Game Development: Through a Glass Darkly

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: Through a Glass Darkly

Postby jorb » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:53 pm

We've been developing, and here's what's new.

New Implementations
-----------------------
  • Added new skill "Glass Blowing", now required for most, if not all, glass making.
  • Added "Glass Blowing Rod", tool. Used in conjunction with a Crucible to blow rounded glass items.
  • Added "Glass Pane Frame", processing object, By letting molten glass cool on a mirror of quicksilver, you can create smooth and well-formed Glass Panes, useful for several crafts.
  • Glass is now first created in a molten state, which, if left wherever, will form into Raw Glass. If left in an active Glass Pane Frame, it will turn into Glass Panes instead.

Key Fixes
-----------------------
  • Fixed a bug by which the Elixir timers could occasionally fail to remove themselves, causing massive wounds. Saw aching joints @ 73.5k. Share your war stories below!
  • If you manage to impart the same potential effect more than once on an alchemical ingredient, it will only count once for the purposes of positive Elixir effects, but still count as a matched effect, and reduce the potion's negative side effect.

Small Fixes
-----------------------
  • Snow objects now ask for "snow" rather than "a snow" when trying to repair them. Xanadu Wolf's Cape awarded to l0ft4r.
  • Buffed the "Potent Rod", "Prism" and "Magnifying Glass" curiosities on account of the more involved crafting process.

As always, if you liked what we did here: Support the patch.

Today's Patch Items, for the fair price of $9 is the "Mountain Top"

Store Description wrote:Image$9 Real estate for sale: Sunny Mountain Top with tall peak above the clouds, and your very own river. Several trees.

All Gold & Silver subscribers have been awarded the "Mountain Top.". free of charge.

In the Pipe
-----------------------
  • Loftar has finished GPU processing of both bone and mesh animations, allowing, among other things, for instanced rendering of animated meshes (beehives, &c). This has not been pushed yet as a thereby introduced technical limitation (a maximum of four bone influences per vertex) necessitates me to rework some art resources to not cause various dumb mesh bleeds. Will try to push before the end of August at least.
  • Again urging any custom client maker who wishes to stay relevant to get with the new rendering times. Support for the old resources will be dropped at some point.
  • An update to the server-client protocol is the next project in the pipe. It is a relatively limited scope project to allow for better definitions of objects in relation to other objects (E.g. bubbling retort standing on lit tripod burner with variable materials, standing on an Alchemist's table. That kind of stuff). One upside is that it could allow us to add variable materials to tools and equipment. This is necessary for the next project after, namely Object Controlled Objects, which we consider the next major milestone in development.
  • Time to... like us on Facebook?
  • Time to... follow us on Twitter?

Enjoy!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development: Through a Glass Darkly

Postby Hose » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:53 pm

Issa patch!
Hose

Postby Zentetsuken » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:57 pm

Zentetsuken

Postby DDDsDD999 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:57 pm

jorb wrote:[*] Again urging any custom client maker who wishes to stay relevant to get with the new rendering times. Support for the old resources will be dropped at some point.

loftar already did that, there's a million posts about how all the custom clients are broken.
DDDsDD999

Postby Cimmera » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:58 pm

Gotta do something when waiting for a client rewrite to keep ppl busy. Just poking my head in from hospital to see how all you sombitches doing
Cimmera

Postby loftar » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:58 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:loftar already did that, there's a million posts about how all the custom clients are broken.

That should actually be fixed already, but I have to admit I never did see any posts about it, so I just kind of assumed that everyone had those resources cached and so didn't have trouble with them.

The cause was that I was rebuilding the internal environment to have the new client as the main one, but as part of the process I accidentally pointed the old resources to the new ones.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Fostik » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:59 pm

Well, crafting ant farm will now be harder than make a cheese, great!

Why dont you fixed Blistering Headache and Rot Gut heal timer? Is 1 hp per rl day indended?
Last edited by Fostik on Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby Redlaw » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:00 pm

Looks interesting.
Redlaw

Postby Xeldrin » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:03 pm

Neat update!
But my cape and cap got a bit messed up it seems :(
Attachments
cape.png
cape.png (147.31 KiB) Viewed 5229 times