Re: The only world reset/wipe requests/discussion topic

Postby TheServant » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:22 pm

I would be very happy to play a new world.

When, jorb? :? :?
TheServant

Postby vatas » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:50 pm

I'm going to throw this idea again:

When you post an update, add to the "in the pipe" -section that you pledge to NOT reset at least until X date.

Only downside I can think of, is that no matter how clear you make the message, at least someone will read it as "RESET CONFIRMED ON X" and they will be angry when it doesn't happen.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby Kamekono » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:43 pm

vatas wrote:I'm going to throw this idea again:

When you post an update, add to the "in the pipe" -section that you pledge to NOT reset at least until X date.

Only downside I can think of, is that no matter how clear you make the message, at least someone will read it as "RESET CONFIRMED ON X" and they will be angry when it doesn't happen.

I don't mind the idea, but I'd rather know when they expect to reset.
Telling me you pledge not to reset until June, is not nearly the same as telling me you expect a reset around next fall.
First, you wouldn't pledge not to reset for a LONG time because it would be harder to keep true to it if something goes wrong. So we would see stuff like "We pledge not to reset at least until May", which is better than nothing but not really useful. I mean, it's less than two months away.
Second, and more important, it doesn't really give you a clue on when the reset might happen. Today they could pledge until June. Then pledge until September. Then December, and so on for two more years if they want to.
I know they don't have a set date, and that's perfectly ok. But I'm sure in their minds they know how long they would like for this to last, and that's what I want to know. Do they want it to last at least a the 2nd year marker? Do they hope to have a 5 years old world? Or are they considering about 1 year and a half is enough for this?
Knowing that would be of some value to me, because I know that unless something extreme happens, I have a timeline to work on.
Then again, we don't need a specific date, just a hint to what they are aiming for.
Kamekono

Postby iamahh » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:24 pm

I think it's easier for Haven featuring a scripting API than wipe policy change like that

it is what it is for a good reason, old world players depend on not knowing, while non players can start playing again if they want, but if you read all signs you may get an idea how close it is
iamahh

Postby Raffeh » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:34 pm

TRAITORS WILL BE SHOT.
Raffeh

Postby Ciego » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:24 pm

Raffeh wrote:https://youtu.be/zvRyNbtHBsI?t=7139

Thank you! I hadn't known about this.

In MY opinion, if there would NEVER be a world reset, there would be much less incentive to play. I think, in my opinion, there would be fewer people playing.
And/or, many people would be clamoring to buy the ability to run a personal server.
Ciego

Postby jacob232 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:39 am

So......Say one day they decide to create a 'Max shelf life' for a world (unless we have a specific patch that is very large and we want it to sync with the reset each world will last Xmonths) how long should that 'Max shelf life' BE?

I personally dont care about resets one way or the other. While im able to apply more knowledge to my start up each reset i also play casually so i always have features to experiment and explore.....if it was announced that the world reset was postponed till 2022 id be fine with that. they reset tomorrow? id actually be a bit bummed because im not done with this bout of testing! but i have enough understanding of my current test to implement a functional model easily......but im working towards efficiency!
so this one time at band camp.............
jacob232

Postby Zampfeo » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:32 pm

jacob232 wrote:So......Say one day they decide to create a 'Max shelf life' for a world (unless we have a specific patch that is very large and we want it to sync with the reset each world will last Xmonths) how long should that 'Max shelf life' BE?

They could do a monthly poll of the subscribed users.
Zampfeo

Postby VDZ » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:08 pm

Zampfeo wrote:
jacob232 wrote:So......Say one day they decide to create a 'Max shelf life' for a world (unless we have a specific patch that is very large and we want it to sync with the reset each world will last Xmonths) how long should that 'Max shelf life' BE?

They could do a monthly poll of the subscribed users.

That still doesn't help in expectation management; all it would do is take away control from the devs. The point is that people can know 'oh, this world won't be reset for a while, might as well start playing today rather than wait two more months'.

The 'tradition' has been just a bit more than a year, but personally I think shorter might be more optimal considering a good portion of that time the world is relatively inactive and not much happens/changes anymore; perhaps it could be as short as 6 months per world, even.
VDZ

Postby beardhat » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:13 am

Not considering the cost and logistics to do so, purely from a design perspective...

I think there should be two worlds running side by side, one "Old" world and one "New" world.

The Old World has a "end of the world" or pretty much Ragnarok event, in which no new characters can be made, existing characters can't reincarnate if they die, all claim protections are disabled, and the sacraficial altar from a few worlds back is added to the world and the player who manages to sacrifice themselves to it get a unique hat for their account, and the world ends.

A New World works just like a normal world, but after 6-12 months, it gets changed into an Old World outlined above, and a fresh new world server is launched.

I feel like this would solve the two problems I have with H&H's long term play, after a certain point its just a non-stop quality grind with no real goal, and getting a newbro friend to join you they tend to get bored if you just carry them with quality 100+ food and kitting them out in full armor, when the fun of the game is the early game progression and setting up your hermit house/villiage to produce everything you want/need. It fixes the problem in that it gives us a fresh start more regularly, but also makes us want to stick around for the end of the world instead of just abandoning it when a new world is announced
beardhat

PreviousNext

Return to Misc.