Game Development: A Low Blow

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: A Low Blow

Postby jorb » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:09 pm

We've been developing, and here's what's new.

Test Server Combat Changes
-----------------------
  • We had a bit of a crisis of confidence in the new combat system we're developing this week, as the fundamentally reactive nature of it began to give us some serious pause. A problem with the system as it stood last week was that whoever tried to strike the first blow in combat was effectively putting himself in harm's way, with very little chance of actually hitting the opponent, leaving almost all "initiative" in the hands of whoever played the fight passively. This also played into and off of the more general problem that you could always run away from an opponent, with very few recourses for him to get at you. In the presently running system on the real server this is at least less of a problem, since attacks there hit automatically and instantly when within range. We spent a fair bit of time analyzing and discussing this back and forth. Thus:
  • Reworked "Low Blow". Low blow is now a pursuit attack with no windup, which hits instantly whenever the target is in range. You can abort the attack at any time, at the price of some cooldown. You get a longer cooldown if you hit with the attack. The attack for almost all intents and purposes works like a traditional attack in the presently running system on the real server. "Low Blow" does not interrupt other attacks. We felt, in testing, that this simple addition did a lot to bring dynamism to the fights, as you now have a more effective means of initial offensive action, and we also feel that there is design space to add some more attacks like it. Please chime in.
  • Increased range of "Kick" and "Sideswipe"
  • Increased hit area of "Punch" and "Left Hook"
  • Increased cooldown of "Quick Dodge"
  • Decreased windup of "Rip Apart"
  • You now receive cooldown when your attack is dodged or blocked by a shield.
  • We spent some time working on animal AI for the new system.

As always, if you liked what we did here: Support the patch.

Today's Patch Item, for the fair price of $7, is the "Banana Panama".

Store Description wrote:Image$7 Have you been loading the banana boat all night long? Relax under the palm trees in the suave Banana Panama!

All Gold & Silver subscribers have been awarded the "Banana Panama". free of charge.

In the Pipe
-----------------------

Enjoy!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development: A Low Blow

Postby 524u » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:10 pm

Eat beans
B)
524u

Postby delsus » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:10 pm

No content other than combat :'(
delsus

Postby jorb » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:11 pm

delsus wrote:No content other than combat :'(

Them's the beats. Sucks, but we need the time.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

jorb

Postby Mary_CZ » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:22 pm

Jorb and Loftar, are u sure that game need new combat? I like old one, if u add only that nice animation, I think people will be happy too.
I'm upset that u both spent to much time with it, like with season and then ppl say - horrible, bad, omg winter again.
Even if you're trying to do all best for us, people will be shout on u.

good luck ;)
Mary_CZ

Postby shubla » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:53 pm

Have you tried the combat system yourself with artificial (and large) ping?
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby jorb » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:04 pm

shubla wrote:Have you tried the combat system yourself with artificial (and large) ping?

No, but that is probably a good idea.

jorb

Postby xzo » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:16 pm

good luck with animal AI, I like that new system and that you are making every move different, it would be awesome to have at some point weapon dependent moves and this is great step towards future additions
My mother told me Someday I would buy
Galley with good oars Sail to distant shores
Stand up high in the prow Noble barque I steer
Steady course for the haven Hew many foe-men,
hew many foe-men
xzo

Postby wonder-ass » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:24 pm

you can still hit people out of their lowblow by simply using anything with longer range lol
also sideswipe isnt bad because of its range its bad because dizzy+extremely long cd
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby jorb » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:37 pm

wonder-ass wrote:you can still hit people out of their lowblow by simply using anything with longer range lol

Well, yes, but that implies fighting back, taking a cooldown, hitting, &c. I don't think the idea is that there shouldn't be counterplay.

lol.

jorb

Next

Return to Announcements