Personal Claim Activation

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Personal Claim Activation

Postby spavaloo » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:10 am

Granger wrote:Another strategy is to drop multiple claims (as they're quite cheap) in different places you deem interesting (in default size, just build the stake), when you name them you can check 8h later by looking at you mentory (deeds to destroyed claims will vanish) which of them have survived and (hopefully) pick a surviving one to expand, refill authority and build your stuff.


Sure- dropping 4000 LP each on a scattering of claims while also trying to scrounge LP for abilities while only having access to the lowest tiers of foraged and crafted curios because industry of any kind is near impossible without a claim- sounds like a hoot and a half.
Can we please get our shit together and go to space already?
User avatar
spavaloo
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:33 am

Re: Personal Claim Activation

Postby wonder-ass » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:12 am

just make yeomanry alts.
Jorb: Go rub sticks, sprucecap.
Image
#GerdgenDidNothingWrong
User avatar
wonder-ass
 
Posts: 1877
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:02 am

Re: Personal Claim Activation

Postby spavaloo » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:16 am

The fact that the suggested solutions to this are:

1. Alt cheese
2. Exploits + Alt cheese
3. Shotgunning claims and praying

tells me there's a problem.
Can we please get our shit together and go to space already?
User avatar
spavaloo
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:33 am

Re: Personal Claim Activation

Postby Sevenless » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:21 am

The problem here is that you can either give a mechanical advantage to established players, or to unestablished ones. Generally speaking it's better to support established players at a cost of exposing your newer ones to frustration unfortunately.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

A brief exposé on casting rod fishing
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
User avatar
Sevenless
 
Posts: 6290
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:55 am
Location: Canada

Re: Personal Claim Activation

Postby spavaloo » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:30 am

Maybe claims could require the activation window only if placed in a (fairly large) area around existing claims.

For example, if you try to stake a claim within ~200 tiles of the border of an existing claim, the 8-hour window is imposed, but otherwise there's no window.
Can we please get our shit together and go to space already?
User avatar
spavaloo
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:33 am

Re: Personal Claim Activation

Postby linkfanpc » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:38 am

Sevenless wrote:The problem here is that you can either give a mechanical advantage to established players, or to unestablished ones. Generally speaking it's better to support established players at a cost of exposing your newer ones to frustration unfortunately.


I agree with this.
KCAB SRETTEL EERHT
jorb wrote:Hitting a "Ghejejiiwlonk" with your "Umappawoozle" for eightyfifteen points of "Sharmakookel", simply makes no sense.

W7: Semi-Hermit
W8: Semi-Hermit
W9-11: Lawspeaker of Redstone, Hearthstone, and another one i can't remember :flushed:
W12: Lawspeaker
User avatar
linkfanpc
 
Posts: 1968
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:07 pm
Location: The Overthere

Re: Personal Claim Activation

Postby CloudJhi » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:06 am

spavaloo wrote:Maybe claims could require the activation window only if placed in a (fairly large) area around existing claims.

For example, if you try to stake a claim within ~200 tiles of the border of an existing claim, the 8-hour window is imposed, but otherwise there's no window.


This almost sounded like a good idea then I thought of how anyone griefy enough would just drop that claim and extend it in one direction til its stopped by the claim it's trying to suppress.
W3 to W6 - Blockland. Special mentions: New Avalon, Tarn of Hotdog, Red October.
W7 - Elvenia, til we all got lazy.
W8 - Cult of R'lyeh, til the deeps called us back.
W9 - Tartarus, til death/wizards came for the land itself.
W10 - ???, ruined and forgotten.
User avatar
CloudJhi
 
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:06 am
Location: The Pearl of the Orient

Re: Personal Claim Activation

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:49 am

CloudJhi wrote:This almost sounded like a good idea then I thought of how anyone griefy enough would just drop that claim and extend it in one direction til its stopped by the claim it's trying to suppress.

There was a size ratio implemented so that this can't be cheaply done. The length of side A can't exceed more than 5x of side B.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
User avatar
MagicManICT
 
Posts: 18153
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:47 am

Re: Personal Claim Activation

Postby spavaloo » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:29 am

CloudJhi wrote:
spavaloo wrote:...


This almost sounded like a good idea then I thought of how anyone griefy enough would just drop that claim and extend it in one direction til its stopped by the claim it's trying to suppress.


At 10 LP per tile, with the 1:5 aspect ratio, going with my example of a 200 tile distance, and accounting for the existing 5 tile buffer, it would cost I think 76,050 LP to block off one side of a claim with another claim which would measure 195x39.

If someone is spending 304,200 LP to block in a claim, I think the safe bet is that they aren't engaging in casual griefing and there's instead some sort of siege going on.
Can we please get our shit together and go to space already?
User avatar
spavaloo
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:33 am

Re: Personal Claim Activation

Postby CloudJhi » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:17 am

MagicManICT wrote:There was a size ratio implemented so that this can't be cheaply done. The length of side A can't exceed more than 5x of side B.

spavaloo wrote:
At 10 LP per tile, with the 1:5 aspect ratio, going with my example of a 200 tile distance, and accounting for the existing 5 tile buffer, it would cost I think 76,050 LP to block off one side of a claim with another claim which would measure 195x39.

If someone is spending 304,200 LP to block in a claim, I think the safe bet is that they aren't engaging in casual griefing and there's instead some sort of siege going on.


I didn't know about this at all. I thought I could sink a cushy 10k LP to stop this idea. With that knowledge though, I'm now thinking that that's a pretty great idea.
W3 to W6 - Blockland. Special mentions: New Avalon, Tarn of Hotdog, Red October.
W7 - Elvenia, til we all got lazy.
W8 - Cult of R'lyeh, til the deeps called us back.
W9 - Tartarus, til death/wizards came for the land itself.
W10 - ???, ruined and forgotten.
User avatar
CloudJhi
 
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:06 am
Location: The Pearl of the Orient

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 0 guests