buckets of water in inventory

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: buckets of water in inventory

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:11 pm

lol why is it so funny
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Nightdawg » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:53 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:
lol why is it so funny

BECAUSE IT WOULD CLEARLY ONLY HELP YOU, OMG LEARN THE GAME

sorry caps
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Sevenless » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:06 pm

I feel like needing to carry buckets of water in the inventory is a band-aid to an absurd if functional system.

I'm not knowledgeable enough on the combat system, but is there any way to just flat out rework the relationship between running and water? Would the combat system work if everyone had "infinite" water?
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:25 pm

Sevenless wrote:Would the combat system work if everyone had "infinite" water?

Ye, it absolutely would. People like to talk about "infinite chases", but realistically if two players are equal in competency it should never take more than like 5 or 10 minutes for one to escape the other. The very, very long chases only happen when the person being chased is stalling, or the chasers are way better, or the chasers have 10 horses and 5 snekkjas to chase one guy - which is gameplay that I don't think should be rewarded.

IMO, it's a separate topic - buckets in inventory is more to resolve very early game resource shortages that aren't fun. In general, I think another solution that would help with the overall problem (in addition to buckets in inventory) is just vastly lowering the water consumed per sip, or increasing the amount waterskins hold, or allowing buckets in belts, or allowing belts in inventories. Or all of those.
Last edited by SnuggleSnail on Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
SnuggleSnail

Postby Sevenless » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:40 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:IMO, it's a separate topic - buckets in inventory is more to resolve very early game resource shortages that aren't fun. In general, I think another solution that would help with the overall problem (in addition to buckets in inventory) is just vastly lowering the water consumed per sip, or increasing the amount waterskins hold.

That was the idea that I was wondering about. What does the volume hearthling consumed of "good water" impact otherwise? Hauling barrels of water to mines, not exactly a mechanic anyone would miss or disrupt gameplay massively if it vanished. Arguably also changes the value of belts, since the main use of those slots is water past a certain point.

All we need to do is move the amount of water you need into being something convenient for everyone to carry., ideally in a single container since every scrub will have 1 water container on them for their non-pvp stamina needs anyway. I think this would be addressing the problem, while the buckets addresses the symptom.

Also... just... from a convenience sake let us have buckets in inventory. It's an annoyance that doesn't really serve a purpose.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:27 pm

TBH, I would rather waterskins not be buffed SO hard that belt progression doesn't feel rewarding. Every time I KO some pleb and get my first grand/silk/troll belt that world feels really nice. IMO, buckets in inventory and sips taking .01 is enough to make it convenient, but retaining some of the value belts have. Alternatively, buckets in belts and inventory without the sip amount change.

That said, I would certainly rather things get overbuffed than underbuffed or remain the same.
SnuggleSnail

Postby Archiplex » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:46 am

reducing the amount of water used per sip is a great idea and all but how does it make the game more excruciatingly annoying for anyone to play? -1
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby SnuggleSnail » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:45 am

VDZ wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:If my group chased you 5v1 in spars for 2 or 3 hours while giving you pointers you would be able to escape 98% of people consistently, and the other 2% inconsistently. Stats/armor give you a bigger leeway for fucking up, but they're not even really that necessary beyond a reasonable point. If you've played this game for a long time and you haven't learned how to run IMO you're actively choosing to be a victim considering how easy it is.

If you're a PvPer, sure. But I carry 6 liters of water with me at most. At some point it'll run out and I get raped anyways. I'm not going to constantly carry a full belt and half an inventory of watersacks/flasks for the rare situation where I get attacked by a player.
SnuggleSnail

Postby wonder-ass » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:36 pm

Buckets in inv will make early game pvp a lot more enjoyable and more frequent.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Procne » Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:42 am

I would agree with Sevenless' proposal and have drinking water consume no water from the container. But only regular water. So spring water, alcohol, milk etc. would still be consumed, if drank
Last bumped by SnuggleSnail on Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:42 am.
Procne

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas