to the game he has no clue about etc etc etc, someone that is on forums for a while just gets used to threads like these being utterly cringe cause shit like this happens regularly and the reaction is almost always the same

also people like drama
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby vatas » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:02 am

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=73820

vatas wrote:https://www.havenandhearth.com/portal/about

Ctrl+F "pvp" delivers zero results. Haven has open PvP.

Ctrl+F "loot" delivers zero results. Haven is a "full loot" -game.

Ctrl+F "death" delivers zero results. Haven features permanent character death.

There's also Q&A page but it doesn't address first two points at all and only indirectly hints at the third. https://www.havenandhearth.com/portal/paq

It's almost like devs are playing a cruel joke on anyone who dares to try out the game without spending an hour to read forum guides/wiki first.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby gravesmerch » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:43 pm

I think for most newbies it feels like meaningless grief when they're killed by another player. There are no teams fighting for an objective, no wars declared, it's just random and gratuitous.

Plus you lose the fun part of your work which is building and crafting, once you're killed, you probably won't come back to your unclaimed log cabin.
gravesmerch

Postby dagrimreefah » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:20 pm

I remember a day when a sandbox mmorpg with full loot pvp was coveted and appreciated. But, that was back before the average testosterone levels dropped suddenly and significantly. Now people just want Farmville.
dagrimreefah

Postby Nightdawg » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:06 pm

dagrimreefah wrote:I remember a day when a sandbox mmorpg with full loot pvp was coveted and appreciated. But, that was back before the average testosterone levels dropped suddenly and significantly. Now people just want Farmville.

We need to frame this quote
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Zentetsuken » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:33 pm

dagrimreefah wrote:I remember a day when a sandbox mmorpg with full loot pvp was coveted and appreciated. But, that was back before the average testosterone levels dropped suddenly and significantly. Now people just want Farmville.

Legacy was coveted and appreciated for this, but then it became abandonware while the devs created Salem and Hafen 3D. It was left in such a shitty and broken state for so long that only the most furious of autists could even stand to play it.

Fast forward to today, we now have 8 years of development tacked on to what legacy was. Vast layered complexities of industry, basebuilding and farmville-centric content. Literally 100s of decorations, dozens and dozens of major updates and core mechanic changes that pushed the game away from its full loot pvp roots.

Maybe it's a fun coincidence that the birth of the mainstream femboi and gender dysphoria happened alongside this change, but the thing that has changed the most is Haven itself.

The PVP and looting aspects are ancients relics left from a game that no longer exists. They don't belong in current Haven and if you believe they do you are just a nostalgia-copium huffing veteran autist.

It's not even an edgy take, it's just sad. The oldboys club of people who still hang around for their 1 month fix of pvp are stuck here because of sunk cost fallacy, nostalgia and nothing more.

It's a shitty relic that is only left in the game because the devs are greedy and want to please the maximum amount of goldsub buyers.
Zentetsuken

Next

Return to The Moot