low 3rd party support

General discussion and socializing.

Re: low 3rd party support

Postby vatas » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:30 pm

bumfrog wrote:make boulders dropping from cave walls a toggle, earned by buying the “Tunneling” skill[/list]

+1

Current "sometimes boulder" system just disables what little automation for mining is in Default Client. If someone can make a "proper" mining bot, they can make it chip down the boulders as they appear.

My suggested implementation would be to make separate "mine a boulder" -action that makes you hew liftable boulder from the cave wall (just like how Salem's mining works) so you could create them consistently and haul back on a cart if you're too poor to have wheelbarrows.

However, I do not want to create a situation where reasonable people on bus get so split on the vote on where to eat that "drive the bus off a cliff" ends up winning.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby dafels » Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:59 pm

it's 2023 and these threads still keep coming :lol:
dafels

Postby Zentetsuken » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:23 pm

Zentetsuken

Postby Kaios » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:48 am

Nightdawg wrote:
Pills wrote:when there are like 30-40 people in the group i'm in

This world was over for me the day snail decided he was going to spend 3 weeks no-lifing outside our walls trying to constantly grief us

Lmao this reminds me of mightysheep bullying 80 people in whatever bay, alone. And they called AD over. Eighty people.

how the fuck do y'all suck at this game so much, 40 of you can't deal with 1 fighter?

That’s another point that has been re-hashed about 1000 times but I can provide you with some details if you would like.

First of all when actual pvp occurs there is more than one fighter involved and Snail is easily capable of running around long enough to stay alive until his backup arrives.Those players that spend or have spent significant amounts of time learning the combat system and gaining an advantage in other forms such as custom client features do in fact have a better chance of winning against greater numbers compared to that of an inexperienced zerg against a smaller group.

Some of these guys have been doing this sort of thing for years and they have gotten quite good at it, meanwhile the players they harass typically don’t care about pvp that much in order to take the time to try and learn an incredibly obtuse and boring system nor do they have the same level of client features available to rely on. Often you will hear about how easy it is to run away from pvp and that may be true for those who actually spend time with it but in my experience the average player can’t even chase or run away properly and truly stands no chance against the losers that have monopolized the pvp scene for years now.
Kaios

Postby Nightdawg » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:28 pm

Kaios wrote:snip

In my first world, I got dunked on by players that are not great at pvp. That was World 11, my first legit world, starting to play from the moment it wiped. I was using the most retarded deck, barely managed to run from them, couldn't really fight back because they were more than us.
But brother, it took me 2 worlds of doing a little pvp here and there to get to a decent level. By 2 worlds I mean attending 5 fights in the first one, and maybe another 4 in the second one (cause my game kept crashing haha).
I was never the type of player that went to all of the fights either. How am I, the absolute scrub, able to get decent at it, but others that have been playing for 10+ years can't even learn the basiscs?
I got tired of being a victim after 1 world, so I tried to get better, instead of crying about it for 9 more years.

It's the same type of players (10+ years) that get knocked out by foxes still, don't understand the basics of mining and farming, take 3+ months to start taming animals, never unlock steel, etc. Often times they're not good at any kind of mechanic in this game. Not even one.
And that's fine, you can be trash, play casually, I don't care. HOWEVER, they're the first ones to shoot down any good suggestion made by a competent player, because said player suggests good stuff, rather than more bloat food and mechanics that simply add nothing to this game besides exploits. I get it that you can play casually, but this topic was literally explaining how there's ZERO 3rd party support for anything, and how those things are probably 50% of what keeps the game alive: a public map, a cookbook, public custom clients, etc.

How are they still the victim after 10 years? What kind of masochist continues to play this game and be a victim forever? If 80+ players can't shoo one single fighter away, don't you think the problem is with the players, and not the game? I'm not asking them to go to that single fighter's village and die, there's a difference between that and just shooing him away. And mind you, mechanics have been put in place so that there's combat equalisation, reaching lower mine levels takes more time = everyone will be at the same mine level = everyone will have similar quality gear.

It's not like snail had 50k stats next to that group of 30-40 people, nor did Mightysheep have quality 20k armor next to those 80 guys, lmao.

I've talked with solo players that grinded stats and the industry much better than me. They still learned the basics of fighting, even if they don't pvp ever. Learning how to pvp doesn't mean you're a hardcore player. This world our group literally had the worst industry and lower stats than everyone else. We were playing as casual as it can get.

The main argument of people who can't go 40 vs 1 is that "omg he has no life". Keep in mind that literally the same people that "omg have no life" are the ones praising changes like combat equalisation, global cooldown on mining levels, no more OP realm buffs, etc. The same "omg they have no life" players play much more casually than you think they do, AND THEY WANT STUFF TO BE MORE BALANCED. I love combat equalisation, salt being nerfed, realms no longer being OP, ship speed no longer depending on quality, questing having some limit, credos no longer being so OP and taking less quests per level.

I wish there were more changes like this, like rolling stat caps. I wish there was a public trading hub, like in Salem. I wish whales got nerfed into the ground. But for some reason my opinions are wrong, because I'm decent enough at pvp? What the fuck? lmao
I want this game to be fixed more than any of those absolute noobs that have 7 more years of experience than I do.

Anyway git gud or die trying. Don't complain if you instead decide to be the forever victim.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Archiplex » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:22 am

jorb wrote:So... what's the actionable development suggestion?

im late as hell on this but i remain of the opinion that the best way to bridge the gap between casuals and factions with tons of botting measures is by implementing an ingame source of automation for specific tasks (because apparently just making them less annoying is too much)

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=71972
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby SnuggleSnail » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:26 am

"It's not fun to make steel because of the timer."
"Okay, do you wanna lower the timer or something?"
"No. Remake Factorio."

Every day I am reminded the hermits deserve it
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Archiplex » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:33 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:"It's not fun to make steel because of the timer."
"Okay, do you wanna lower the timer or something?"
"No. Remake Factorio."

Every day I am reminded the hermits deserve it

we already asked the timer to be undone for like 4 years what's asking again gonna do

some larpy automation probably tickles them the right way in that they'd be willing to add it anyways

also factorio is based
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby SnuggleSnail » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:54 am

A compromise that's halfway retarded is still retarded. I guess that's been the outcome to almost every obvious problem with an obvious solution haven has ever had, to be fair.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Kaios » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:28 pm

Nightdawg wrote:
Kaios wrote:snip

snap

Well okay, there are some decent points among that ranting and raving but you completely ignored the main advantage that I mentioned which are the custom client features and that is quite honestly why most players do not even bother to learn combat because most of us have realized that regardless of any level of experience we obtain in relation to the mechanics themselves, it still does not create a level playing field when the opposition has not only their experience and often times higher stats, but also the custom client combat features that many of them rely on and make use of on a regular basis.

Of course, you also have players that grind out their stats to such insane levels that it makes competing with them nearly impossible anyways. As an example, Felix. I hear many players complaining about when they go up against someone like him. Now I don't think that everyone is grinding out stats to a level like his but many players that participate in PvP are still raising their stats at a rate far beyond the average player.

Sure, I could spend hours inside Valhalla sparring against other players with equal stats and gear, but regardless of how much experience I gain doing this it won't change other advantages provided by custom client features such as being able to view a target's cooldown or to be provided with other visual indicators. Information is just as important as experience, maybe even more, because if you have more information about your opponent during a fight than they have on you that does indeed provide a significant advantage.
Kaios

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar