Re: The only world reset/wipe requests/discussion topic

Postby ducklingSand » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:37 pm

I think the easiest solution is just to make progress slower. It will keep hardcore players longer and make new players/characters are more competitive.
How to do that? Just make additional stats, numeric skills, and quality give less bonus. For example when a 160q pick axe is only twice better than 10q for mining. Same with other gear(including weapon and armor). 160q food provides only double FEP. Same with stats(str, perception) scales. It's much more realistic and closer to the real world where difference is achieved much harder. Newbies will not feel they are nothing in comparison to those who play long. It's also more interesting for hardcore players - more challenges to the game, slower progress.
ducklingSand

Postby Pills » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:25 pm

ducklingSand wrote:I think the easiest solution is just to make progress slower. It will keep hardcore players longer and make new players/characters are more competitive.
How to do that? Just make additional stats, numeric skills, and quality give less bonus. For example when a 160q pick axe is only twice better than 10q for mining. Same with other gear(including weapon and armor). 160q food provides only double FEP. Same with stats(str, perception) scales. It's much more realistic and closer to the real world where difference is achieved much harder. Newbies will not feel they are nothing in comparison to those who play long. It's also more interesting for hardcore players - more challenges to the game, slower progress.

Honestly I think most people look at the problem wrong. The problem with world longevity is the people playing the game. Though there are some mechanics that also play into it, like certain credos taking far too long or being way too "hard". The entirety of the problem lies with the community. A small handful of players who only play to ruin others peoples game. That's what kills the world. World 10 lasted so long because there were large communities bringing people together and giving people reasons to meet up and do things with others they had never met before. Like the weekend community fair events etc.

W11, 12 and now 13 have all had the same problem of nobody can be bothered trying to build anything like that because ultimately they know its pointless because a certain group of players just want to ruin everybody elses fun. And this attitude and mindset are all perfectly valid playstyles within the overall theme of the game also. That is the largest problem with worlds not having longevity in haven now, and its a problem thats impossible to solve without removing a huge key part of the games core identity.
Pills

Postby Southpaw » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:29 pm

player retention is a circular problem. the average mid-tier player i'd argue gets about two good months in, and then a couple extra less-enthused months at best, and then drops off. newbies and tryhards can go more or less indefinitely until newbies get smacked by tryhards, etc. arguably the problem shouldn't be "how do we keep people from gettng smacked and quitting" but more "how do we make people who are already playing, not experience the severe drop-off point?" and the answer to that is either a community situation (cf?) or meaningful lategame.

world 10 retained players for an incredibly long time because there was an abundance of community driven stuff fueled by a renewable "loop" (spiraling) and the absence of the renewable loop means it is no longer profitable to run a market. (HARD TO SWALLOW PILL:)the current only reason to run or participate in a market is to farm out tokens. your existence will more or less be farming out trash to appeal to scrubs to try to recirculate your coin for tokens. currently, when someone buys a q300 anvil, they are reasonably set for the rest of the world. this gives mid-tier players even less to look forward to, new players have less "shiny new things" to acquire, and top-tier players have no reason to farm a community other than to slaughter them at discretion for recreation.

alternatively, new content also serves as a carrot on a stick, with frequent updates often bolstering morale of stagnant villages, but thats a shitty unsustainable prospect because sooner or later there is no more content to jam in the game that isnt just blatant Feature Creep and then maybe jorb/lorb have to work more than a couple hours a day on average.

fixing the player retention/world longevity problem is basically impossible given the current circumstances of everything, and there is no actual solution that has been proposed that i can personally see retaining people. i think some suggestions put forth should AT LEAST be given a shot, but this is already too long of a write-up on an inconsequential topic.
jaws hat enthusiast, entrepreneur, avid appreciator of the arts
Southpaw

Postby luarocks » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:23 pm

World 14 when!
luarocks

Postby Massa » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:29 pm

Southpaw wrote:then maybe jorb/lorb have to work more than a couple hour a week on average.

Fixed.

A good thing to start with to stop hemorrhaging players is to make mundane tasks less pointlessly punishing and boring and stop designing things specifically to make everything shitty.

A way to ward off midges, AoE+speed on scythe harvesting so farmers don't have the most boring and miserable task that's always a full time job, less deliberate tedium, the very fundamentals of the energy system that directly punishes you for playing the game on a main character/engaging with its content (any form of manual labor in the game, mining, building, etc.), the travel system (that was largely fixed this world), etc.

These are a handful of the pile of changes people have begged for for YEARS that would take little to nothing to make them less horrible. The only rebuttal I've heard from Jorb is that "big sweaty players will just farm more stuff in the same amount of time", don't care. He's creative enough to hamper this without harming smaller players if he wants to choke resource gain by big players, not that anyone at the top wants for anything anyway. No one is farming because no one is playing because farming (specifically, this also applies to many tasks, but at least mining is kind of fun) is a completely miserable, daily, asscrack slog that takes hours a day. And it's just one of the many slogs that require daily tedium to maintain, just for animals.
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby vatas » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:51 am

I've advocated for almost a built-in farmer bot for some time now, reasoning being that high-end players will ALWAYS have access to farming bot anyway.

It shouldn't be mandatory to have a computer science major in your village.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby meus » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:02 am

This is true about farming and botting and being tedious, but also is having to drag "small" stuff around using chests/crates/etc. just because you can't place it in a stockpile - especially in the "endgame".
I.e. having to drag Berries/Eggs/Meat/Raisins/etc. when cooking. This is the most tedious thing about Farming and Cooking, not so much the need to harvest/sow.
Especially cooking, or Silkfarming, just require too much "inventory" space so that you pretty much can do it only if surrounded by a set of Cupboards. More stockpile-able objects would be most welcome.
meus

Postby mvgulik » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:38 pm

vatas wrote:I've advocated for almost a built-in farmer bot for some time now.

Technically they already implemented a (server side) farming bot feature. As you can plant or harvest multiple crops of the same type with one click.
(Farming is way better than what is was, but its also still a major drag and a highly boring time sink.)

Any next level automation would be something command driven. ie: some scripted heartling control. I don't see the dev's doing that ... ever.

[spelling]
Last edited by mvgulik on Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mvgulik

Postby vatas » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:24 pm

"Just make official farming bots" -argument has some other issues as well...

(based on what w12 version of Purus Pasta had)

Simplest farming bots would only harvest->replant->drop anything extra->repeat. This was decent enough for mass-producing fodder for little effort (there was separate "through filler" -bot you'd run after finishing first one.

Then there was experimentation with using chests as buffer for best quality carrots, bot would harvest until inventory full, then meticulously compare carrots to ensure that the highest quality ones would be replanted and lowest ones (that would not fit buffer) would be relegated to through.

If the "official" bot is sub-optimal, the people making their own bots still have advantage, if you make it too elaborate you might make it too hard to use and stray bit too close to the Jorb's "Optimally, the game should play itself" -argument.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby DoctorCookie » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:35 pm

The bot argument is valid, the griefing argument is also valid. I dont resent anyone's advantage that they create for themselves. However, once that advantage is used to attempt to exterminate the more casual population from the game it nullifies any pvp based griefing argumants that jorb/loftar have expressed as their core beliefs. The population always drops into the hundreds once the factions have settled down and made their alliances. In past worlds, w10 for sure, we had a community fair and events that kept people around and the last part of the world was a good time for a new player to join and learn the game. Now if the creators mean for the game just to be played at a faction level, then put that out there. I am not sure how to address this as a two man team, I am just want the game to thrive.
DoctorCookie

PreviousNext

Return to Misc.