Boting allowed?

General discussion and socializing.

Boting allowed?

Postby Ailaa » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:28 pm

Hello,

I did try to search the forums about bots, but i did not find anything if it was allowed or not.
I noticed in the Screenshot topic that some snail person seems to be using alot of bots.
As he was so open about it, i'm guessing it's allowed or? But isn't it abit unusual for a MMORPG to allow that?
Ailaa

Re: Boting allowed?

Postby Zampfeo » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:34 pm

The devs feel like they can't police it, so they don't. At all. They instead try to design mechanics to discourage it. Most people here either accepted it or bot themselves, but that might be survivorship bias. I personally hate botting and multiboxing.
Zampfeo

Postby Ailaa » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:42 pm

Zampfeo wrote:The devs feel like they can't police it, so they don't. At all. They instead try to design mechanics to discourage it. Most people here either accepted it or bot themselves, but that might be survivorship bias. I personally hate botting and multiboxing.

Alright good to know. I suppose that's a good reason as they don't have this as a full time job. It's a shame though, i agree with your viewpoint, bots seems abit discouraging.
Ailaa

Postby Ysh » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:11 pm

It is discouraged but not actively policed. There have been some case where enforcement occurs, but this is rare and exceptional case.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby shubla » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:43 pm

Hope not!

Botting is a symptom not the root cause.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Ardennesss » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:44 pm

Ysh wrote:It is discouraged but not actively policed. There have been some case where enforcement occurs, but this is rare and exceptional case.
I'm not sure it's fair to categorize that situation as "discouraged." They couldn't be bothered to do anything about someone running a bot that autobans anyone who talks in realm chat, and jorb went as far recently to advise a player to simply bot a mechanic that they didn't like.
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby Ysh » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:49 pm

Ardennesss wrote:
Ysh wrote:It is discouraged but not actively policed. There have been some case where enforcement occurs, but this is rare and exceptional case.
I'm not sure it's fair to categorize that situation as "discouraged." They couldn't be bothered to do anything about someone running a bot that autobans anyone who talks in realm chat, and jorb went as far recently to advise a player to simply bot a mechanic that they didn't like.

I suspect if you ask jorb that he likes such autoban bot, he will answer no. I further suspect this advice of bot to be sarcastic reply.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby Ardennesss » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:51 pm

Ysh wrote:
Ardennesss wrote:

I suspect if you ask jorb that he likes such autoban bot, he will answer no. I further suspect this advice of bot to be sarcastic reply.
Their official stance is that presence of bots typically indcates gameplay mechanics that are not as engaging or "fun" as intended, but considering the widespread scale of bots at this point - I'm not sure that mentality is doing anyone any good.
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby Ysh » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:57 pm

Ardennesss wrote:
Ysh wrote:
Ardennesss wrote:I'm not sure it's fair to categorize that situation as "discouraged." They couldn't be bothered to do anything about someone running a bot that autobans anyone who talks in realm chat, and jorb went as far recently to advise a player to simply bot a mechanic that they didn't like.

Their official stance is that presence of bots typically indcates gameplay mechanics that are not as engaging or "fun" as intended, but considering the widespread scale of bots at this point - I'm not sure that mentality is doing anyone any good.

Speed of development is increased by not wasting time dueling with mechanical men.

Ysh

Postby Ardennesss » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:58 pm

Ysh wrote:Speed of development is increased by not wasting time dueling with mechanical men.
Speed of development time is also increased by not wasting time dueling with what the playerbase actually wants, should they continue to do that as well?
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Next

Return to The Inn of Brodgar