Game Development: Cattle Time

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: Cattle Time

Postby jorb » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:17 pm

We've been developing, and here's what's new.

New Implementations
-----------------------
  • Added "Cattle Roster". Domesticated animals can now be "Memorized" from their flower menus, and doing so adds them to your Cattle Roster. The Cattle Roster provides a quick and easily accessible overview of known animals, where you can sort them by their names and other various qualities. Should simplify management of them significantly. You can find it under "Adventure" -> "Cattle Roster".

Key Fixes
-----------------------
  • Fixed a long standing graphical issue by which the tile transitions would throw weird little shadows over water. Very nice if you were ever bothered by it/noticed.
  • Redrew the horizon meter in 4x size (shown here in 2x) to support higher UI resolutions. Sun and moon still not redrawn.
  • Redrew the menu down element in 4x size (shown here in 2x) to support higher UI resolutions.

Small Fixes
-----------------------
  • Fixed a bug with flags not displaying.
  • Added candle light to the miner's helm when lit.

As always, if you liked what we did here: Support the patch.

Today's Patch Items, for the fair price of $9 is the "Lock & Key"

Store Description wrote:Image$9 The silver key unlocks the golden chain, but what strange treasure, or hidden wisdom, is held in chains?

All Gold & Silver subscribers have been awarded the "Lock & Key", free of charge.

In the Pipe
-----------------------
  • Again urging any custom client maker who wishes to stay relevant to get with the new rendering times. Support for the old resources will be dropped at some point.
  • An update to the server-client protocol is the next project in the pipe. It is a relatively limited scope project to allow for better definitions of objects in relation to other objects (E.g. bubbling retort standing on lit tripod burner with variable materials, standing on an Alchemist's table. That kind of stuff). One upside is that it could allow us to add variable materials to tools and equipment. This is necessary for the next project after, namely Object Controlled Objects, which we consider the next major milestone in development.
  • Time to... like us on Facebook?
  • Time to... follow us on Twitter?

Enjoy!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development: Cattle Time

Postby shubla » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:18 pm

Where are the bounding boxes? Yeah its cool feature, BUT: yet again you add something that no one requested, bounding boxes are by far the most popular request thats been on dev announcement threads lately, so maybe add those BEFORE all these other things?
I hope that it supports remote operations, like ability to slaughter animal quick without being next to it.
Yeah, its ugly, but that is major problem with animal management at the moment, the fact that they get to multiply to great numbers and then its very difficult to manage them, slaughtering them all would take so long time etc.

I think it would be extremely cool to see age of animals (days since being born) and also sex via that panel.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby strpk0 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:18 pm

Absolutely pogifying
Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

Postby Zentetsuken » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:21 pm

Zentetsuken

Postby hushpuppi3 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:23 pm

shubla wrote:yet again you add something that no one requested

Just because you didn't request it doesnt mean it was never requested

and the only reason it wasn't requested is because its on most of the custom clients (like bounding boxes)
hushpuppi3

Postby DDDsDD999 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:26 pm

Would be best update this year if you added a way to area select animals to add to the list.
DDDsDD999

Postby shubla » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:28 pm

hushpuppi3 wrote:
shubla wrote:yet again you add something that no one requested

Just because you didn't request it doesnt mean it was never requested

and the only reason it wasn't requested is because its on most of the custom clients (like bounding boxes)

Yes it has been requested, and in general it is a nice thing. But I'm pretty sure that bounding boxes are a higher priority for many if not most.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Apocoreo » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:29 pm

Bruh a lot of people requested this, not me because I don't do my villages farming. Actually our rancher has been away and I had to do an animal cull and it sucked. This looks like it will make comparing their value and deciding what to kill less of a pain in the ass, good update.

Remote Slaughtering would be nice, I find butchering more time consuming personally. Instead, I would recommend the ability to rename animals from this interface, and maybe show the names above the animals while the interface is open. That way, I can name a bunch of animals "kill" and then go through them quicker. Or if you implement names above their heads, I could move the interface aside, see what must be slaughtered at a glance and do it.

One thing I do agree with Shubla wholeheartedly: bounding boxes is a necessary addition. But I did see people asking for this so props. I do believe this interface needs some more work because I hate ranching but love spreadsheets. If you think reliance on an interface harms immersion, consider as a village advances they would begin writing things down, records and such. Many do out of the game in Excel and Google Sheets.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby Baba_Ji » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:33 pm

Gerdgen wrote:Using the default client more lately, the following things seem the most lacking compared to custom clients, mostly things everyone already brings up:

-Mousewheel zoom speed: it's so damn slow! Amber had a menu option bar to increase speed of this.
-Bounding boxes: Same argument as for gridlines, it's not meant to be aesthetically pleasing but allows us to place stuff to be aesthetically pleasing. A tool.
-Waterskin/Waterflask meter: Combat, mining, and of course digging soil all consume tons of water and everyone is hauling around 10-20 waterskins. Being able to tell which ones are full at a glance is pretty useful. If appearance is important, maybe a custom image cross section of the container with the liquid at different levels? Then the icon itself would convey the information.
-Fast Equip Hands slot: I switch between tools and travellers sacks a lot, and right now this requires me to open up the whole equipment tab every time to do it.
-Button to drink from any hotkey'd container.
-Hotkey to display current damage of stuff on the screen. Or even just a tickbox in options. I usually have this on all the time except for when I disable the GUI for pictures.
-Alternate version of alt+u that makes the entire GUI just instantly invisible. For picture purposes. Also hides the % damage overlay and hearthling names and such.

Plenty of other stuff but these seem like low hanging fruit that many would appreciate.

Thanks for the wagon change again!
Baba_Ji

Postby DDDsDD999 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:38 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:Would be best update this year if you added a way to area select animals to add to the list.

Also, see viewtopic.php?f=48&t=45365&p=589845&hilit=pasture%2A#p589845
DDDsDD999

Next

Return to Announcements