Food Service Improved

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

Food Service Improved

Postby shubla » Sun May 10, 2020 8:09 pm

https://food.hearthlands.net/

I made an improved version of the food service released by APXEOLOG.

Major changes are probably:
- Cool UI
- Better search syntax
- Faster, at least if you live in Finland
- Support for smoked foods and better icons for foods (but they require data to be contributed by users with client modifications mentioned below)

Those who want to modify their clients to contribute data can do so by these changes to AXPEOLOGS changes.

If you have feedback about the site or need help, join https://discord.gg/XEAdJnD

No trolling of any form in thread pls.
Last edited by shubla on Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Re: Food Service Improved

Postby Glorthan » Tue May 12, 2020 4:29 am

Why not just use apx's data and make a PR for smoked foods?

I don't see how having disparate datasets is helpful, the idea was that people could write different front ends with a unified source, not just datadump and make a whole new slightly different backend further fragmenting the set of available recipes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

FWIW I think the site is slightly better than the original, but nowhere near the original cookbook. Having separate input fields seemed to make it a lot less confusing for less technically inclined people in my experience, and the layout is nicer.
Glorthan

Postby bmjclark » Tue May 12, 2020 5:47 am

shubla wrote:- Cool UI

It looks like it was developed by a first year web development student who got straight D's
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby shubla » Tue May 12, 2020 7:51 am

bmjclark wrote:
shubla wrote:- Cool UI

It looks like it was developed by a first year web development student who got straight D's

Well, Im not a webdeveloper or a designer. Feel free to suggest improvements or make a better one.
Glorthan wrote:Why not just use apx's data and make a PR for smoked foods?

I don't see how having disparate datasets is helpful, the idea was that people could write different front ends with a unified source, not just datadump and make a whole new slightly different backend further fragmenting the set of available recipes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

FWIW I think the site is slightly better than the original, but nowhere near the original cookbook. Having separate input fields seemed to make it a lot less confusing for less technically inclined people in my experience, and the layout is nicer.

There are a few reasons.
One being smoked food of course, and generally having more control, as AXPEOLOG doesn't seem to update his stuff too often (there were some major problems for a month, it seemed like his site had completely stopped accepting data, actually development of this started during that time when axpeologs site was completely broken, but he happened to fix it before this was released).
The UI that axpeolog made had some bad bugs (Try setting amount of recipes visible to a large number, like 100). In addition to lacking a few interesting features and search syntax.
AXPEOLOG made his thing with vuejs and extensively used some AWS services, something that I'm not familiar with nor too willing to learn for this, so I just made my own.

I perhaps have to agree with the separate text fields being nicer graphically, but I feel like they make using the site a lot slower if you know what you are doing. The search syntax used is quite simple and shouldn't produce problems for too many.

Having separate datasets is for sure a bit sad, but they can be merged quite easily.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Fostik » Tue May 12, 2020 11:24 am

This UI works faster, has better filters, i like it.
The idea with table of FEP bonuses isn't bad, I really like filters by clicking on required FEP, but when it creates empty column it looks like unfinished concept rather that something good from point of view of UX, like searching +2 stats in this table - cant get how to do that proper, because it filters +1 stats too.

Also, consider to make a checkbox to hide rare ingredients, like troll, orca, cachalot and others, because searching for a good food generating vast pages with this ingredients, which requires to write too much exclusions for decent player to find something he can do with his resources.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby Makzul78 » Tue May 12, 2020 4:40 pm

Fostik wrote:troll, orca, cachalot and others

Heartwood leaves, fairy mushroom, driftkelp, bollock, Block of Trombone Chantrelle, Troll Mushrooms, pepper.

Also, typing "from:moose" doesn't show Elk Dog sausage. How do I fix this?
jorb wrote:Inb4 red bounding boxes, movement indication vectors, &c&c. Bye art, hello matrix, tru pvp4lyfe #winning.
Makzul78

Postby Fostik » Tue May 12, 2020 4:47 pm

Makzul78 wrote:Also, typing "from:moose" doesn't show Elk Dog sausage. How do I fix this?

You can't, "from" are only used for variable recipes, which can have different stats from different ingredients. Generic recipes which requires only one certain ingredients will not display on such requests.
Try search name: "elk dog"
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby MagicManICT » Wed May 13, 2020 4:47 am

Mod note: approved shubla's last post above if anyone is interested in reading it.
@Fostik: please use multi-quote if possible rather than triple posting. Thanks. edit: oops, my bad. Apologies to Fostik for calling out on this. I could have swore I saw something I didn't.
Last edited by MagicManICT on Wed May 13, 2020 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated post; new information
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby jordancoles » Wed May 13, 2020 4:56 am

Make the UI cooler
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Gorakil » Wed May 13, 2020 9:03 am

Please consider adding this cool stretching reminder pop up.
Gorakil

Next

Return to The Wizards' Tower